BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enclosed are some pictures of the updated slave cylinder. I am showing my old cylinder which was failing last winter and replaced ( With the same design ). The only visual change that I can see is a change in the circlip retainer. A couple months back a there was a thread regarding this upgrade without pics.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grifscoots said:
Good job, Pete! Let's hope it will make the drilling parties obsolete.
Right on Griff ! Ironically I just responded to the HID deal ya have brewing. The price is right , Deal or no Deal..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Not a major re-design...

This does not look like a major redesign to me, but it does appear that perhaps they used the new design of circlip to keep the bearing from spinning excessively, producing heat and ruining the seal????? Anyone concur?

Frankly, the potential for leakage is still there, so I would continue to drill the weephole on my own bike as a preventative measure. It just seems wise.

It is also wise because the failure of the Transmission Input Shaft Seal (which also happens from time to time) can likewise ruin the clutch. The weephole is the obvious solution to the problem for the long haul. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
murray said:
Enclosed are some pictures of the updated slave cylinder. I am showing my old cylinder which was failing last winter and replaced ( With the same design ). The only visual change that I can see is a change in the circlip retainer. A couple months back a there was a thread regarding this upgrade without pics.
Pete, if you flip them over, is there any difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
This does not look like a major redesign to me, but it does appear that perhaps they used the new design of circlip to keep the bearing from spinning excessively, producing heat and ruining the seal????? Anyone concur?

Frankly, the potential for leakage is still there, so I would continue to drill the weephole on my own bike as a preventative measure. It just seems wise.

It is also wise because the failure of the Transmission Input Shaft Seal (which also happens from time to time) can likewise ruin the clutch. The weephole is the obvious solution to the problem for the long haul. ;)
The amount of spinning is the same no matter what circlip is used. The only time the piston will get near the circlip, or touch it, is when you have the clutch lever pulled all the way in. When it is out, the piston is pushed back into the cylinder against the spring inside it. The bearing will be spinning anytime the engine is running. It is pretty amazing the bearings last as long as they do, since they are being spun all the time.

I agree, no matter what they do to the cylinder I would still want the drain hole. It also protects the clutch against failure of the rear tranny input shaft seal failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SmokinJoe said:
Pete, if you flip them over, is there any difference?
SmokinJoe
< snip>
The only visual change that I can see is a change in the circlip retainer.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top