BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Bosch oil filter six pack at a very good price. When they arrived, I realized that they are painted. Is this an issue on an internal filter setup like the LT? I've always used the BMW filters that are not painted.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I've used the "Black Painted" Bosch filters for over 50K miles with NO problems. Just make sure there is NO sticker on the filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe that the color coating on painted filters is either powder coating or baked on. The exterior of the LT's filter is exposed to oil and heat. Many vehicles, like my truck, have their filter in close proximity to an exhaust manifolds. The painted filter finish holds up under exposure to exhaust manifold heat. I suspect that manifold heat is much hotter then the heat applied to a filter in an oil bath.

The idea that oil will cause the panted finish to sluff off an oil filter sounds a bit like an oxymoron...oil harming an oil filter? Wouldn't you expressly choose an exterior finish for an oil filter that was impervious to oil as the outside of an oil filter is from time to time exposed to some oil?

The inside of the oil filter cover is painted / coated and has constant oil exposure, this exposure is not an issue. Many on this forum have used painted bosch oil filters and no one has ever noted any problems with the painted finish. Most just say to ensure all stickers are removed from the filter before installation. All this said I too had the same concerns when installing my first bosch filter.

Hope this helps, Steve

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would suspect if any flaking of the paint were to occur, the filter would prevent the flakes from going any further.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Caution - you MUST have a BMW logo on your oil filter or your Brick will explode! :eek:

(I've been using the "painted" Bosch filters for over 180K on two LT's and they both are still ticking along nicely...)

RockAuto.com usually has the absolute best price - I think I paid $3.70 each last time - and you don't need to buy a case. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
When I ordered my service kit from Beemer Boneyard it came with the Bosch filter. They had already removed the sitcker and put it on the box. I took this as a hint. So the last time I changed my oil I bought a Bosch filter and removed the sticker. And in the For What It's Worth Department when I cleaned to old one off, (just to check) it looked like the day I installed it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Used the painted K&N filters for years now without issue as well.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I agree with the Steves et. al. I use Bosch or Wix with no problems. I don't even think about it. Plenty of other stuff to think about. Like cagers, ice on the roads, final drive, sand and gravel on the road, the cold, final drive, speed limits, setting up for the next corner, final drive. Truth be known, I actually don't think about final drives.

Just ride and enjoy!

Loren

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Does anyone know of a source for oil filters painted in Canyon Red?
Curtis!..........I had no idea you were such a fashion conscious tart ......... :histerica

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Does anyone know of a source for oil filters painted in Canyon Red?
No, but know first hand where a Canyon Red LT resides that could use a couple :wave

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Curtis, I'll trade you two cases of custom painted Canyon Red oil filters for one FD rebuild. What do you say? :D
Bargain ! :thumb:

I knew I could come up with a color coordinated oil filter from somewhere.
That paint won't come off in my crankcase will it?!?! :histerica

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see an idea for a small business opportunity. Hand painted oil filters with the picture of your choosing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey, great question. See my thread on buying an oil filter from Wally World. The filter isn't as well-built as a Bosch, but no one has complained about them. My personal experience, over a 15 year period, never had a problem with a Wally World oil filter.

Glenn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts