BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so excited the day i drove my K1200LT home from the dealer. Couldn't wait to get it broke in so as to enjoy the summer months. Luved the accolades from my friends and family.

and then, with just 381 miles on the odometer, the valve cover seal failed and dumped all the engine oil out the side while travelling up the mpountain to home!

Now BMW is playing cat and mouse with the dealer and refuses to acknowledge that I need a new bike.

I paid full price for a new motorcycle, and it appears they are trying to dodge thier responsibilities.

Has anyone else had such poor customer service from BMW?
The dealer seems to be very concerned.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You are new around here, so I'll try to be gentle. You don't need a new bike, you need a new valve cover gasket! :)

Yes, BMW Corp can be difficult, if you act hostile they will meet you and double down.

I have owned lots of vehicles, sometimes there is a problem right outta' the box. Usually a minor one, I suggest you give them a bit of time to work out your particular problem. You have a new bike warranty, that means something.

Take a deep breath and relax. Let your dealer work for you.

These are really great bikes. Sometimes there is a issue. Life goes on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries about being too gentle. I've got a few miles under my belt down a few different roads. but thanks for the consideration. :cool:

I'll clarify. Something in the valve cover/gasket/doo-hickey, failed and sent the oil out at a rapid pace while traveling up a twisty mountain road. Thats when i noticed the engine change sounds, more like what you'd expect a tired harley to sound like, and the oil light flash irracticaly.

The service department found a "glob of metal" in the sump. :(

The engine is shot, undoubtedly so. BMW North America, is dragging thier feet and making the dealer do several more tests. I did not bargain to be part of an experiment to see exactly how well the engine fairs after a catastrophic failure.

I suspect, after the sterling marquee heralded by the BMW brand, that this is not a typical experience with a new LT. :bmw:

I'm just, very surprised, that BMW customer service is acting with such casual disregard for a customer who has had such a negative experience, right out of the chute. :eek:

Is this a typical mode from the coporation?

Any suggestions of how to advance to the next level beyond custimer service?

I'm not displeased with the dealer, at this point. I don't believe they had anything to do with the faulty manufacturer/assembly. :check:

Now my fiances princess seat is spotted with oil and stuck in the dealers garage and the fourth weekend is starting off with all my neighbors riding past on thier Harleys. This place I live is a bikers paradise, and BMWs are rare.
Now my first ownership experience is tainted. :brick:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had my LT 3yrs with no problems and love the bike. I work for a car
dealer and stuff happens. You would'nt be inline for a new car. The repair
would be made. You should trust your dealer to fix it properly before condeming a great bike. Good luck Bernie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the engine blew a few months down the road, i'd be leaning towards repair.
Two days out of the chute and the motor fails. I did not purchase a salvage vehicle, and i'm not going to settle for one after paying full price.

BTW, the engine isn't repairable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention, i'm not condeming the LT. I like it, which is why I ahven't pursued getting a refund.

That doesn't change the poor customer service from BMW North America

Mahybe I should be trying to call Germany?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I run a small business and understand the challenges in dealing with a major corporation.

I like the LT. It's the biggest bike i've ever owned, and am comfortable riding it.... er... for the first three hundred miles. Other than the low speed manevouring. Thats going to take a little getting used to

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know this won't help, but you should of had a new engine and a new seat and been back on the road in a week. With 3 weeks in the seat you proably would be happy now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel your pain. my blood is boiling and it didn't even happen to me. I would be so upset ,it wouldn't be even funny.We are not talking 3,000 miles, it is 381 miles. People will tell you all the bull about giving the dealer a chance to fix it because it didn't happen to them. if it did happen to them,they would want a new bike too. paying over $20,000 and now waiting to have it fixed? it will never be the same. you should get a new bike and them bmw fix it and sell it as refurbished. see how many people would pay over $20,000 for a refurbished bike. not me . GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
everyone at the dealer, so far, has agreed with me. BMW has gotten to the point that they are telling me it is up to the dealer. Now maybe that is just the infamous run-a-around.

I'm not going to settle for a refurbished motorcycle.

Will keep the updates coming.

The thing is, even when it was going down the road on the wrecker it was lookin' good!

I certainly hope I have good news to tell all the harley riders around the block!

For now I have to settle with giving my princess a ride on my Suzuki

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's a great rider... on the LT I get either a chest rub or a back rub with just the way i lean... now thats a fully equiped touring Bike! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bmwriderm said:
I know this won't help, but you should of had a new engine and a new seat and been back on the road in a week. With 3 weeks in the seat you proably would be happy now.

My bad, I only had the bike two days before the engine blew. I was reffereing to the weekend being the fourth of July weekend

·
Registered
712 Posts
Personally, I'd push for a new motorcycle or a 100% refund. I wouldn't except anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I would recommend you find the name of the Regional BMW Sales Manager for your area and give that person a call. You may find a better response than the customer service center and someone who actually has the authority to make it right. Your dealer should be able to tell you who that person is. Be courteous, explain the situation and get them on your side. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ArthurKnowles

Personally, I'd push for a new motorcycle or a 100% refund. I wouldn't except anything else.

Thats what i've stated, repeatedly. The dealer agrees that is the right thing to do. BMW wants more tests done even thou they have the sump report of "globs of metal". Now I understand the need to fully investigate the problem. Which should in NO WAY subjegate making things rigth with a customer that has just purchased based on the fabled BMW marquee of "rock solid" engineering.

The reports from the service department make it obvious that it is a matter of faulty manufacturing/assembly.

I am deeply dismayed at the response from BMW corporate.

They keep saying to work thru the dealer, the dealer says that they are waiting for BMW to get off thier ass and make a decision. In the meantime my vacation plans are ruined and my money is tied up on a piece of junk.

It will be very hard, at this point, to recomend BMW products to my many friends and business associates. Which, btw, will have a 100% account of my experience

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pickerbiker said:
I would recommend you find the name of the Regional BMW Sales Manager for your area and give that person a call. You may find a better response than the customer service center and someone who actually has the authority to make it right. Your dealer should be able to tell you who that person is. Be courteous, explain the situation and get them on your side. Good luck.

Good idea. Apparently the dealer, project manager, is trying to contact the clearing house in 'Jersey. I have been able to get the finance customer service involved as well as the other customer service. It seems like they are in the same complex, apaprently in Ohio somewhere.

here's the numbers if any ever has an issue they feel could benefit from, at least initialy

BMW customer service - 1-800-8311
BMW Financial - 1-800-578-500

The first question on the answering system is a choice between vehicle or motorcycle.

·
Registered
505 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
Yep, me too. Stuff happens, but they should sort this out NOW!!
Speak to the BMW guys in Germany, they may be able to sort the problem, it's their reputation on the line.

Simon

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Wow! This is the second "horror story" I've read re new LT's! The last one was Bill Smith's LT (Philippines) catching fire and burning to the ground. In both cases, BMW has nutted up bad. Shameful!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Simon, Good idea. I'll have to search for a contact at the German headquarters.

JayJacobson, thanks for the reference. Was that addressed on these forums?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts