BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hold a Utah CFP (concealed firearm permit) I have a home in Utah, but right now it's rented out. Anyway, I first went to the FAQ and could not find any threads re: this subject.
I believe there are 31 or 35 states that honor my CFP. In NV I have to LOC (loaded open carry) but not conceal which I think is rather odd. Anyway, most of the southern states have reciprocity laws with Utah.
So, anyone out there besides retired LEOs have licenses? When you enter a state that does not reciprocate, what do you do? I know in CA it has to be locked up in a solid container, which I would take with me for those states that do not honor concealed permits.
How about UOC? (unloaded open carry) anyone done this?
I plan to pack concealed and follow all state laws I enter or cross. I'm an old guy and I can't fight - but I can shoot!
Eddie
ps my weapon of choice is my 9mm G19 and hidden away will be my former off-duty .38 S&W AirWeight.

·
Registered
717 Posts
In a nutshell, you follow the state's laws on transporting a firearm. Typically, unloaded and locked with ammo stored separately should comply to most states (there are a couple of Draconian states that are exceptions).

Following the state's laws extends to how and where you can carry.
Check this website if you haven't seen it before.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Finally, I would double check the validity of your permit if Utah is no longer your primary residence.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
EddieLo said:
I hold a Utah CFP (concealed firearm permit) I have a home in Utah, but right now it's rented out. Anyway, I first went to the FAQ and could not find any threads re: this subject.
I believe there are 31 or 35 states that honor my CFP. In NV I have to LOC (loaded open carry) but not conceal which I think is rather odd. Anyway, most of the southern states have reciprocity laws with Utah.
So, anyone out there besides retired LEOs have licenses? When you enter a state that does not reciprocate, what do you do? I know in CA it has to be locked up in a solid container, which I would take with me for those states that do not honor concealed permits.
I plan to pack concealed and follow all state laws I enter or cross. I'm an old guy and I can't fight - but I can shoot!
Eddie
ps my weapon of choice is my 9mm G19 and hidden away will be my former off-duty .38 S&W AirWeight.
Eddie, the only state that I see that you might have a problem carrying with a Utah permit, other than California, would be New Mexico. I found this page with some helpful info: http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=22127
Texas did sign an agreement with New Mexico that states full reciprocity as long as the holder is 21. Us permit holders need to stick together.

Robert

·
Registered
205 Posts
There are quite a few states where there are no legal means for a non-resident to carry, just a few examples, illinois, new york, new jersey, california, mass. But you can transport under the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) as long as you follow the guidelines. When I am in transport mode I put the gun in the mirror case locked in my top case.

Here are 2 good references:
FOPA
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title27-vol3/xml/CFR-2009-title27-vol3-sec478-38.xml

State by state:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
CharlieVT said:
+1 on that. I buy the updated guide every year.

Regarding the Utah permit: You do not need to be a Utah resident to have that state's permit. You can receive a UT permit by taking the course from a certified UT instructor - anywhere. I took the one-day course in Pittsburgh. Having the UT permit greatly expands your legal concealed carry options.

Regarding threads on this site, on this topic: They may not be in the FAQ or Hall of Wisdom but there are several threads that have discussed this topic. They're out there, with lots of discussion on how to carry, what to carry, when to use, etc., etc. Kind of like our oil and tire threads - lots of opinions. :)

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
EddieLo said:
Eddie
You mention "off-duty". Are you a former LEO?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
dukey33 said:
In a nutshell, you follow the state's laws on transporting a firearm. Typically, unloaded and locked with ammo stored separately should comply to most states (there are a couple of Draconian states that are exceptions).

Following the state's laws extends to how and where you can carry.
Check this website if you haven't seen it before.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Finally, I would double check the validity of your permit if Utah is no longer your primary residence.[/QUOTE

NY is a pain. My solution since I live in PA right next to the border was to get a NY permit. I was told this was not possible as a non-resident, but it turns out that working in NY also qualifies and since I do I applied for a permit. The application from Steuben County said on it quite clearly that you had to be a NY resident, but I just ignored that and sent in the application and fee. After getting finger printed, providing 4 references in NY state, a personal visit to my home by a Steuben County Sheriff's Deputy (very nice gentlemen by the way and we had a great discussion about handguns), and about 4 months of time, I got my permit in the mail. Had to visit the county clerks office to add my handguns to the permit, but that was a non-event also.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Eddie,

I would research every state you will riding through to keep out of trouble. California is a real pain in the ass - certain ammo is illegal like the Zombie Max Critical Defense rounds. Also the maximum magazine size is 10. So I had to go out and by low capacity magazines just because of their requirements.

Texas requires that you immediately produce your CCW license when pulled over or you risk having it suspended.

And the list goes on. Fortunately a law as passed in 2010 allowing conceal carry in all federal parks if you hold a valid license.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir when I say that we need a national conceal carry law.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Gruivis said:
Eddie,

I would research every state you will riding through to keep out of trouble. California is a real pain in the ass - certain ammo is illegal like the Zombie Max Critical Defense rounds. Also the maximum magazine size is 10. So I had to go out and by low capacity magazines just because of their requirements.

Texas requires that you immediately produce your CCW license when pulled over or you risk having it suspended.

And the list goes on. Fortunately a law as passed in 2010 allowing conceal carry in all federal parks if you hold a valid license.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir when I say that we need a national conceal carry law.

Greg
One clarification on Texas.

It used to be that if you had a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) you were obligated to produce the CHL if pulled over, whether or not you were carrying. I believe that the law was amended to require you to produce your CHL only if you were carrying.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hschisler said:
+1 on that. I buy the updated guide every year.

Regarding the Utah permit: You do not need to be a Utah resident to have that state's permit. You can receive a UT permit by taking the course from a certified UT instructor - anywhere. I took the one-day course in Pittsburgh. Having the UT permit greatly expands your legal concealed carry options.

Regarding threads on this site, on this topic: They may not be in the FAQ or Hall of Wisdom but there are several threads that have discussed this topic. They're out there, with lots of discussion on how to carry, what to carry, when to use, etc., etc. Kind of like our oil and tire threads - lots of opinions. :)
Howard, thanks for this info but just how do I access those threads? I want to read as much as possible before my TX trip.
Eddie

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
deputy5211 said:
One clarification on Texas.

It used to be that if you had a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) you were obligated to produce the CHL if pulled over, whether or not you were carrying. I believe that the law was amended to require you to produce your CHL only if you were carrying.
Tony, I plan to *always* carry concealed where ever it is permitted. An unloaded gun in a locked container is useless if you ever need to use it. Unless the bad guy is willing to wait a few minutes so you can access your weapon which I think will never happen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
185 Posts
Eddie, does Pandora's Box ring a bell, If you are a RLEO, you need to know about POBRA, PATRIOT ACT etc. and have LDF to back you up. As a Citizen, there is just sooo much to know to CYA. Don't know it its worth it, just dont stop anywhere! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
EddieLo said:
Howard, thanks for this info but just how do I access those threads? I want to read as much as possible before my TX trip.
Eddie
Just use the Search function on the top of your screen. For example: I entered the word "conceal" (without the quotes). That search returned 34 threads (discussions); the first few are:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69373&highlight=conceal
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34450&highlight=conceal
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58808&highlight=conceal
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54360&highlight=conceal
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51712&highlight=conceal

There's a LOT of reading out there for you!
Other threads will be exposed if you search for "CCW", "weapon", "permit", etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Voyager said:
You mention "off-duty". Are you a former LEO?
Yes. Honolulu PD, UCSC PD, Santa Barbara PD. It was short but a sweet career. Lost 4 partners and good friends.
RIP: Larry Stewart, Robert Corter Merlin Kaeo (all killed in the line of duty) and Enoch Kaina, my good friend. (passed away after long recuperation from being shot by fleeing perp with .45)
Left LE partially because I had five children and my absence would have left my wife with inability to provide for my children.
Now, many years later if I pass while biking, I'll die happy. Of course I'll be happier if I don't. :bmw:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hschisler said:
Just use the Search function on the top of your screen. For example: I entered the word "conceal" (without the quotes). That search returned 34 threads (discussions); the first few are:

<deleted the links provided>

There's a LOT of reading out there for you!
Other threads will be exposed if you search for "CCW", "weapon", "permit", etc.
Wow! Great links Howard. Have spent the last few hours reading all the posts. Excellent posts out there. Never thought of using the search engine.
Thanks!
Eddie

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Here is a good site concerning concealed carry.....

http://www.usconcealedcarry.net/

..............the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
EddieLo said:
Now, many years later if I pass while biking, I'll die happy. Of course I'll be happier if I don't. :bmw:
We will be happier, too, if you stick around a while!

Look me up when you come to/through the Lone State State!

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
EddieLo said:
Yes. Honolulu PD, UCSC PD, Santa Barbara PD. It was short but a sweet career. Lost 4 partners and good friends.
RIP: Larry Stewart, Robert Corter Merlin Kaeo (all killed in the line of duty) and Enoch Kaina, my good friend. (passed away after long recuperation from being shot by fleeing perp with .45)
Left LE partially because I had five children and my absence would have left my wife with inability to provide for my children.
The reason I asked is that I ride in a group with a former local city police chief. He said when he retired he was able to get a special federal license/permit that allows him to carry anywhere in the US. I don't know the details, but can ask him if you would like more information. He said what he has is good in all 50 states.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts