BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine had this happen last Sunday. Wuz riding with a friend of his - came to a stoplight/sign - stopped side by side - LT fell to the left and the shield hit his friend's trunk rack. Friend's trunk rack (S-bike) survived. LT's windshield? - not so much.

I looked for a logo on the shield and didn't see one, so it's aftermarket? Break is razor sharp and as you can see, jagged point at the top. Acrylic?? My bet.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I could be wrong, and I was... Thought it was a CeeBailey but they have a logo burned into them don't they ? I blew up the pic and didn't see any...

That's how those windshields break... Everybody should look at this...Save that picture to your computer and look at it closely...

The weak point was probably the top screw that was overtightned and fractured the plastic..
Then it just took enough force to split that sucker along two of those lines.. I bet the angle of the break changes at the top screw hole.......Yup..it does.. Look closely...

This is what an acrylic windshield will do.. It can literally cut your throat...

John

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
JPSpen said:
I could be wrong, and I was... Thought it was a CeeBailey but they have a logo burned into them don't they ? I blew up the pic and didn't see any...

That's how those windshields break... Everybody look at this...

The weak point was probably the top screw that was overtightned and fractured the plastic..
Then it just took enough force to split that sucker along two of those lines.. I bet the angle of the break changes at the top screw hole.......Yup..it does.. Look closely...

This is what an acrylic windshield will do.. It can literally cut your throat...

John
Dick, Thanks for posting the picture. Hopefully some who think that an acrylic (I'm guessing that that is what it is) windshield is an acceptable risk will reconsider.

Is ATGATT only for the rider?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Heeere we go again, the acrylyic versus lexan debate, like oil or dyna beads.
is you fur it or again it.

The windshield on the LT is "designed" to "break away" when hit,
that windshield was hit on the side, it broke away at the bolt,
if it had been hit from behind it would have "broke away" at both bolts

if my fat ass ever gets "launched" forward enough to hit the windshield
I guarantee you it's gonna "break away" or "break off" no matter what it's made from.

If I get killed because my windshield cut my throat,
you're invited to come and write "I told you so" on my grave marker.

I'm old enough and wise enough to make my own choices on what I think are acceptable risks,
riding is an acceptable risk.

It's really simple, if you don't like an acrylic windshield don't ride with one,
I like mine and I'm gonna keep it on my bike, no matter what you guys think! :bike::toast::bike:

·
Registered
929 Posts
JPSpen said:
Yup..it does.. Look closely...

John
What? Now, I suppose I have to add extra protection to my ATGATT... :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
That would be: ATGATTNA (no acrylic) :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
And yes, I still running around with scissors!!! :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts