BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the club!! This is not something I ever wanted to do but I did and almost did it twice.

Went to show my 82 year old father my new pride and joy. He was just blown away by the bike and all its technology to the point where he said he was having goose bumps at the sophistication of it all.

The piece de resistance (think Maurice Chevalier when you read that) was reverse. So I backed it down his driveway over the sidewalk and onto the approach to the road where I turned the bike to ride off home. BAD IDEA! The slope was enough to start the old girl moving downhill, top side first and we both ended up on our sides. I did a graceful summersault and the bike did the "I'm not moving from here" act of a petulant 1 year old. Because of the slope, the prescribed back up to it and lift routine did not work ( and I have a pulled hamstring to prove it) so we were stuck.

Fortunately, a good neighbour stopped and the 3 of us were able to get the rubber side down. Oops, nearly dropped it the other way because of this goofy driveway but quickly moved it to a more level location in the middle of the road. Thankfully, no traffic.

To add to my embarrassment, in all the excitement, I had turned the kill switch to "Never Start" and had to sit in the middle of the road for about 5 years while until I finally figured it out. DOH!

Great bike - love it, love all the toys and all the good stuff about it; just not sure about how it strokes my ego.

Oh well, live and learn. One scuffed piece of rubber is a cheap price to pay for another life lesson - just thought that at my age, I had finished with schooling.

Good news is that the only thing that touched was the rubber wing and the driver footpeg so no harm done other than to egos and muscles.

So why post this - confession is good for the soul and lessons learned need to be shared. I have learned much from you so I offer the wisdom that sloped driveways, low speed turning maneuvers and LT's don't mix.

Ride on!

Geoff

·
Registered
666 Posts
Good story !!

Most of us have already had that experience, or similar.

Welcome to Droppers Anonymous !!

Just be thankful its over, and you won't worry about so much anymore, and you've learned a lesson that will help you to keep your pride intact in the future !!

You are not the first, and won't be the last !!

Enjoy the scoot, may it bring you miles of smiles !!

·
Registered
807 Posts
droppin' the LT

brantvol16 said:
so we were stuck.

Fortunately, a good neighbour stopped and the 3 of us were able to get the rubber side down. Oops, nearly dropped it the other way because of this goofy driveway but quickly moved it to a more level location in the middle of the road. Thankfully, no traffic.

To add to my embarrassment, in all the excitement, ....
Geoff
Welcome! Happens to most of us from time to time. I can now proudly say I dropped both my LT (three times) and my GT (once)! Drops happen!

Took my 86 year old Dad for a ride only after his new 80 year old girlfriend Helga just had to ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ranks, thanks for the comments. It is a small gratification knowing that others have enjoyed my experience. As I sit here nursing my sore hamstring nad now sore shoulder that I had missed (and an excellent Cab from Chile, too!), I can't help but think that I could have done something to prevent this. Maybe if I had had the bike in 1st gear and had pulled away when I first felt Newton pulling at me ... Maybe I should have backed right into the street before turning ...

Who knows - it is what it is and I have added to my overflowing jar of things I have learned from my own incompetence!

On balance, a fairly painless lesson, hamstring ache notwithstanding.

·
Registered
666 Posts
A friend of mine has a driveway that, when the front wheel is on the driveway, and the rear wheel is on the street, it just so happens that my legs seem to shrink about three inches !!

Nothing like backing down a driveway, a car is coming, you stop, put your feet down, to find nothing but air !!

When she goes, she is going, just let her drop. The wings do their job. If, as you have experienced, it falls on an incline, there will almost always be someone willing to help. If not, the walk up method is the way to go.

Mines been down 3 times. Once on the right, and twice on the left. Never had more than 1-2mph speed when dropped, and each time the front wheel was NOT STRAIGHT.

Always keep the front wheel straight, and with this big bertha of a bike, I always use both feet, and hold her with the front brake.

brantvol16 said:
Ranks, thanks for the comments. It is a small gratification knowing that others have enjoyed my experience. As I sit here nursing my sore hamstring nad now sore shoulder that I had missed (and an excellent Cab from Chile, too!), I can't help but think that I could have done something to prevent this. Maybe if I had had the bike in 1st gear and had pulled away when I first felt Newton pulling at me ... Maybe I should have backed right into the street before turning ...

Who knows - it is what it is and I have added to my overflowing jar of things I have learned from my own incompetence!

On balance, a fairly painless lesson, hamstring ache notwithstanding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ranks said:
A friend of mine has a driveway that, when the front wheel is on the driveway, and the rear wheel is on the street, it just so happens that my legs seem to shrink about three inches !!
Haha, I've been there too. That's a terrible feeling :)

I admit it - I'll share my story too.
I stopped on the side of the road to read my map one pleasant evening. I eased to a stop, stuck my feet out, and learned a bit too late my right foot found some gravel. My baby tipped and I just jumped out of the way... although I did manage to lay her down as soft as possible. I've come VERY close a couple times at stoplights and signs, and MANY times in parking lots, and I'm convinced it just happens. Picking it up by myself turned out to be possible, but even my 24 year old back, arms, and thighs were all sore :rolleyes:

The best rider in the world, and even The Incredible Hulk, would have a hard time keeping the LT up when it starts tipping. The high center of gravity is my only critism. Otherwise, I completely love it, and fully expect for my engine guards to kiss the pavement again someday...
Hopefully, no one will be around to see :D :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
OK, that's it!!!!!

I'm gonna' commission a jacket pin for those of us who have "autoparked" our LT's. I'm starting a fresh thread for ideas, they should run about $5 depending on how detailed we go, post to the thread your ideas and if you have an artistic leaning, your graphics.

Pete

·
Registered
330 Posts
gravity sux

Greetings.

That is a hysterically great idea. I'll take one of those "gravity sux" pins whenever they are ready.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU
[email protected]

ps. Take care of that hamstring Geoff. Just remember don't get yourself caught beneath that machine when it decides to lay down.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
petevandyke said:
I'm gonna' commission a jacket pin for those of us who have "autoparked" our LT's. I'm starting a fresh thread for ideas, they should run about $5 depending on how detailed we go, post to the thread your ideas and if you have an artistic leaning, your graphics.

Pete
Excellent idea.

Perhaps members could be awarded oak leaf clusters for multiple occurrences, and "with distinction" for special circumstances (like, not even being ON the bike when it fell over... twice). :eek:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Well, now that the first drop is out of the way...motor on.
DA member myself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts