BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, would anyone like to tell me their opinion on a set of Jpegs?
Comfort? Durable? Ease of installation? Drawbacks? Better options? Sources?

Arigato!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I hated my Jpegs when I first got them... I converted them to XL Jpegs, and now they fit me perfectly. If you have a long inseam, you will probably like the XL Jpegs better.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
JPegs are OK. I had the XL but could not reach them with my 31" inseam. Switched back to standard and reached OK.

Don't use them much, have to really splay out my hips and legs to get to them. I imagine it's what a woman feels like on the OB/GYN exam table. :histerica

I use them one leg at a time to stretch out whilst riding, and only briefly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have both Jpegs (standard) and Mick-O-Pegs. I use them both but use my MOPs much more frequently (95% of the time over the Jpegs). I also use the Suburban foot peg lowering kit and that really has helped me on the long runs. Alot of what you receive by way of answer will depend on how tall you are and what your inseam is. I'm 6'2" and have a 32" inseam. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
718 Posts
BTW, if you buy XL Jpegs, make sure you get the cams that prevent them from poking holes in your lower fairing. If you don't, you will be sorry you didn't the first time you drop the bike. At least one vendor here in the forum provides the XLjpegs with the cams included.

·
Registered
216 Posts
5'10" 31" inseam, and I love them. On the slab for long stretches it is a great position change that extends your comfort range. On the hot days it's nice to get the wind up the leg cuffs for a little A/C action. I have a backrest as well so I'm not sure how comfortable it would be without that support.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
6'3" here. I had both the J-Pegs, and then the XLs (approx 4-6" more legroom).

Opinion on a set of Jpegs? Every LT should have them. :)

Comfort? The Regulars were good, the XLs were GREAT!

Durable? Very! Good build quality.

Ease of installation? Simple, if you good with a Dremel and have some patience. :)

Drawbacks? The XLs will poke holes into the Tupperware in the event of a tip-over. No big deal to me, but some seem to get quite upset when this happens.

Better options? None that I've seen. And I believe that I've seen and tried every option out there. But this really does come down to one's personal preference.

Sources? The classifieds here is a good place to start. Place a WTB (want to buy) ad. If no luck there, buy them from own very own Raffy HERE.

·
Registered
223 Posts
XL Jpegs=Good

I have a 32" inseam and use the XL Jpegs and really like them. I dont use them all the time, but it is nice to have them to strech out on the long trips. It makes all the difference being able to change your seating position on the longer trips. I agree that if your are 6' or over that XL is the way to go. I tried the standard Jpegs and found they were not comfortable.

As for the XL's poking a hole in the fairing, I think all the new sets come with the longer cam. As for me, I just took my dremel and cut a small notch out of the fairing for the pegs to recess into. A pre hole to the hole that would have ended up there anyway :)

HTH

·
Registered
718 Posts
messenger13 said:
Drawbacks? The XLs will poke holes into the Tupperware in the event of a tip-over. No big deal to me, but some seem to get quite upset when this happens.
The cams available from Raffy will prevent this... I installed them and they are definitely better than the original design. I think Raffy sells the Jpegs with the cams included.

·
Registered
287 Posts
+1 on MOP's. they are great.

Have had and have used both reg and xl j pegs. the xls work better for my 34" inseam, but if had to do again I would not buy them.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The only thing I haven't tried are Otttomans - don't like the look.

Given that, the XLs w/cam are easy to install and well made- but not for me. To make a long story short, I ended up with a backrest, floorboards and MOPs. The MOPs allow a full leg extension, and the 'boards allow alot of foot freedom.

Note: the MOPs are also well made, and easy to install, but they are not for use in the twisties, and tend to attract cuffs... The boards also require a wider spread at a stop, but not bad, assuming an inseam of 32+.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I have the standard J-pegs on my 03 and never really liked them so I didn't use them. When I ride on the freeway it is usually at speeds where you want to stay in the "bubble" and when I tried using the J-pegs it created a big wind turbulence. I guess they just aren't for me while others will enjoy them.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I have the XL J-pegs and I really like them. I have not tried anything else to compair against but I really have no reason to switch. I am also on the long side and have no problems with the XL's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys

Thanks guys for your input.
I have a 34" inseam so the XLs are the ticket i guess.
Where does one get the MOPs?
I haven't seen them so i don't know too much about them.
I really like the look of the jpegs though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a 34" inseam, and regular JPEGS...I've only used them once, just to relieve a bit of a cramp. The cramp went away, and I doubt I will ever use them again ( those suckers only come in handy when you REMEMBER to flip them out before you mount the bike), I nearly was the cause of the scene of the accident....never try to open them up whilst riding down the road, you could get honorable mention at the Darwin awards.... :eek:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I have the standard J-Pegs on my LT. I'm 6' with 32" inseam. I don't ride with them on long stretches because the standard foot position is good for me. BUT, I've had surgery on both knees and sometimes they start to cramp up. When the do, I flip the pegs out for 10 minutes and then I'm good to go again.

I purchased a Backup Backrest for my LT two years ago. I have more comfort with the backrest and pegs than I did for the first year with just the pegs.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have had Ottomans and now have MOPs, I just returned home last night from a trip and got to really enjoy the MOPs. I LOVE THEM!

·
Registered
187 Posts
JPegs

I have a set on my LT and on a long trip their ok for stretching out a bit, however, after a while it's a little uncomfortable.

:bmw:

·
Registered
633 Posts
For me using Jpegs hurts my groin so much that I forget that my butt was sore. I'm sure they were invented in a Turkish* prison. Use them on 500+ mile days to shift the pain.

*If you are Turkish and offended, well there you go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got the standard Jpegs on my 06. They are OK; I used them on an Iron Butt ride and they certainly helped. I like the way they look, too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts