BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... my seat has really started to get the best of me, if you can call it that. I purchased an air hawk seat cushion last summer but it's not really working as well as I'd hoped. So what's the best option, Russell day-long seat? Cee-Bailey's? or break down and buy a new Corbin seat?
I'm leaning towards just customizing the seat that I have for about $600 thru Russell but as always opinions are valued!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a Kontour seat, and I am very happy with it. One day I rode 1,028 mi and sat on it for about 15 hours. When I was done, I still felt like riding. Its a sore pecker, you can't beat it. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
What are your dimensions?

Maybe someone with similar features can tell you what they did.

Me, I'm 5-10 / 150 and I had a stock seat on my K1200LT, (both). I did add beads and a sheepskin and that worked for me. I'm doing the same with my K1600GTL

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good point Dan! I'm 6'3" and 225lbs. My doctor says I should lose 25lbs. If I lose the weight and the seat is no longer comfortable, I'll repost. So, stay tuned :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Sorry - I meant Randy.... so others could possible make a similar suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
If your but ever gets hot or you ride in the rain, get your seat wet, Ron's seat building takes care of that.

With the stock seat I would start squeaming after 45-60 minutes. With Ron's seat, on my trip back home, I was able to ride from a full tank until it was time to fill her up again.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm 6'-0" 230# with a 32" inseam.... I've added the floorboards and lowered my pegs about 1"...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm sure there are a lot of good seats out there, my experience has only been with Russell Day-Long and it has made all the difference for me...truly can ride all day with no pain. BTW, I'm 5'11" and 240 lbs.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My seat is at Russell right now waiting for it to come back. Used Russell on my RT, loved it. LT now!

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMO any seat must be better than the stocker... I too have a Russell and love it. FWIW, I am 6'0" and 230lbs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There are a lot of option out there for seat's, guess it comes down to price and who you are comfortable with. I went with a Russell day long and couldn't be happier there's a few thing's I would and will have them change at some point but overall its so much better then the OEM seat its not funny.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I've had two Rick mayer seats and.........well............
Ricki gets a little speedy and the last seat was not all it could have been..............
I added foam/sheepskin over it and did a saddlesore 1000 with no problems.
The Cee Bailey seat on my RTP got a lot of attention from the tech. ( called me twice to discuss problems/needs) and worked really well on a 2500 mile ride.
My next seat will be a Russel as I'm getting older (68) and more delicate and a lot of Iron Butt riders like 'em.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Use since two Years a Corbin, can't complain, I'm 5' 8" and 185 lbs.
Takes a while before you get use to the Saddle

Manfred

·
Registered
392 Posts
mreuter said:
Use since two Years a Corbin, can't complain, I'm 5' 8" and 185 lbs.
Takes a while before you get use to the Saddle

Manfred
+ 1 on the Corbin. I've had Corbins on the last 3 BMWs I've owned. They take a while to break in or get used to, but once that hurdle is crossed they are great. Wife loves it too. We added a sheepskin as well, & can do 750 mile days with no problem. We are both in our 60s. I am 6' 00", 33 in. inseam, & weigh 160 lbs. Wife is 5' 5" & weighs 135.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went to a Rick Meyer.....6'4' 275lbs...added peg lower with floorboards and XL Jpegs.....Man I love this bike!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The stock seat sucks. Beadriders help. Seems like the aftermarket is the only answer. I just bought a used Corbin which some like and others don't. If the Corbin doesn't work, next stop for me will be a Russell.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I had a Russell on my K1100LT and was very satisfied. However, my SO really never thought the pillion was very comfortable, something to consider if you ride two up. Another word of caution regarding the Russell...they are fairly wide seats and will affect your ability to put your feet flat on the ground. I have a 32" inseam, so not a problem for me but it is a consideration if you're already challenged by the height of the LT.

I went the custom route on my 2007 LT and had the seat rebuilt by Rich's in Seattle. Absolutely the best motorcycle seat I've ever had with many 1000 mile days in the saddle and no soreness (at least, not my ass...ha!)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Either Kontour or Russell are your choices...

While I've never had a Kontour, I've never heard of anyone who disliked one.

I've had two Russells and like them a lot..

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts