BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my 2000 K1200LT painted and was wondering what other people have paid. Quotes are all over the map. My bike is steel blue and I am looking to change it to black. Nothing fancy like flames, naked ladies, or jaws either.

How did you find the right person to do it? I called the local dealer for a referral and their guy costs around $800. Does that sound right?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
That's damn cheep For a Color change paint Job. I have a quote for $200 to $300 just to paint the tank & fender on a Honda.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Chinese paint......

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
To cheap.... ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
that doesnt sound high at all. However, in the past i went with the cheapest price and the final product always had some flaw in it. i found a guy who paints my friends classic cars. he is not cheap but the paint jobs are always perfect

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 05 LT is getting worked over right now. Full paint.My buddy Travis paints at the local Ford dealership. One quart of primmer is $300. Travis is doing my LT for the price of paint he said that should be around $1100 for paint and primmer.

KC

·
Registered
635 Posts
That does sound inexpensive. I had a lid for a top case painted to match a previous bike and it cost me $160.00 but the job was flawless for a very difficult color to match.

·
Registered
84 Posts
kclineman10 said:
My 05 LT is getting worked over right now. Full paint.My buddy Travis paints at the local Ford dealership. One quart of primmer is $300. Travis is doing my LT for the price of paint he said that should be around $1100 for paint and primmer.

KC
what kind of primer costs $1200.00 a gallon???????

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've done quite a bit of painting over the years. Never seen a primer for $300 a qt. My primer is around $35 a qt. The most expensive paint I've used (solid color....not metal flake) was a Red that was used on some exotic sports car. It was about $125. for a qt. A qt would do a couple of LT's. Then, if you use a base coat / clear coat, You'll have under a hundred in your clear.

I would consider the tear down and reassemble the most difficult part of the job. $800 for the paint job is very fair. I assume he's not taking it apart and reassembling it for that price.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
"My 05 LT is getting worked over right now. Full paint.My buddy Travis paints at the local Ford dealership. One quart of primmer is $300. Travis is doing my LT for the price of paint he said that should be around $1100 for paint and primmer."

Your buddy Travis needs to drive to Topeka where primer is 30 bucks a quart.

I'm guessing Travis ain't really your buddy if he's telling you he'll have 1100 bucks in materials in a cycle paint job. Don't take my word for it though, hop on down to O'Reilly Auto and price it yourself. One quart of pre-thinned primer, one quart of base color, one quart of clear, 1/2 pint of activator, and one gallon of thinner. Maybe 300 bucks but probably 200 or less.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
800.00 should cover it as long as you didn't want the parts cleaned, sanded, primed, sanded, sealed, based, cleared, sanded and polished or the insides/undersides done or any damage filled..... :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I have it torn apart already and all of the pieces are ready to go. It is in good condition with most pieces that have no scratches and only a couple with very little scratches. The local BMW dealer recommended the place.

I thought about doing it myself but figured I'd probably mess it up. Father in law bought me an auto painting kit from Costco when we were building a house. Unsure whether he thought I could use it for painting the house or if he was just buying stuff at Costco because he likes going there.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What are you going with? Remember..... :worthless

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point. I like the all black look. But the red might be nice too.

Pictures include what it looked like before tear down, current and my son, niece and nephew.

I've got a friend that's a graphic artist. Maybe I can get him to do a rendition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe Travis told me the wrong price or I heard the wrong price for primmer, I feel painting an entire LT for $1100 is not a bad price considering all of the work.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I would agree. $1100.00 for a paint job done correctly on an LT is very fair. Good paint takes a bunch of time and a bunch of meticulous work. Most of it is labor.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What's wrong with that color?!! :confused: I think its one of the better colors on our bike, but I'm biased 'cause that's what color mine is! Actually, truth be told, I'd follow David's word/work/advice since I've seen his work first hand....and it is awesome! :bowdown: If he posted some good pics of his bike, you could use it as an example of what right looks like to your chosen painter......if I did any other color than what I (and you) have, I'd use David's as my poster child! :D :wave

Bottom line, if you want it done right, don't skimp!

carsonw42 said:
Oops. Pictures are too large. Will have to resize them.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
BlauBeeMr said:
What's wrong with that color?!! :confused: I think its one of the better colors on our bike, but I'm biased 'cause that's what color mine is! Actually, truth be told, I'd follow David's word/work/advice since I've seen his work first hand....and it is awesome! :bowdown: If he posted some good pics of his bike, you could use it as an example of what right looks like to your chosen painter......if I did any other color than what I (and you) have, I'd use David's as my poster child! :D :wave

Bottom line, if you want it done right, don't skimp!
Thanks Kenny!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts