BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have now read every previous post regarding after market windshield preferences.
I would still like to hear some opinions on the best shield from a pillion standpoint. I want to reduce the buffeting she currently experiences with the stock 24" shield I have now. She always wants it in the full up position at anything above 30 to 40 m.p.h. so I am forced to look through the shield so other than optical clarity, I really don't have any preference. I am about 6' and have the seat in the high position and can see over the shield when it is fully down. She is about 5'2" and her head is just slightly higher than me when we are riding.
It would be great to eliminate the "Backwash" that hits my back with the shield fully raised as well.
Does this mythical windshield exist?
Thanks all. :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know if the perfect windscreen exists. I went from the stock OEM windscreen to a Cee Bailey's. Although I like it better, she says she feels more turbulance on the back of her helmet. If you figure this one out, I would like to hear the answer also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the elimination of the backwash is dependent on raising the windshield about 1'-2" when you are going over 55 mph, that allows enough air "in" to offset the backwash. I have a Cee Bailey that pushes the air over my helmet and I can see over it. I am 6'3" and have a standard height windshield. Obviously how tall you are will make a big difference in the height of your shield.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently bought a '03 K1200LT. It came with a after market windshield. I have mixed feelings on it.

It has what I call a Pregnant bump. I.E. about half way down, it has a bump that protrudes out, and a scoop at the bottom. This allows some air to enter and after hitting the inner shield gives a nice gentle breeze. It's a bit taller and at the top alot aggressive (basically nearly vertical). At 50% height, 1up, I am completely bubbled. At about 85% 2up we are both bubbled.

BUT, I hate the distortion it has. On 2 up it isn't too bad.But on 1up where the sheild goes from smooth to the 'bump' it causes a distortion about 10' in front of the bike. AND IT DRIVES ME WILD!!!!

Soooooo, basicly. I find it's better than OEM (from what I read) on bubbling for 1 and 2 up. But I hate the distortion with a passion.

I'm honestly looking for a stock windshield and the chrome strips to replace my aftermarket windshield.

James Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I assume that the Cee Bailey with the reverse curve will provide a larger "pocket" behind the windshield protecting the passenger more?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's not too much trouble, would everyone kindly call their passengers into the room and have them give me their opinion on the best shield for them? :histerica
Seriously though,I really can only afford to buy one windshield and it needs to be the right one.
Any opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Have you played with the two wings under the mirror? I'm amazed at how they change the air flow, and just wondering if some of your relief might come from there. I would also wonder what a vent cut into the windshield, like the GW has, would do to airflow.
Just thinking out loud.
Pay no attention to the man behind the computer screen.

·
Registered
338 Posts
All this worry about "back wash", I don't really understand why?
First off, you should see youtube and the demo video about Comparing Polycarbonate shield vs Acrylic, it is an eye opener if you care about safety. The OEM is polycarbonate.
Wearing a full shield helmet and vented leather gear, takes care of the wind/air movement.
I would not change my OEM shield if Ceebailey gave me a free one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
LESN,

I wouldn't worry, my experience suggests that Cee Bailey will not give you anything for free. And, all things considered, I saw the YouTube video about motorcycles, they don't look safe to me.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"All this worry about "back wash", I don't really understand why?"

It's a matter of passenger comfort. The buffeting can be extremely uncomfortable, and to solve that for the passengers comfort is a real no brainer! If my wife ever complained about it, I'd do all I could to remedy the problem. Understand now?

·
Registered
51 Posts
FPMLT,

Good point my friend, "a happy wife is a happy life". Words to live by. If you think you can solve wind buffet problems with helmets and gear, (who cares what she thinks), why ride an LT? The best 'two up' bike on the market is for a couple, and I care what she thinks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an '03 LTC with a Cee Bailey #24 -2". I'm 6'0 and my pillion (wife) is 5'. I love the windshield down because it keeps the wind and rain off of my face, but my wife complains of a strong push in her back and helmet buffetting. Above about 45 mph we have to put the windshield most of the way up. Mine is very good optically, but it doesn't shed rain. All in all, my Cee Bailey is better than my OEM was.

Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
338 Posts
OK guys, I guess , I stand corrected.
For me-if I want that much comfort, I ride/drive a car. One of the joys of riding...is in fact the wind blowing in my face and elsewhere.
I realize we are not all the same and we have the ladies to contend with, the sidecar was my answer. Now talk about comfort !!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just installed a Parabellum on my '03 LT. I haven't had a chance to test it with my wife on board, but I can tell you that it is optically clear - no distortion at all. So if I need to raise it higher for my wife, it will be much better than the stock. I'll let you know how she likes it as soon as I can.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like my cee bailey. At speed, I raise it enough to quieten the ride...maybe 20%, and I can still see over it and my wife doesn't complain...but, she doesn't complain much about a little wind anyway.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Newbuellertoo said:
If it's not too much trouble, would everyone kindly call their passengers into the room and have them give me their opinion on the best shield for them? :histerica
Seriously though,I really can only afford to buy one windshield and it needs to be the right one.
Any opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

NewBuellertoo,

As a more affordable "band aid" while you do more research: Might I suggest asking about a Laminar Lip (http://www.laminarlip.com/k1200lt.php)

You keep your current OEM windshield and add the lip. It claims to allow you to keep the windshield at a lower level and deflect more wind over...this might make Momma happy.

Just a thought of an option.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the input guys!
As I probably didn't state it very clearly, this is about comfort for my wife, not for me.
I would ride on a seat made out of nails, in a hail storm with no windshield if it was a chance to get out.
This is the first bike I have had with a windshield and I was surprised by the amount of pressure on my back from the wind with the shield full up. Guess I need to study up on aerodynamics here.
I will take a look at the video regarding safety, but I know I need something other than the O.E.M. shield to keep the little lady happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts