BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 miles from home and every time a banked into a low speed corner coasting I could here a horrible scraping sound sound from the rear of the bike if I got back on the throttle the noise seemed to go away or I just couldn't here over the engine. Put it up on the center stand and no noticeable play. I rode the rest of the way home hoping it was just a worn out rear brake pad. Just checked the pads there fine but the rotor is loose on the bolts/rivets checked the service manual and no mention of how to shim or allowable free play. Any ideas and is it a big deal just to ignore?? Buy the way it is a 99 LT with 67,000 miles.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
datsme said:
2000 miles from home and every time a banked into a low speed corner coasting I could here a horrible scraping sound sound from the rear of the bike if I got back on the throttle the noise seemed to go away or I just couldn't here over the engine. Put it up on the center stand and no noticeable play. I rode the rest of the way home hoping it was just a worn out rear brake pad. Just checked the pads there fine but the rotor is loose on the bolts/rivets checked the service manual and no mention of how to shim or allowable free play. Any ideas and is it a big deal just to ignore?? Buy the way it is a 99 LT with 67,000 miles.
Not a big deal but you DO NEED to replace the rotor. Most folks here go with the EBC ROTOR

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes - you do need to replace the rotor. Mine had been making the cow-bell noise for a while. The mechanics that looked at it said it was fine - one of those "they all do it" situations.

In June on a trip to Tennessee, the rivets that allow the rotor to float disintegrated. I was left with a rotor that I could hold in place while spinning the rear wheel. Lesson learned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts