BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been around here for a little while after purchasing an '02 K1200LTC. While there are other much larger GS-ish forums out there, I've come to call this home so this is where I'll hang for the most part for my GS. Obviously it doesn't get the traffic of other places, but the people here seem much more like BMW folk I meet in real life.

Anyway, I've been dreaming of a GS for half a dozen years or so (had a KLR before that.) Earlier this year when I went to look at a used GSs at the dealer my wife discovered LTs and we ended up with one instead of a GS. But, I finally have one...

1995 R1100GSA (A for ABS, not Adventure though.) Under 45k with all service records and a very unique paint job that as best I could figure was meant to match the available BMW riding gear of 1995 (black with the purple and teal accents.) It's also a veteran of multiple tours to Burning Man and still has playa dust in the toolbox to show for it.

The plan was to purchase an older used GS until we we had everything else paid off then get a newer one after saving up for it and some of the newer ones hit the used market when the balloon payments bring some of the wet-heads into the used realm. I think this one will do us just fine for that and might even buy us more time waiting until the boy is ready to start riding then this can go onto him.

Only upgrades on this bike when I got it were the comfy backrest, a Baxter exhaust, a non-functioning bar mounted compass, and a Tyrannosaurus Rex bicycle bell. Compass was replaced with a Zumo 660 mount, the other stuff stayed, and I've added on a Baehr Verso XL. First real upgrade though will be to get rid of the stock seats! Reminds me of the KLR seat! Also included

Also included a complete Multivario tank bag system (including rain cover) that I cleaned up, some tail-rack bag that's seen better days, and the stock exhaust which I am contemplating installing as I've been really enjoying "quiet" lately with the LT (after getting rid of my obnoxiously loud Harley.)

Totally different beast than our LT though. Gotta get used to the engine sounds, the smells, etc. Definitely looks to be a lot easier to maintain than the LT though! Looking forward to as much fun on dirt and back roads as the LT is on the smooth ones.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Nice bike. I had a 1995 R1100GS, & road it to Inuvik NWT. I would probable still riding that bike But my wife said I could get a new GS in 2010. My friend bought a R1200GSA , so I got one too. :wave

Reactions: CaliDefector

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I had an 05 also, and the one thing I would suggest, even though it is a bunch of money, is to invest in a Aeroflow windscreen and faring. Best $500 I ever spent on a bike. You might be able to find one used if you are patient.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I had a 95 just like that, minus the backrest. Bought it as a second bike in 2006 and rode it around for a couple of years before selling it for an 1150 GSA. I miss the old 95, that thing was an absolute hoot to ride!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 95 just like that, minus the backrest. Bought it as a second bike in 2006 and rode it around for a couple of years before selling it for an 1150 GSA. I miss the old 95, that thing was an absolute hoot to ride!
I hate to say it but I've been riding this about 5-6 times to every 1 time for the LT. It's fun, fast, and so much easier to handle low speed and parking. *BUT* it is my solo season. When the weather gets warmer and it's 2-up time again I know that the Queen will want to seat her LT throne rather than the GS. :D

Reactions: Patric
1 - 5 of 5 Posts