BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

In a magazine I receive this morning, there's a drawing about a secret project from the Triumph manufacturer. It is about a GT bike called 2300 Tourer based on the RocketIII engine.

Very slight details : for economical reasons, Triumph has decide NOT to mount any cruise control system (bad idea IMO). The bike will come with an electric windshield (wake up Honda !), ABS braking system, on board GPS system.

The bike looks nice, it has the same light bulb system as the last Sprint :

http://www.triumphchepassione.com/immagini/sprint-st-2005/sprint-st-triumph-fanale.jpg

Regarding the 2300 engine, I have some concerns with the fuel consumption...

I will try to upload a pic of this drawing later on. No release date yet.

Cheers,

Pierre-Alain

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i have always felt the rocket III motor would make a SUPERB drivetrain for an uber-tourer. should be a very interesting bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I saw the drawing and I really like it. The triple cylinder configuration is awesome. I've also heard that the current Rocket III gets about 40mpg.

·
Registered
424 Posts
About time they decided to replace the late Trophy. It was a great, "just the basics" tourer that just needed a little more development and upgrading to compete in the market. I rode one as a loaner when getting my Tiger serviced.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I get about 34 mpg with my Rocket..But I play quite a bit with it..and it is mostly around town.

I think it would make an awsome touring bike, just hope they do not make one too soon....LOL

May have to sell my Black 2001 LT to D.S.

But it must have electronic cruse ....Wake up Triumph

Dang

Joey
Oops...lol

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Opponent to the LT: Triumph 2300 Tourer

Joey said:
I get about 34 mpg with my Rocket..But I play quite a bit with it..and it is mostly around town.
hey joey ... i believe that all they would need to do is re-gear it so that it has an overdrive ratio in the transmission. that torque-monster motor could prolly roll you down the highway at 80 MPH while turning only 2,000 rpm, if you geared it right. at that point it otter get great mileage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my god... I assume "mpg" is the US unit for gas consumption right ? I need to convert this to liters then to kilometers :D

As promised, here are 2 pics of the Triumph project.

There are more details as I first told you in the newspaper :

- they say that Triumph has already decided the global design of its bike
- the first prototype will not ride before early 2007.

Sorry for the bad quality. I have no digital scanner so I took em with my camera...

Cheers,

Pierre-Alain

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
40 Miles per US Gallon = 16.98 Kilometers per Litre.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The Rocket is turning apx. 3000 rpm's at 80 mph. and it will pull from 1200 rpm in 5th gear like a bat out of hell-o.

But the truth is....I hope if they make a touring bike out of the Rocket III. they do something about the vibration above 3K RPM. it will give your hand a fit...if you run it at 80+ for awhile...in 20 min....my hand is numb.

Other than that...I think it would make one awsome touring bike...handles very well....and not top heavy like some bikes....we ride....LOL

But it is still 140 C.I. engine to feed....but the torgue is worth every penny...

Joey

·
Registered
160 Posts
Saw one of these in the showroom of Procycles in Sydney about 2 weeks ago.
It looks like BIG and heavy, but probably goes quite well. When they told me it was a 2300, I just shook my head and walked away. Think I will stick to the 1200 for now.
Below is a different view of the RocketIII

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I say go for it Triumph! It looks good but only time will tell what it will actually be like. More competition is better for everyone.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Doesn't matter how good it is, I wouldn't by a tourer without a cruise control. Even when I get the GS, I'm gonna be looking for one of those Aussie electronic cruise controls.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hey, Joey,

PUT your F350 motor in it!!! with Propane injection no less!!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
A triple should be more thermodynamically efficient than an equal-displacement four because the ratio of chamber volume to surface area is better in the larger cylinder, less heat loss to the metal. And a larger-displacement engine is more efficient at lower revs than a four making the same power because the friction is not linear. A big mill with conservative valve timing should do quite well. Geared for it, the big triple should be capable of good mileage. Harleys would do well except the air-cooling limits how lean they can run. No reason a Victory shouldn't get good mileage now that you can get one with more gears.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For 40 years I have loved my Triumphs. I especially love the new generation. I would certainly buy a Triumph Cruiser. I would prefer cruise control but I would still by the Trumpet and add the cruise control after market.
"Triumph - The World's Only Motorcycle"
circa 1964

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
I too have been a big fan of Triumphs, and have owned several different models. I would consider the new cruiser also. But for now, this is what I'm on the waiting list for...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2538.aspx

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
cyclecamper said:
Harleys would do well except the air-cooling limits how lean they can run. No reason a Victory shouldn't get good mileage now that you can get one with more gears.
i believe air-cooled harleys get about 50 mpg. not too shabby.

·
Registered
438 Posts
KBandit said:
i believe air-cooled harleys get about 50 mpg. not too shabby.
I average 44-46 mpg with my Street Glide (stock engine/exhaust/air filter).

regards

1 - 20 of 21 Posts