BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:crying:the engine and clutch are fine but now she won't select up or down and I'm having to slip the clutch a little more to gain momentum.
New tyres fitted last week to cure the vibration problem. Other that that I'm thinking of a possible gearbox swap if 1 can be located in the UK for sensible money. This is my only means of transport at the moment. Any suggestions?
I've. Checked the linkage which seems fine.

2000 K1200LT, 65000M

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Copied and pasted from a recent post the forum member asked a similar question. This is the only way you can work out if it is the linkages or the gear box...

take off the LH front foot plate remove all the shifter levers and check clean and repack the couplers, do not adjust any of them, while it is on the centre stand manually change the gears by lifting up the lever with your hand with the ign on, watch the indicator, you will need to rock the rear wheel to assist the gear selection, if you cant select all the gears from there manually then i"m afraid it will be gearbox problems. hopefully it will be just the couplers needing lube, this is a problem on all LT
HTH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Axle,

I had the footplate off last night and the linkages are fine, so pointing towards gearbox as you say.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
must be then, where the linkage connects to the lever on the gear box, by hand you can change through all the gears like using your foot simply lifting the lever but you need to rotate the rear wheel at the same time to sync the gears. it is important to remove the linkage, just looking at it really wont give you a correct diagnosis. quick search on ebay

I have just overhauled mine and it is not that difficult look for the video tutorials on line they are a great resource

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I had this happen to me on my 2001. The linkages were all fine but the bolt through the bell crank was lose and not applying the motion up or down properly. Thought i had a big problem till I found that. Just a shot at what may be a non tranny issue.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Disconnect the linkage from the shift lever and operate the lever by hand. You may have to move the tire by hand to sync the gears. This will verify if it's the linkage . This will also verify the lever is working properly.A visual inspection isn't going to do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Had to go in to do some work earlier today 4th gear fine. But unable to work on the bike later due to heavy rain, travelling home something seems to be loose in the transmission under load possibly the input shaft bearing. See if I can get a chance to look into it tomorrow as it should be drier.
The linkage goes up and down but the selector shaft seems to be solid with no play either way. Left the bike at a mates pending further investigation.

Walking boots on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts