BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW K1200LT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Change my air filter and fuel filter today and found the fuel filter and tank covered in orange dust when the fuel dried. Any ideas what is might be, nothing was rusted.
Gas Composite material Pipe Metal Concrete
Automotive exhaust Gas Tire Auto part Automotive tire

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,376 Posts
Probably just residue from a fuel additive. I have seen that before.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What fuel are you using. It certainly doesn't look like anything to worry about. When I removed my pump a couple of years ago it was pretty clean but I only ever use premium fuel in mine. I guess this is why we have fuel filters.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Probably just residue from a fuel additive. I have seen that before.
This would be my best guess also. I have never added additives to my fuel, other than Stabil before winter and my fuel pump has always been very clean when removed, even after 13 years and 90,000 miles. I suspect it is either the gasoline you are using or additives that have been used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an Idea , Anyone tried locating fuel filter to the outside of the Tank , can it be Done !! , i mean the engineers of the K1200 Engines Submerged the fuel filter when they could avoid a very common failure of the 180 deg Fuel line loop and just have a metal tube for output with a short straight fuel line , they didn't stop there they also submerged the Oil Filter !! , i think this is a design failure percentage planned in for profit.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Just an Idea , Anyone tried locating fuel filter to the outside of the Tank , can it be Done !! , i mean the engineers of the K1200 Engines Submerged the fuel filter when they could avoid a very common failure of the 180 deg Fuel line loop and just have a metal tube for output with a short straight fuel line , they didn't stop there they also submerged the Oil Filter !! , i think this is a design failure percentage planned in for profit.
Sure, it can be done and I believe a few have. I am not sure the logic of it. The fuel filter doesn’t need to be changed all that often and you have to pull the tank for the air filter anyway so doing the fuel filter at that same time isn’t a big deal. And it has the advantage of keeping more connections and hoses inside the tank where a failure isn’t as much of a fire hazard.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You don't actually need to pull the tank to change the fuel filter. All you need to do is remove the right side fairing and the tip over bar and you can remove the pump and filter assembly out the bottom of the tank. If you modified it to have an external filter you would probably still need to remove the right side anyway. At least this way you also get to inspect the pump and internal fuel lines.

·
Registered
2002 BMW K1200LT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What fuel are you using. It certainly doesn't look like anything to worry about. When I removed my pump a couple of years ago it was pretty clean but I only ever use premium fuel in mine. I guess this is why we have fuel filters.
I use BP 95 octane or Gull 98, I have just put some injector cleaner through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts