BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did an oil change and I can't tell if I put too much or too little oil in. Any opinions?
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
2012 R1200RT
24 Posts
No way to tell looking at the sight gage only. The manual specifies the oil capacity when changing oil, with and without filter change.
The procedure for checking oil levels make no sense from a user standpoint. You have to ride for an extended period of time with no idea whether the level is sufficient or not. The only logical thing to do is to do oil level checks at the end of each ride. Of course when you add oil (which happens frequently!) you still have no idea what the level actually is until after the next ride.
The drive train on these bikes is at least 50 years behind. Its kind of like working on a 1950s era John Deere tractor.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It certainly looks like the window is full, oil level should be in the red circle. Is this before you started the motor after putting oil in? With filter change 4 litres (4 US quarts) is correct amount. Technically it's a bit less but I just put the 4 litres in and it's below top of red circle.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all... I did unfortunately overfill the bike. Luckily I was able a little of the oil out and now I am back in business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts