BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the gods of motorbikes were watching out for Slammer and the Pig this morning.
You guys don´t know just how lucky you are to have roads in just two dimensions and without pot holes worth mentioning.
The big ass bolt, connecting the rear shock to the end drive on my lt 1100 94 model sheared off this morning and a half ton of Pig and Slammer crashed onto the rear wheel stopping it dead. Was going at walking speed so we just slithered to a juddering halt.
I had to take the bus to work this morning, and as usual Transport Malta was having a bad day, it took me two and a half hours for the 12 Kilometers, plenty of time to let my imagination run amok thinking what could have happened if we had been at speed or in a curve.
Brrr!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Well the gods of motorbikes were watching out for Slammer and the Pig this morning.
You guys don´t know just how lucky you are to have roads in just two dimensions and without pot holes worth mentioning.
The big ass bolt, connecting the rear shock to the end drive on my lt 1100 94 model sheared off this morning and a half ton of Pig and Slammer crashed onto the rear wheel stopping it dead. Was going at walking speed so we just slithered to a juddering halt.
I had to take the bus to work this morning, and as usual Transport Malta was having a bad day, it took me two and a half hours for the 12 Kilometers, plenty of time to let my imagination run amok thinking what could have happened if we had been at speed or in a curve.
Brrr!
Now that's very scary! Gotta wonder however, what would cause that bolt to Shear? Was it corroded or rusted or did it just come loose and work it's way out? I think it would take an incredible force to actually shear. Curious minds want to know.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Yes, carbide drill spade type, or maybe a left hand drill and easy out, but carbide after you center punch it is the best. And best in a fixture in a big drill or milling machine. You are correct the long way is the short way, take it off and take it to a machine shop. You will be happy in the long run.
Looks like old age for that bolt. And, give serious thought to the quality of that rear shock, is it time for a rebuild or a new one? That could contribute to beating up that bolt.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well the gods of motorbikes were watching out for Slammer and the Pig this morning...
Hi Slammer,

Glad to hear you are ok, this incarnation of the pig really doesn't like Malta.

Hope everything else is going well for you.

Take care

Best regards
Sleuth

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Slammer,

Glad to hear you are ok, this incarnation of the pig really doesn't like Malta.

Hope everything else is going well for you.

Take care

Best regards
Sleuth
Actually I am not too unhappy with the pig´s performance here, despite the wretched roads and drivers from the "Mediterranean" school of driving, piggy has held up quite well, best points are of course all year riding, no ice hence no salt and slow "cruising" speeds and some of the more bendy roads can find their equals in the alps, albeit for only short stretches.
I do tend to go through tires like a mofo though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Glad to hear that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sooo, how are we getting on…?
Well with a liddle help from a friend we started to dismantle. That bolt was screwed in big time, no amount of prayer would get the thing to budge. Clearly bigger guns were needed.

Off with the end drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the photo's.

Shame they were not able to move the dratted thing. Still you have beautiful blue skies and light - so envious. Here it is cold, wet & miserable!

I see you still have your Swiss plates, how is that battle going? (You can send a PM if you so desire!)

Best regards
Sleuth

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the photo's.

Shame they were not able to move the dratted thing. Still you have beautiful blue skies and light - so envious. Here it is cold, wet & miserable!

I see you still have your Swiss plates, how is that battle going? (You can send a PM if you so desire!)

Best regards
Sleuth
The battle is still ongoing, gonna give the numberplate Odyssey it´s own write up, at the moment I can say that I am winning, it´s the Swiss who are going bananas, they want their plate back and the Swiss police have a warrant out for me should I ever return to CH, I am your official outlaw biker.
That bolt goes right through the faceplate of the enddrive and is in very, very tight, I have taken the drove off and hopefully a machine shop will be able to remove it for me.
Let´s see.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Need a place to hole up? You know where to come. After the Maltese roads and after the cold & rain of a Switzerland - Pig will feel she has the worst of all worlds! :D

Good luck on sorting the Swiss cops out. (also sorting the rear drive.)

Look forward to hearing your adventures in the way only the Slammer can tell!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had the lower shock mounting bolt shear on my NT700 a while back. Luckily it hadn't moved out very far and was spotted during a tyre change. An engineer friend checked the bolt and said it had either been overtightened at the factory or the thread cut too deep. Honda weren't interested (I wasn't after money) even when I said I would drop the bike the bike into a dealer so they could look at it and maybe prevent a serious accident. They said they'd charge me for the privelege!!!
I now change the bolt evry 20,000 miles in case. Worth a fiver for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the lower shock mounting bolt shear on my NT700 a while back. Luckily it hadn't moved out very far and was spotted during a tyre change. An engineer friend checked the bolt and said it had either been overtightened at the factory or the thread cut too deep. Honda weren't interested (I wasn't after money) even when I said I would drop the bike the bike into a dealer so they could look at it and maybe prevent a serious accident. They said they'd charge me for the privelege!!!
I now change the bolt evry 20,000 miles in case. Worth a fiver for the peace of mind.
I had never, ever given that bolt a thought, I will do now though, 20.0000 M´s seems like a good time to change.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
If that bolt is still hard to remove try using a heat gun or hair dryer on "High" to it before using force. Chances are Loctite was used to secure that bolt... Heat will take care of that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts