BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really liked the color of my LT and have thought about painting it. I still haven't had to disassemble the bike for any reason so I'm not sure what it's going to take to get all the painted parts off. I sure don't want to get into good riding weather and my bike be all over the shop floor.
Has anyone painted their bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Is your ride Toscani Green in color? One of the prettiest colors there is for an LT. Saw one on a ride once and it sure is a pretty color. And I don't like green!

Dona search on paint on the LT forum. There was a post last week from a member who painted his LT one of those colors that change in different light conditions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
311 Posts
I have done 10-15 bikes,,Pretty easy just remove all the tupperware wet sand all the panels, primer-paint-- followed by clear coat. If you have never painted take it to your local body shop and they will clamp the pieces in an octopus and paint it for you...Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wa...yes, it's Toscani Green. Seems like I get lots of positive comments from ladies about the color but I've just never taken to it. It is good about "not" showing dirt.

roadcrave....I have done quite a bit of painting but I have NEVER taken an LT apart. That's where I'm concerned. The most I've done is to take the mirrors off and one side fairing off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
RocketRon said:
I've never really liked the color of my LT and have thought about painting it. I still haven't had to disassemble the bike for any reason so I'm not sure what it's going to take to get all the painted parts off. I sure don't want to get into good riding weather and my bike be all over the shop floor.
Has anyone painted their bike?
Hey Ron,
If your machine is Toscana.. I have a riding buddy that thinks that is about the best color there has been in a LT.. Perhaps before you paint .. if you are going to pull the skins.. you should work out a swap if the year parts would swap His is an 00' and gray... HUMMM ?? we might be starting a new theme,,,

Bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
Maybe we could organize a "swap meet" - where those who want to change the color of their bikes meet, strip it, and switch painted pieces with someone else. Seriously.

I'd love to have the Toscani Green (or Canyon Red!) on my LT; maybe somebody would like my Dark Graphite Metallic - whether for a permanent change, or something they'd keep for awhile before painting it.

I proposed the same thing a couple of years ago regarding the seat and trim. I have gray but I want black. Someone took me up on that offer but I didn't follow through on it.

<edit>
I see Bill posted the same idea just as I hit enter. So there you are - at least 2 minds thinking alike. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
hschisler said:
Maybe we could organize a "swap meet" - where those who want to change the color of their bikes meet, strip it, and switch painted pieces with someone else. Seriously.

I'd love to have the Toscani Green (or Canyon Red!) on my LT; maybe somebody would like my Dark Graphite Metallic - whether for a permanent change, or something they'd keep for awhile before painting it.

I proposed the same thing a couple of years ago regarding the seat and trim. I have gray but I want black. Someone took me up on that offer but I didn't follow through on it.

<edit>
I see Bill posted the same idea just as I hit enter. So there you are - at least 2 minds thinking alike. :)
Pretty scary Howard.. Isn't it.. HEE.. actually I agree.. a change can be a good thing !! PS my 05' is the dark graphite and I like that.. I just figured all those pre 05 colors were out for us.. different body parts :<( I guess I have to wait on new exciting colors.. like Black :<)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
Why would you want to paint over the prettiest color BMW ever painted a bike? Honestly though, I did not see mine in the daylight until I had already made the purchase, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the comments that women make all the time about the bike and it's color!

I was not too crazy about the color at first, didn't really care one way or the other, but it has grown on me and I'm glad that it's so rare. I think that less than 5% were made that color.

So, before you paint it, you might want to give it a second thought or maybe swap with someone who has an "Impala Brown" or would like to own one of the rarest BMW colors.....
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Those of us here in Texas must just have the luck as we have one of the best Bike painters in our own back yard.
His name is Davis Kinsey AKA D.Kinsey here on the forum. Here's a few pics of his LT that he painted ALL black (even the chrome parts & forks) with Kandy Red wheels.
Send him a PM & I'm sure he'll send all the pics of his work you want



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I have a silver 2002. I always wondered what it would look like with blue sides, green bags and a red top case.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
RocketRon said:
I think you're all on to something. A LOT less work to just swap with someone. I just didn't think there would be any takers for the green.

This could become a "SWAP" forum. Anything else you wana swap for a while??? :rotf:
Ron the first step is to indicate the year of your LT and post a couple of different pic's of the bike. FWIW I like the green color also! :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
cealbrecht said:
I have a silver 2002. I always wondered what it would look like with blue sides, green bags and a red top case.....
Think Christmas....................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
katnapinn said:
Those of us here in Texas must just have the luck as we have one of the best Bike painters in our own back yard.
His name is Davis Kinsey AKA D.Kinsey here on the forum. Here's a few pics of his LT that he painted ALL black (even the chrome parts & forks) with Kandy Red wheels.
Send him a PM & I'm sure he'll send all the pics of his work you want



Thanks Steve......the problem with painting is that it cost money :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
RocketRon said:
I think you're all on to something. A LOT less work to just swap with someone. I just didn't think there would be any takers for the green.

This could become a "SWAP" forum. Anything else you wana swap for a while??? :rotf:
Sure, I kind of like that green as well, but do be aware that the saddlebag lids are held on with rivets at the hinges. You will need to drill out the hinges to remove the lids from the rest of the compartments. They can be re-attached with nuts & bolts if you prefer however.

And shipping something as large and bulky as the trunk and side fairings could become quite spendy.

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
Just spitballing here...

So, we all meet in some central location - somewhere with a shop (to get out of the weather) and someone who has the skills, knowledge and tools to remove all the painted pieces, including the aforementioned-riveted pieces. It could be done assembly-line fashion, and much of the work could be done on the bikes simultaneously. Lunch would be provided. Sounds like a very specific kind of Tech Session!

To clarify, I was thinking of a permanent swap. No going back to the original color. This wouldn't be an LT parts library, but a permanent deal.

One downside I can think: owner A's LT parts are not in the same condition as owner B's. There would have to be a way to resolve that.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,989 Posts
No need to drill out the rivets just 4 bolts & the whole case comes off. You would want to keep the handles so your ignition key still works. They unbolt as well. I'm not sure about changing the top case lock. I wouldn't want to have more than one key. Stingray key lock would need changing as well.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,989 Posts
I had the pleasure of looking at D.Kinsey's custom painted black LT this past News Years day. The pictures don't look anywhere near as good as the bike actually looks. I have been around custom painted bikes & cars since the early 70s. It is very obvious that the prep work was correctly done before the paint was applied. The paint finish looks like black chrome. I saw no orange peel at all. I also didn't notice any chips in the paint (unlike my two month old paint job).

I would not have any problem sending David pieces to be painted. When I spoke to him it was obvious he knows what he is doing getting the plastic peices prepped for paint. A lot of painters wont take the time to prep everything correctly because of the time it takes.

I don't impress very easily but I was very impressed on the quality of his paint job. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
It is soooooo hard for me to remain humble in the presence of mere mortals but if I didn't have my sidecar painted to match my bike I would swap my purple(the color of royalty) skins for your green ones in a second! Anyone have a Toscani green sidecar and bike they want to swap?????

This would truly be one for the books!

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
saddleman said:
I had the pleasure of looking at D.Kinsey's custom painted black LT this past News Years day. The pictures don't look anywhere near as good as the bike actually looks.
I don't impress very easily but I was very impressed on the quality of his paint job. :thumb:

Saddleman,...how did Huntersville and El Paso connect on NY day? One of you must have had a LOOOOONG ride!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top