BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started my winter time maintenence and was tearing all the plasitc off when I noticed that, at 52K, there are some minor oil seepages around a couple of different locations in the front of the engine. One is a small spot on the seam of the timing chain cover, and one is behind the water pump. They both seem very minor (just a little of crud built up around them, but some fresh looking oil under one of them) and there has been no detectable oil loss. I first noticed this a couple of years ago and the problem has remained consistent, in that two years later the amount of seepage is just the same.

Two questions:
Are these likely to get worse to the point that they will require attention?
Are these things reasonable easy to fix if need be--as in is it a bolt on and off operation that a minimally experienced person like me can do?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Mine has a seepage from the timing cover too, believe most of them do that and wouldn't be concerned about that at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Note, there are 2 little allen screws that screw up into the engine on the right side front in that area.and bmw sent bulletins to remove clean and reseal to eliminate the minor seepage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts