BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a great bike to take a long trip on------what I miss the most about the LT is the power it had-----very few if any people on cars or bikes ever passed me if I made that choice----it is cool to pass a flat out HD and as you pass shift into 5th---pisses them off a bit.

I find this to be very true.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
LOL...............it puts a smile on my face! :dance:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Life is great. Is there anything any better than above mentioned. In all seriousness, we should makes cutting comments about those who have beautiful bikes left in the garage to get old without seeing many miles on their tires. What a shame. :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
MountianMama said:
----it is cool to pass a flat out HD and as you pass shift into 5th---pisses them off a bit.

I find this to be very true.
What is even cooler is to roll up next to them with the cruise engaged, wave with your throttle hand as you accelerate away with the cruise.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm not sure what is about it...but to pass a harley makes my bike run better!:rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
jzeiler said:
What is even cooler is to roll up next to them with the cruise engaged, wave with your throttle hand as you accelerate away with the cruise.
Interesting. I didn't know others did that, too! :cool:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You guys are thinking too small. The best feeling I get is when I pass them, on a curve, on the inside, laid over, and waving as I go by.

·
Registered
204 Posts
jzeiler said:
I love doing that! I was rolling down I-480 last week in the fast lane, cruise locked on 78mph, MP3 player blasting and my foot resting on the tip-over wing. came up on, and passed a squid wearing a backpack on a japanese crotch rocket of undetermined size. he was layed fully out on the gas tank, feet on the rear pegs, with his neck bent at an uncomfortable looking 90 degree angle as he peered out of his diminutive windscreen. I just laughed, shook my head at the ridiculousness in this world and waved as I passed. Good grief...

·
Registered
338 Posts
To pass a Harley means that the remainder of my trip will be significantly quieter!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well, I ride with a couple guys who have Wings and we see who has the faster bike from time to time.

If it is a dead stop they beat me off the line but if we are rolling, I am stifting out of first gear when they are shifting into 3 or 4th. What really makes them made though is when I shift from 4th to 5th as I go by them and they have nothing left.

It always puts a smile on my wifes face to beat these guys.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Tom1200 said:
Well, I ride with a couple guys who have Wings and we see who has the faster bike from time to time.

If it is a dead stop they beat me off the line but if we are rolling, I am stifting out of first gear when they are shifting into 3 or 4th. What really makes them made though is when I shift from 4th to 5th as I go by them and they have nothing left.

It always puts a smile on my wifes face to beat these guys.
This works because you are riding against folks who don't know how to ride their Wings. The LT tops out in first gear about 60 MPH. The Wing will go more than 60 MPH in 3rd gear and even in 2nd. If these guys are shifting this quickly, they are leaving a lot of performance on the table.

And virtually every test I have seen of the Wing and the LT shows the Wing being quicker through the quarter mile and this is with speeds well above 60 MPH. The LT often has a slightly higher trap speed so it is gaining on the Wing at that point, but since the time for the Wing is quicker, the Wing is still ahead at the quarter mile point.

However, the fact that the LT has nearly comparable acceleration with only 2/3rds the displacement IS impressive!

·
Registered
187 Posts
My favorite pass came a few years ago.
Running on a four lane about 70mph, as I approach a Harley in front of me. He begins to speed up, I did the same. We did this a couple times a few mph at a time until we’re both running 85. After a short while of this he slows down and I pass with a friendly wave. Later down the road I pull in for fuel, and see the guy come in later behind me. He pulls up and says, “You know, I don’t race all these new bikes that are on the road anymore. But when you went by me you had your hand off the throttle and was eating something. I had to pull in and see what you were ridding.” We both laughed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
BallsCasten said:
My favorite pass came a few years ago.
Running on a four lane about 70mph, as I approach a Harley in front of me. He begins to speed up, I did the same. We did this a couple times a few mph at a time until we’re both running 85. After a short while of this he slows down and I pass with a friendly wave. Later down the road I pull in for fuel, and see the guy come in later behind me. He pulls up and says, “You know, I don’t race all these new bikes that are on the road anymore. But when you went by me you had your hand off the throttle and was eating something. I had to pull in and see what you were ridding.” We both laughed.
Now, that is funny!:rotf:

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK, I have a question about the cruise, I know if you bump it forward it will increase 1mph at a time. What happens if you just hold it forward will it just keep accelerating?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Lafirecapt said:
OK, I have a question about the cruise, I know if you bump it forward it will increase 1mph at a time. What happens if you just hold it forward will it just keep accelerating?
Yes.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts