BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidently tested my fuel reserve and found it sorely lacking! I was about 25 miles from fuel when my light went on. Knowing that I was getting about 46 mpg, I thought I was fine. Imagine my surprise when it quit 3 miles short of the station (and home.) Thanks to cell phone technology, my wife was soon there with gas (but now before a San Antonio cop on a Goldwing stopped and asked if I was "broke down"....I think he was actually disappointed that it was only a fuel shortage!) I put about 1/2 gal in and drove the three miles to the station. There I put in 5.08 gal before it surged out of the neck, my usual fill up clue. Surprised, I checked the book and found that it is supposed to have a 6 gal plus capacity! What gives? Oh, this is an '05, shouldn't make a difference though.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Got gas?

That doesn't make sense...

I have an '05, too. You should have had plenty of fuel to make the station.... I think I'll get the fuel low and have my bride follow me with some backup fuel. Ya need to know these things don't you know...

·
Registered
558 Posts
My 99's low light comes on with more than a gallon left. For yours to only take 5 gallon when it is out of gas makes it sound like something is keeping you from getting all the gas out. Possibly the pick up tube is not all the way in the tank or maybe curled up somehow.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
First of all...I never test a bike's reserve capacity without having some extra fuel strapped to the bike somewhere. I just did this test with my Ninja a few weeks ago.

Second...perhaps you are not truly filling the bike up to capacity. Are you on the side-stand or centerstand when fueling? Also, once my bike 'appears' to be full, I can easily get another 1/2 gallon or more in it by rocking the LT side-to-side a little bit. (I fuel my LT while I'm sitting on it 90% of the time, lest she would want to fall while rocking.)

HTH

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Charcoal Cannister issue...?

Another possibility is a clogged Charcoal Canister that has perhaps collapsed the fuel tank itself. When you unscrew the gas cap do you hear a slight whoosh? The vacuum created by a clogged canister can crush the tank in to give you your limited capacity. :( Let's hope not.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
"... put in 5.08 gal before it surged out of the neck, my usual fill up clue. "

Good catch, I bet your right.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Hey, Russ - IIRC, there is a reserve-level fuel sensor calibration procedure that can be done on the LT. May have to be at the dealer to do it, and I think it's posted back on the old site.

Also - if you had just added *about* a 1/2 gallon to git going the 3 miles to the station, and then added 5.08 gallons, you would've added *about* 5.6 gallons total, leaving a reserve of *about* 3/4 gallon. Not sure if the gas tank configuration will retain that much fluid in the 'left' panel cavity, butt it may be possible - plus whether or not you filled up with the scoot on the side or center stand.

You free tamale? Call L.S. and see if they can work you in for a calibration check (plus join Grif, Monte, maybe Edgar, and me, for chicken arms at Hooters on Riverside in Austin).

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel rule

Well, I agree with most everyting said. I do fill on center stand. Bike has 9k miles so doubt if canister is plugged yet. No whoosh when opening tank so it is venting. I guess I gotta try nursing more fuel in after it surges.

And I wasnt doing a planned reserve test or I wooda had a fuel bottle with me...But 25 miles on reserve shuda been easy. Maybe picup hose is screwed up. I'm gonna do a controlled reserve test again, see if I can duplicate the problem, this time with extra fuel on board.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just an FYI.... but, I fill my LT while on he sidestand. That puts the fill-point on the upside, and I can get more gas into the tank. It will burble a bit to allow an extra squirt or two if the pump will allow minute quantities whem feathering the pump trigger.

I have never ran completely out of gas on the LT, but the most I have ever been able to pump in is about 5.6 gallons.

I have also come to trust the computer calculating miles remaining on the fuel tank. I have run it down to below 10 miles to go a few times, and that is when it takes 5.5-5.6 gallons. Below 10 miles remaining my trip computer displays dashes, so can't tell how far I actually could go. Might be worth a test just to see how much will actually get past the pickup tube in the tank.

Anyway, cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
Out of gas

Just filled up yesterday and put in 6.477 gal and covered 329.3 actual miles. Always use the side stand and rock the bike to get the air bubbles out. Most gal ever added in 54,000 miles was 6.75.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Been pushing my gas reserve this past weekend getting ready to do my 24K service.

Gas light came on at @ 185 miles, BC said 48 miles left at current MPG ... At 229 miles now and parked in garage :p My riding speed went much slower & downhill the last 30 miles, BC still says I have @ 18 miles left, So BC does correct the # if it can detect a fuel flow/ miles traveled change.

Have done this before, running tank down to fumes but never running out.
Filled tank with @ 6.2/6.3 gallons a few times. ( Fuel on sidestand )

FWIW. You can on the older LT's, Calibrate BC to be within 0.2 MPG of actual mileage. My LT's BC is that close :D

Scott

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
A David Shealey trip report (IBA type) convinced me to carry two (2) 33 oz MSR fuel cells with a small plastic funnel. I cycle the fuel about once a month and refill them. And while I never run less than a quarter, my anal personality requires a degree of peace of mind that the fuel cells offer!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a UK 04 LT. The stated tank capacity is 5.3 gallons. How come a US model can have a tank capacity of 6.75 gallons? Seems odd to me.

Dave

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Dangerous2 said:
I have a UK 04 LT. The stated tank capacity is 5.3 gallons. How come a US model can have a tank capacity of 6.75 gallons? Seems odd to me.

Dave
In the first edition (08.98) of the Service and Technical Booklet that came with ole Toad (a '99 model LT), the capacity of the fuel tank is listed as 6.3 gallons - 24 Litre. In the marketing bulletin by BMW Motorrad NA, all dimensions and weights and capacities were listed, and fuel is 6.18 gallons. Which ever one you wanna hang your helmet on, remember that these figures include a reserve of approx. 1 gallon. Dangerous2, that could account for your stated tank capacity - the reserve gallon wuz not considered? Doesn't sound plausible, and seems odd to me too, butt....... !!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dick
Just realised why there is a discrepancy between the US models an UK models. Your US gallons equal 0.264 172 051 litres and the UK gallons equal 0.219 969 248. In other words the tank capacity is the same in litres but not in gallons! Everthing in the USA is bigger as per usual.
Dave

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Dangerous2 said:

Dave
Doing the conversion: 5.3 British (Imperial?) gallons = 6.37 U.S Gallons.

That being said, and I didn't look at the manuals, hope that's close enough? Did you transpose a number OR, is the manual misprinted?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Doing the conversion: 5.3 British (Imperial?) gallons = 6.37 U.S Gallons.

That being said, and I didn't look at the manuals, hope that's close enough? Did you transpose a number OR, is the manual misprinted?
My 02 manual claims 6.34 US gallons.

·
Registered
773 Posts
How big is your gallon?

Dave said 'Your US gallons equal 0.264 172 051 litres and the UK gallons equal 0.219 969 248. In other words the tank capacity is the same in litres but not in gallons! Everthing in the USA is bigger as per usual.'

Think you have got something transposed. A UK gallon is equal to 4.546 litres whereas a US gallon is 3.785 litres. Your pints are smaller to ;-)))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts