BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I dropped the bike for for the third time in just over a week maybe i'm just getting used to it my question is when i dropped it to the right hand side it lost some oil is this normal and where does it come from

thanks rab c

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I've had mine over on its right side, let's say more than once. Never had any fluid loss of any kind though. Can you describe the fluid and where you saw the evidence of a leak?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Loose oil filler cap...?

Check the engine oil filler cap. It is on the right side, and if loose, could have allowed some oil to escape. How long was the LT on its side?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bike was on it's side for 2 mins oil filler cap tight could'nt see any traces of oil anywhere cheers

rab c

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Since your LT is a '99, my bet is that you have a split crankcase breather hose, and oil has gathered on top of the engine. Dripped down when tilted over to the right.

Not at all uncommon for these breather hoses to split and get oil on top of the crankcase, where quite a bit can gather before it can spill over. It is a bit of a job to replace it, and the hose assembly is around $50 US. Part number 11 15 1 465 009

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the usefull info i will have a look at that to see if thats the problem

rab c

1 - 7 of 7 Posts