BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed the oil leak on the drive shaft housing after the rubber boot...I will assume it is the O-ring that is leaking...my question is when replacing the o-ring, will I be at a point that the weep hole could also be drilled?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hey,

I've had a slight amount of oil under the boot for some time, before and after the weep hole drilling. It hasn't been enough for me to worry about, more of a trace than a leak.

If it is coming from "on high" it is your output seal and YES drill the weep hole then. For "short money" (yours not mine :)) I would replace the slave and the other seal up top.

If it is coming from "down under" then it's coming from the final drive. That is where mine is leaking. I have put over 35K since I noticed it and it hasn't improved or got worse. I've got a spare final drive I'm debating whether to rebuild and install or wait.

How bad is the leak? Notice a few drops after pushing the boot back or is it developing a "level"?

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Ron_Kendall said:
I have developed the oil leak on the drive shaft housing after the rubber boot...I will assume it is the O-ring that is leaking...my question is when replacing the o-ring, will I be at a point that the weep hole could also be drilled?
Before you get all crazy, try to determine what is leaking. Having been in your boat prior, I replaced the FD oil with royal purple oil, ran it a bit, then checked the leak. If its your FD, you know what you are up against.

If however it is the seals at the GB, determine if it is a little or allot leak. Run Synthetic in the GB? if so, change back to Dino and the leak will either slow or stop. If it is allot then replacing the seals (I suggest the stealer) need replacing, to get to the GB the swing arm has to be removed thus allowing access to the slave..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Ron_Kendall said:
There is no o-ring anywhere near there to leak. If you opened up the boot and found oil in there then like Hoss said you need to figure out whther it is from the rear output seal on the tranny or the input pinion seal on the rear drive. Neither of which have anything to do with the weep hole. Usually is is a weeping leak out of the rear tranny seal. Not a big deal unless it starts flowing instead of weeping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts