BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last hour found the only fuel pump in town with a faulty shut-off valve. Overfilled the tank by six or eight ounces or so. Fuel spilled onto the ground.

So.....DOES this create issues with the charcoal cannister, etc., or CAN this create those troubles?

Anything I need to do at this point besides ride? I'm always meticulous concerning fueling up the LT, this one caught me off guard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
This happened to me once, no problem, excess went out the overflow tube. Mine was more then 8 oz or so, I had my back turned figuring shut off would click off, but it just kept on pumping.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Take it out on the highway, open throttle W.F.O. (wide firetrucken open), hold for 20 min. Just kidding, you're OK.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

A hearty thank you for putting my mind at ease!

I actually thought about the "fire" issue all on my own, thanks.....about half hour ago! Shoulda sat and had a cup of coffee while the gas/fumes evaporated/dissipated.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Happened to me 3 weeks ago. Keep an eye on your gas gage, if it goes up! your canister is clogged. Open your gas cap and leave it loose till you get home and do a canisterectomy. Otherwise what the other guys say. What year is your bike?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'03.

nearmisses said:
Happened to me 3 weeks ago. Keep an eye on your gas gage, if it goes up! your canister is clogged. Open your gas cap and leave it loose till you get home and do a canisterectomy. Otherwise what the other guys say. What year is your bike?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get rid of the Canister before it's to late!

If I were you I would remove the canister and eliminate any chance of a problem down the road. In July of this year I purchased another 03 LTE after my first 03 was totaled in an accident. Little did I know that the previous owner on occasion overfilled the tank to get the gauge to read full. On my way to CCR I found out I had a problem just outside Casper, WY. The engine started losing power, not a good feeling. I stopped at a gas station and found a vacuum in the tank. Feeling good that I had found the problem I left the gas cap loose and figured I would pull the canister when I got to Jackson Lake. With about a 100 miles to go the fuel pump started crying screaming like mad. I made it to Jackson Lake Lodge and lucky for me BMW of Salt Lake replaced the fuel pump at Jackson Lake. BMW of Salt Lake believes the plugged canister killed the fuel pump.
Why take a chance pull the canister. Just my opinion.

Will Hedgspeth
03 LTE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts