BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Allright, this is kind of embarrasing. So, let me eat humble pie now and ask for some advice.

I have the bike on a trickle charger while it is stripped down. I was working in the back thinking "No need to unplug it, I am sure it is fine".....

I accidently bumped the postive alligator clamp and it hit the battery tray that holds the battery in. I did not notice it right away and it lit the little rubber bumpers on fire. :wow:

I quickly pulled it off and cleaned it up, but I am not sure if something would be fried. The starter turns and the brake servo kicks in, so I hope it is OK. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Besides the obvious always unplug it while working on it.....)

EDIT: It does look like the trip computer reset.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
Shorting the battery to ground usually doesn't hurt anything except the battery and what ever it touches (little rubber bumbers). The rest of the bike should be fine. If anything does NOT work then just disconnect the battery for a bit and then hook it back up - do the TPS reset and all should be well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello mowoc

Must be one hell of a trickle charger to do that . Not likely that you damaged any other things as BMW and most other European motor vehicle mfgs do not use the frame as the -12VDC , they run a wire to each device for it . Also when electrical troubleshooting one needs to connect the -12 test lead to the battery as the frame is not a reliable source , and BMW sometimes switches the -12 leg to things which can be a head scratcher .

Bob G

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I did hook the tank back on and start it - it worked fine.

Most embarassing. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts