BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all...

Yet another perfect solution found on this forum :)

Yesterday I started up my K12 for my journey home from work, having left her idling for 10-15 minutes I returned to find that she had wet herself....Poor girl, there she was with a damp patch about a foot in diameter right between her wheels.

I lifted the seat and almost got a blast from the super soaker nozzle on the expansion tank, what the buggery was causing that I thought !! :confused:

So, i took the gamble that once riding she would calm down and get me home(130 miles ) and she did... However, when I went out on her later yesterday, oh she wasn't a happy girl at all, temperature was a rising, fans were constantly on and she was having a hissy fit underneath my seat.

I got home and flicked on the Lappy and straight into this forum, and there were a couple of scenarios but the diagnosis that fitted the problem was quite simple....

Replace the ~ Radiator Cap

As BMW parts are closed here on Sundays I had to find a temporary replacement.. BMW caps are 1.5 bar but all I could find was a 0.9 bar. So, off I went home and fitted it to the radiator, and hey presto... no more gushing expansion bottle !!

I shall get a 1.5 bar asap

Thanks you all out there for yet another perfect fix !!

Panman

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
1.5 bar?

Thats a lot of pressure.

A couple of years ago was on the way to Sturgis and had about the same experience you had.

Seems a cap for a Chevy little 3 cylinder whatever they are works just fine. Still there and holding.

Go to a car parts store and ask for a radiator cap for a BMW motorcycle will get you some real stoopid looks. Put your old one on the counter and mumble about a Chevy, or Ford I'd guess, a 2002 model year and they'll go looking and match it up.

Think a .9 bar one will be fine as long as you don't try to cross the Sahara desert and get caught in stopped traffic.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,593 Posts
I don't recommend letting her idle that long it just waists fuel and serves no useful purpose. Do that with an oil head boxer and you will destroy the engine.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Yup - idling that long is not recommended by the manufacturer. Book sez, under "Starting", 'Caution' - "Do not allow the engine to idle with the motorcycle at a standstill - risk of overheating. Avoid even short warm-up periods. Ride away immediately after starting the engine."

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Last spring I decided to try something to keep my LT running cooler down here in the land of never ending heat..........
After changing coolant (always use BMW coolant) I added a cap full of Redline Water Wetter........................................
results = temp. stays always a fraction below the "middle" tick........while returning home from a failede attempt to get to Maine last week, I found myself in Downtown Pittsburg at 4:30 PM..................stop, go, stop, go..........no problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dick said:
Yup - idling that long is not recommended by the manufacturer. Book sez, under "Starting", 'Caution' - "Do not allow the engine to idle with the motorcycle at a standstill - risk of overheating. Avoid even short warm-up periods. Ride away immediately after starting the engine."
I don't get this. All internal combustion engines are supposed to warm a little before any use of the throttle or being placed under a load. :confused:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
rswisher said:
I don't get this. All internal combustion engines are supposed to warm a little before any use of the throttle or being placed under a load. :confused:
Old school, like 3,000 mile oil changes -- just not necessary anymore. If you have oil pressure, you're good to go.

Welcome to the 21st Century. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jzeiler said:
I don't recommend letting her idle that long it just waists fuel and serves no useful purpose. Do that with an oil head boxer and you will destroy the engine.
Noted... :eek: I wont be doing that again...It was just a habit as my journey home starts on a motorway(freeway) and always thought warm was better than cold !! Thanks for the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts