BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple more video to share, from my jaunt out west earlier (June/July) this year.

The first one took place immediately after entering the Grand Canyon National Park. I saw a couple of cars stopped on the side of the road, and not in a stopping place. Wondering why, but as I pass them, I turned my head right and saw why they were stopped. A small herd of bison was in the meadow right there. Of course, my 360° video had captured it all long before I was aware of the bison. I didn't want to stop, and hoped that they will still be there when I ride back the following day!

Grand Canyon had been on my bucket list for a long time now, and I had selected to visit the north rim location mainly because, from what I had read, only about 10% of visitors to the Grand Canyon visit north rim. That means, unlike the south rim, the place is far from being crowded. I don't like crowds, if it can be avoided. I may make a visit to the south rim at other times in the future.

This video is a fairly short one, and show the views of the Grand Canyon, from the north rim:

The following day, I spent the morning taking lots of photo around the area, and then rode the short 120 miles ride back to page. The bison were still there, and the herd is actually much larger than what I had seen on the way in! It appears that they have excellent long distance vision, which I saw right away as I parked my bike, grabbed my camera and zoomed in on the lone bull that was many hundreds of meters away, to find that it was staring right back at me! I walked over, closer to the nearest cluster of bison, where a couple of cars had stopped. It was a good 200 meters, or more away from the nearest bison, but I quickly saw that even though the majority of the herd were relaxed, there were at least a couple of bulls that were standing sentry, and were glaring at me the whole time as I was approaching. So, I took a whole lot of pictures, and quickly retreated back to my bike!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
146 Posts
Thanks for that Pad. Kinda jealous right now. Maybe, one day, I can follow in your footsteps (tire tracks?).

One thing of note... Bison have notoriously bad distance vision, which is why I think you see so many tourists approach fairly close and then everything goes to hell. There are always a couple of blurbs on the local news each year of tourists dodging bison in Yellowstone or Elk in Estes Park.

Glad you weren't one of those people.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am pretty savvy about wild animals, and have seen too many video of the really stupid moves that people have made in Yellowstone! I also thought I knew about their bad vision, which is why I was so amazed that, on several occasions, when I zoomed in with my camera, I would see the beast staring right back at me, and quite intently! I never got anywhere near a couple of hundred yards from the nearest one, but the stare was enough to make me retreat! :) I suspect that they didn't seem to mind the cars stopping to look at them, but was conscious of me because I hadn't seen anybody getting outside their cars, whereas I was walking on the road, from where the RT was parked, to where the 2 cars had been.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Nice videos! Thanks for sharing!
It seems we may have crossed paths in my 7,500 cross country ride in June/July of this year. I also took the north side of the Grand Canyon as I have camped on the south rim during its 75th anniversary in '94.
Time flies!
I plan to roll cross country again in May/June in 2023... a four corners ride leaving L.A. in late May. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice videos! Thanks for sharing!
It seems we may have crossed paths in my 7,500 cross country ride in June/July of this year. I also took the north side of the Grand Canyon as I have camped on the south rim during its 75th anniversary in '94.
Time flies!
I plan to roll cross country again in May/June in 2023... a four corners ride leaving L.A. in late May. Cheers!
Did you stay in the little cabin as I did? That's quite nice. I still have a couple more video to work on, to finish this series.

My plan for 2023 is to head west again, around the middle of June. From here, up through MI to the Upper Peninsula. From there, probably to Mt Rushmore, or may be not. Then to the beginning of the Beartooth Highway, and then down the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, before heading into Yellowstone. Glacier National Park, and the Road To The Sun after that, before heading down into Utah and beyond. I am just starting my planning stage at this point, and I am planning to get into more details after I have finished compiling the video for the rest of this trip. BTW, I am planning the middle of June only because I understand that it can stay cold for a while, up north, and I want to avoid the rush of people, if at all possible, which I suspect will start in July. If the weather is good in March 2023, I might head south on a separate tour to see my brother and his family in SW Florida, before heading off for a second visit to the Keys.

Next year might be my last year on 2-wheels though. I am planning on replacing my RT with a campervan, probably in 2024. Not 100% firm on when yet, but I have been doing a lot of research on Class B campervan for the past couple of years.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Sounds like some great travel plans!

You have some great videos!
I planned to save all my videos and I had problems with the recorder not recognizing my MacBook laptop... so, all my day to day videos were overwritten until I picked up a Samsung tablet towards the end of my trip!

And, I have taken my '78 Dodge B200 cross country and through 46 states over the years. I hauled a modified KZ750 around to ride when I went from state to state visiting friends and family while deciding where to move. Being a lot younger then, I slept in the van half the time to save money. I still have the van with over 327k miles and counting after a complete overhaul in '97. (Four on the floor V-8.)
I gave the motorcycle to a friend after a bout with cancer I was not supposed to survive.
Oh, well. I am happy to be here!

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

I have family in the four corners I intend to visit on 2 wheels next year, and I will see how it goes after that.
Meanwhile, I still avoid everyone like the plague.
Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been riding for a very long time, and love to ride, but I am facing the fact that at this age, I need to bring my riding days to an end. I just don't have the stamina necessary anymore, and its waning every years, or so it seems. So, I am going to get as much riding in as I can before I have to bite the bullet and give up on the RT. I had thought about a small dirt bike on the back of the campervan, but in evaluating the pros and cons (for ME), that's not going to happen! An eBike is more likely, since I want to keep physically active. Short hikes and bicycle riding, even with electric assist, should be good!

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I have been riding for a very long time, and love to ride, but I am facing the fact that at this age, I need to bring my riding days to an end. I just don't have the stamina necessary anymore, and its waning every years, or so it seems.
Pad I have no idea your age and if I did it would not matter. At some point we will all reach a time when we feel it is in our best interest to stop pursuing some activities that have been a fun enjoyable part of our life. Your statement of your love to ride is one many of us have made. I can’t and won‘t attempt to say you are making the wrong decision. But I do encourage you to take some time to really determine if you can address the decreasing stamina. Spend some time with a sport medicine person and see if they can help you by developing a program to extend your time on the motorcycle. I bought my new 2022 R1250RT last winter and several friends commented they could not believe at the age of 74 I would spend over $30,000 and buy a new motorcycle as I must be ready to stop riding soon. I commented it was my 4th to the last new one I plan to buy and I did not feel 74 was very close to 90 plus so had time to wear the RT out.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I have a couple years on ya Darrell. Very likely, six heart surgeries and back surgery as well - I hope.

I was told in no uncertain terms there was no way I could safely ride any longer a couple years ago, then again following my last heart issue in early June. I was also told I could not continue with my [minor] exercise regimes.

But I do encourage you to take some time to really determine if you can address the decreasing stamina. Spend some time with a sport medicine person and see if they can help you by developing a program to extend your time on the motorcycle.
We're on the same page. However, I didn't speak with anyone else for guidance on getting back in shape. I followed what my cardio guys told me while I deemed it appropriate.

There are a couple things I do in my exercises that clearly I should not have done back then, and didn't. I also cut down on just how hard I pushed the exercises I was still able to do, but I did keep working slowly at it. Gained a bunch of weight and had to stretch out some pants to go out in public. 172 lbs on a 5'8" guy just doesn't work for me. This morning I was back down to 155 and wearing my clothes like I should. I've now reached the point that I'm exercising very close to what I was in the past, before all the medical crap got in my way.

I've been slowly working my way back onto my bikes and some short rides. Generally, I'm getting back in riding shape. I did a ride to Albuquerque [430 miles round trip the way I went] a couple weeks ago. The ride up was great, no stops and playing on some back roads to see how twisties felt again. Visited with friends for lunch and headed back home the same way. I had to stop to rest four times on that return trip. My back muscles and between my shoulder blades were really not ready for that long a ride ride home. What that told me was, I needed to change my exercises to add some work on my back and shoulders. Haven't done many miles since then but I think I'm headed in the right direction.

My point is, you're spot on with your suggestions. As we age, we do reach a point where we actually realize we ain't teenagers any more - we get hints from our bodies we do need to listen to. However, we should never just yield to age - and rather, control fitness to do the things we enjoy - live for.

My Dad started teaching me to ride in 1956, on my 10th birthday. I have only been without a bike of my own when I was in 'Nam. Riding is one of the most pleasurable things I do in my life and not riding just doesn't fit me.

Pad - follow Darrell's advice - if you can just work out some good exercises that work for you, that you can gradually increase - if you're not already exercising - just stay on point and you'll still be riding when you can work it in.

Be safe.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pad I have no idea your age and if I did it would not matter. At some point we will all reach a time when we feel it is in our best interest to stop pursuing some activities that have been a fun enjoyable part of our life. Your statement of your love to ride is one many of us have made. I can’t and won‘t attempt to say you are making the wrong decision. But I do encourage you to take some time to really determine if you can address the decreasing stamina. Spend some time with a sport medicine person and see if they can help you by developing a program to extend your time on the motorcycle. I bought my new 2022 R1250RT last winter and several friends commented they could not believe at the age of 74 I would spend over $30,000 and buy a new motorcycle as I must be ready to stop riding soon. I commented it was my 4th to the last new one I plan to buy and I did not feel 74 was very close to 90 plus so had time to wear the RT out.
Thanks for the suggestion! I was 74 when I first decided to face the fact that I want to continue my traveling, but perhaps my riding days may be reaching its end. That was 2 years ago, before I traded in my previous '15 RT for my present '21 RT!!! So, what you said also applied to me, and I am very sure that both of my kids thought so! That realization also made me start to look at campervans, those 2 years ago.

That realization was bought home to me this year, at 76 y.o. For me, to head west, I had to take the boring Interstates from here in northern Ohio to my son's place in Evergreen, CO, on the other side of Denver. In the past, several years ago, I used to make the OH - Denver trip, of approximately 1,500 miles, in 2 days, with a stop in Kansas City for BBQ and sleep. I knew that I didn't have that kind of stamina anymore, even though I do a lot of daily exercise to keep in good physical shape. So, I had planned the first stop at just around 650 miles. At the end of that 650+ miles, I was beat! Not used to being THAT tired! Nowadays, 550 miles on the Interstate is about the comfortable limit for me.

How long I will ride this RT is not absolutely plan, but it is my absolute habit to look ahead. I definitely will be riding all of next year, which is why I am making some aggressive plans to get as much riding in as possible. I may continue to ride in 2024, and if not, that will be the year that I will be changing over to traveling in a campervan. I would be 78 then. Not too bad, considering that I had started riding while in highschool in 1962! ;)

BTW, traveling, especially long distance, takes a certain amount of stamina regardless of whether you are on 2 or 4 wheels. That's why I figure that I have to make a decisive decision in this near future, or my traveling days might come to an end! Getting old sucks big time!

• Sad
Reactions: kbob12 and darrell

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing these videos. I follow along with an atlas to recall roads I've been on. Especially appreciate the changing view points and lack of distracting music. Just riding.
I'm a youngster at 69, you give me hope for continuing my passion.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve - both of you are quite right, and those are the things that I had paid attentions to for a few years now. I also changed my diet to be very much more healthy. Fortunately, I don't have, and never had any serious health issues, and so it's fairly easy to keep in shape. Actually, the only health issue that I do have is having contracted hepatitis, probably from contaminated water, back in 1965. That was really nasty, and I almost died. I was in the hospital for a week. As you may know, once that virus get into you, it's there forever, and the only way to fend it off is to be fully healthy, or so the doctor told me at the time.

Just for kicks, this was my very first bike. A 1952 Triumph Thunderbird. Very well "worn", and probably been in plenty of clashes before I had bought it - cheap!

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for sharing these videos. I follow along with an atlas to recall roads I've been on. Especially appreciate the changing view points and lack of distracting music. Just riding.
I'm a youngster at 69, you give me hope for continuing my passion.
I am glad that you enjoyed these video! I am not a videgrapher by a very long shot, and it took me a very long time of editing to get to this level, and I am sure that I have a lot more to learn yet! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Love the shot Pad.

Though not the one Dad had and taught me to ride on, this [when cleaned up, thank you] is an idea of what I learned to fall off motorcycles on.

This one is a 1938, Dad's was a 1939 Simplex Servi-Cycle.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts