BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attached photo is of my '09 LT right front brake line, just above the caliper. It's a short length of brake line which appears to have way too much of a bend to it. Seems like it ought to be a straight run the entire length, but never noticed it before. I tried loosening the connection at the top to see if it would straighten itself out, but it showed no inclination to want to move from the position its in. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Is the other side the same? I looked at the Spiegler's on my '02 and both are basically straight. For what it's worth, that hose on my bike's left side failed at the crimp in 2009.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Left side is straight! I flushed my brakes a couple of weeks ago. In the process I removed the frony calipers to check the pads for wear and to generally clean them up. Was beginning to think maybe I reinstalled the right caliper incorrectly and created the bend in the line. But after looking at it closely I don't see how i could possibly have created the bend as the calipers only go on one way! Given RonK's reply, must be the way they designed the system, although it sure looks like it places undue stress on a critical area.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mine is the same and BTW, I ordered the BMW front brake line and it comes with both pieces and the connector block all as one part.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine on my 02 was the same, bent on the right side. THEN...it ruptured. I replaced with Spiegler stainless lines that are straight on both sides. Per the parts fiche at MAX BMW, both OEM lines start out straight.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51717&rnd=03252011

I think that the stress causes the bend/kink and eminent failure. I would seriously think about replacing it ASAP. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. From an engineering perspective, many elements of this bike are simple, elegant or downright beautiful. Then there are others, like this brake hose, that leave you thinking "WTF"! One thing is for certain, I love riding it!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts