BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been said before, but allow me to recommend the Original Grip Buddies:

« http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com »

I've a had a few imitations before these, but these are the real thing, and the others pale in comparison. The Grip Buddies are well made, they are very easy to install, and they work very well. Hands and fingers are more relaxed due to the lighter pressure needed to hold the grips, and the bigger diameter, especially on the throttle side, of course. They dampen vibrations, and they are overall soft and sweet to the hands. Give them a try. And the service is A+. No, I have no vested interest in the company :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Used them on my F800ST - loved them! Haven't gotten them for my LT, but I'm about to! Thanks for the reminder. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used them on my F800ST as well. It needed them !

Now that I have an RT I have not felt the need to buy another set.

The grips on an F800ST are smaller in diameter than on my 2011 RT.

I feel that they would be too large installed on my RT. I have small hands.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Never tried Grip Buddies, but I do have the Grip Puppies installed...right over the top of the OEM grips. Love em...and the heated grips still work great.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This review is coming late but I feel it needed to be done.

Before I compare the two, I would like to say my dealings with Dave couldn’t have been any better. I explained my situation (smaller hands) and I received a viable solution in the mail within a couple of days. I could not be any more impressed with his customer service and believe if he was running BMW today, us 2014 RT owners wouldn’t be griping about things nearly as much.

First of all, I like both of the grips but there are differences between the two.

The first grips I have ever used are the Grip Puppies (GPs). They installed easily with soap and water without any issues. I like the fact they reduced the vibration feel of the bike and even reduced my occasional “death grip”. What I don’t like is they absorb water like a sponge. On one particular cold and rainy day, I had to turn on the heated grips to compensate for this issue. They are also a bit too thick for my hands but there isn’t anything I can do about that.

OGB Super Sharkskins

The OGBs are easily installed with the adhesive strip, reduced my grip pressure even more than the GPs, do not absorb water, fit my hands much better than the GPs, and I do not get any sensation of them rotating on the grips. After a couple of months riding with them I did adjust the Velcro as the seam had spread a bit, but now they are broken in, they have not done this since.

I have read other comments on these grips negatively referencing the adhesive strip and seam but I found the adhesive strip is easily applied and ensures no rotation on the grip, and the seam is just a non-issue. I cannot feel the seam with gloves no matter where I position it but I did position it between my finger tips and the heel of my hands.

So, there are my two cents.

·
Registered
528 Posts
They were the first thing I added to my '12 RT and they make a heck of a difference in my hand comfort. Just a great product!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I tried them both, did not like the squishy feeling and besides it did not add enough to the diameter for me to be really comfortable. I just needed a bit more. Here is the solution I was using for more than 4 years on the F800GS and I have put onto the GSAW as the first change when I got the bike home. That provides me with nice, fat grips that are NOT squishy.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981435

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry if this has been said before, but allow me to recommend the Original Grip Buddies:

« http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com »

I've a had a few imitations before these, but these are the real thing, and the others pale in comparison. The Grip Buddies are well made, they are very easy to install, and they work very well. Hands and fingers are more relaxed due to the lighter pressure needed to hold the grips, and the bigger diameter, especially on the throttle side, of course. They dampen vibrations, and they are overall soft and sweet to the hands. Give them a try. And the service is A+. No, I have no vested interest in the company :)
I ride a 2013 R1200RT and have always had problems with my fingers going numb so I picked up a set of "Grip Buddies" from my dealer. Easy instruction and they look great.

I wear extra large gloves because of the width of my hand and I have long fingers. After I put on the grip buddies I took my bike to work, about a 45 minute ride. Had a real problem getting used to the larger diameter of my grips and there was no difference in the sensation of my fingers.

I have been riding for so many years and the grips just did not feel right and I did not feel confident on my reaction time in case of an urgent stop.

I took the grips off and threw them out. $22.00 I think and a lesson learned. Even though I did read all the threads and made sure of my purchase, they were just not for me. As soon as I took them off, my comfort level was back to normal and I just rode off into the sunset.

Good product for some - not for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have used the GB's on two bikes, both RTs. I have small hands but do like the smallish diameter of BMW grips. I love the GB's. I think just like wine and women it is a personal preference.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Grip Buddies here, one anyways. :) The main reason for my purchase was I was actually getting pain in my left thumb having to go up and over to get to the horn, due to small hands. The added thickness helped a lot with that.

I was also getting numbness in my right fingers, not as bad as on my HD but was still getting it. The GB didn't really help on the right, I may try changing the weights on the end. Hoping as the miles rack up the bike will tighten up as others have said.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
I was also getting numbness in my right fingers, not as bad as on my HD but was still getting it. The GB didn't really help on the right, I may try changing the weights on the end. Hoping as the miles rack up the bike will tighten up as others have said.
I had discovered something that I think may be relevant here! First, I have to say that I have never experienced any numbness or even tingling riding either of my RTs. My "grip" on the handle bars are always light, and as a matter of fact, my right hand is the only hand that fold completely around the grip - to hold the throttle open.

Now, several months ago, I had bought a new leather summer gloves. When it arrives, I put it on and used it. If this was a winter glove that one uses for everyday use (non-motorcycle type), I would say that the fit was perfect. Nice and snug on every fingers. OTOH, on the first few long rides, I found that my right fingers were getting numb! It was obvious, to me, that the new glove was cutting off local circulations in my right hand. The snug fits around my fingers were tighter as I curl my right hand to hold the throttle! This does not happen with my left hand because it is rarely curled around the grip, and never with my other gloves because they have more room around my fingers.

So.......pay attention to your gloves! It may be the cause for your numb hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.