BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to decide by tomorrow on getting a new bike. I test rode today the K1300GT, R1200RT, and at the last moment the K1200LT. I am replacing my HD Ultra Classic. I first rode the GT and it wasn't for me. I then rode the RT and I did like that bike. On a whim I tried I rode the LT and I liked how it rode and the comfort, but man is that thing big. I wish it did have more power though.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on their LT's with regards to experiences (good and bad)? Also how does this bike handle on winding roads?

Are their any aftermarket "musts" for this bike as well?

Thank you in advance.
Ken

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just bought a new 09 LT and I love that machine LOL I'm having a blast fully outfitting it.

You're right not enough power and heavy heavy heavy but once you get used to it there is no other Bike like it.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Ken..you came to the right place for facts and fancy...

I'm a recovering HD rider. Never, ever thought about BMW except as 3 capital letters...

Now I am a 4 year convert... loved the bike since first riding. (Oh, I rode HD for several decades and was very active in local HOG, etc.)

When I can't have my LT I'm hanging up my spurs.

Must have?
intercom nice... plays music into helmet..
PIAA lights... and/or MOTOLIGHTS if you want to increase conspicuity or ride at night
New seat....(recovered actually.. stock is awful)
xtended warranty .....

nice to have../ should have
ATGATT
ATGATT - for passenger (pilion)
GPS (saves maps)
electric underwear...
thermostat for electric underwear
GOOD tire gauge
Tire air pump and flat fixin stuff

·
Registered
36 Posts
My LT is the only bike I've had in a long time that my wife is comfortable on. The only thing I've done to mine is add a GPS. I do keep the bike on a Battery Tender as some have had battery draining issues when it has sat for a while. I plan on buying Nolan helmets with bluetooth headsets so I can get the helpful advice from the backseat. :histerica

·
Registered
444 Posts
I rode v-twins for many years (not harleys) then went to a 1200 goldwing, then to my LT. I absolutly love the LT. A must for me was a new seat. I also added GPS and this year a radar detector.

As far as the power, get those revs up!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
As far as the power, get those revs up!

+1 on the revs. The LT really runs well at 4000+rpm; it will trounce your HD - it just doesn,t have the low rpm grunt of the Ultra. The LT will also run stronger after a good break-in period(about 3-4K miles).

You will find a plethora of "add-ons" for the LT. Probably the two most significant would be a good aftermarket seat and HID lighting.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
ken6217 said:
I am going to decide by tomorrow on getting a new bike. I test rode today the K1300GT, R1200RT, and at the last moment the K1200LT. I am replacing my HD Ultra Classic. I first rode the GT and it wasn't for me. I then rode the RT and I did like that bike. On a whim I tried I rode the LT and I liked how it rode and the comfort, but man is that thing big. I wish it did have more power though.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on their LT's with regards to experiences (good and bad)? Also how does this bike handle on winding roads?

Thank you in advance.
Ken
It will and does run the twisties as if much smaller a bike, The stability in and out of corners having virtually NO dive when finding yourself mashing on the brakes only adds to the enjoyment of flogging the big girl like a sport bike.

Yea, maybe a touring bike by design, but make no mistake about it, they are right at home doing the curves too :dance:

* The real fun does not start until you realize how happy the LT gets between 4K & Red line ..... What a blast !!

·
Registered
912 Posts
The LT is great. Yes, I should add that if you are buying new, you also get a mature ABS & power break, which really helps with a Liter + bike, and the BMW one does work.

You may find the trans sometimes difficult, or at least different to shift from your H-D. Its a dry clutch. Preloading the gear helps going both up and down. You can make effortless shifts that way, and you only need to ease off on the throttle and blip the clutch that way. Its a matter of keeping the gears spinning. Pull the clutch out all the way and the gears will stop. Preload the gear change a little and shifting is smooth.

You will be higher up on the LT than on the H-D. Its great in traffic with the extra visibility, which works both ways. As to visibility, the LTs now have that nice brake light high on the trunk.

Big bikes can fall - I cannot think of a single liter bike I would ever want to be on and have the wheel turned when I hit the brake at low speed. But at least on the LT, the black wing hides a steel bar and the side cases are hardened to hold the back up. On flat and some other surfaces, you and a rider's legs will be protected if it happens.

Lastly, is a great bike for riding two up. The stock seat does a good job of putting the passenger high enough to see over your shoulder. I like the stock seat just fine, but some have other opinions.

Reverse works well, The electro-hydraulic center stand lift is great. The side-stand lean may scare you at first, but it works. BTW, with all bikes and especially with large bikes, as you probably already know from the Ultra, make sure the trans is in first gear when you park on the sidestand. Many of us shut the bike off by deploying the side-stand while in gear. At 845 lbs, the LT (like the Wing and the Harley Cruisers) are just too inviting a target for gravity if you leave it in neutral. I have parked my LT in some really pitched lots in South Dakota, Wyoming, and recently in TN. I have never had a problem as long at it was in gear.

The LT is almost perfectly balanced. I love changing lanes at 70 by just shifting my legs and letting all the german engineering do the work.

Yes, you do give up a little low end torque. But you can also take the LT through twisties, curves or slabs for 500 to 600 miles without excessive fatigue, and if you could do that on H-D, you are a better man than me.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Thanks for the comments. You guys aren't trying to push me over to the LT side are you? :)

I am going to give it another ride tomorrow morning just to make sure and then pull the trigger.

I was very surprised when I took it on the highway and was looking for 6th gear only to find out there wasn't once. I was doing in the 70's and the rpm's were in the mid 4000's or so and I was wondering if this is right. I am used to touring bike lower in the RPM range. I assume this is right?

Has anyone hooked up satellite radio to their LT? I looked at Cyclegadgets.com and they have a a package using a FM modulator. Do these sound OK?

Can you tell me more about after market seats. Has anyone put on additional highway pegs to stretch out your legs?

Thanks again.
Ken

·
Registered
96 Posts
Three years into the LT and still loving it. I added turn signal mirrors, Motolights, running lights to replace reflectors on the side cases, modulating brake lights over the rear case and comm. system for myself and my wife, then bought after-market seats and a gps.
While riding, I pretty much use 3000 rpm as my que to down shift. On my last long trip through lots of twistys, mountains, the bike handled perfectly for me, and averaged 50. 3 mpg. A great motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
DakotaDude said:
As far as the power, get those revs up!

+1 on the revs. The LT really runs well at 4000+rpm; it will trounce your HD - it just doesn,t have the low rpm grunt of the Ultra. The LT will also run stronger after a good break-in period(about 3-4K miles).

You will find a plethora of "add-ons" for the LT. Probably the two most significant would be a good aftermarket seat and HID lighting.
Ditto on the above, especially the RPM comments, the HD not important if a newer bike.
You should have a long enough inseam.
What year you looking at?
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
ken6217 said:
I wish it did have more power though.

Thank you in advance.
Ken
Coming from a twin, I'll bet you didn't get the LT above 4000 RPM. There is life above 5000 RPM and a whole different bike. She'll pull away from traffic nicely with a down shift and a twist of the throttle. The faster it goes the more it will accelerate. :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SmokinJoe said:
Ditto on the above, especially the RPM comments, the HD not important if a newer bike.
You should have a long enough inseam.
What year you looking at?
Good luck!
I am looking at a new '09. My inseam is 32. The bike felt comfortable but want to take it out again in the morning. The salesperson also said as well about getting the revs up.
Ken

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ken6217 said:
I first rode the GT and it wasn't for me. I then rode the RT and I did like that bike. On a whim I tried I rode the LT and I liked how it rode and the comfort, but man is that thing big. I wish it did have more power though.
You didn't mention your significant other. How much you'll be riding two-up, and for what distances should weigh in your decision.

The reason I mention this is I've been on my LT for 6 years now and I still love the bike. However, it can be a handful at slow speeds. Nothing that you won't get used to, but it is a different beast. There is nothing better for two-up.

What I found interesting about your post is that you started with the GT, and ended with the LT wishing for more power. Maybe you should ride the GT again!

Lots of folks here have switched to the GT and RT, mainly because of the weight and power improvements. As much as I love my LT, these thoughts have crossed my mind also! However, I'm still not quite ready to let the big lady go. But, I did recently add a 2007 F800S, and this bike at literally half the weight of the LT is a constant reminder of how big the LT is.

Without knowing your personal situation it's hard to say more, but in short - nothing will top the LT for comfort (1 or 2 up), but the other two will give you almost the same comfort with a lot less weight.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Ken,
I have an 01 LT, an '07 Deuce and an '06 Yamaha FZ1. The only time I've ever felt like the LT lacked for power was up over 100 mph, and at extreme altitude. It sort of dies out in triple digits (and my riding buddies on FJR's and Concours kick my butt), and you'll need to drop a gear up HIGH in the mountains. Other than that, you're gonna love it. I'm getting ready to upgrade the suspension to either Ohlins or Wilburs. At 65K mine are just worn out. I also had to get an aftermarket seat. Went with Russell Daylong. Just did 2,200 miles in 4 days and was good to keep going. Just can not say enough about how well she performs.
Like was already said, if I were buying new, I would not hesitate to get an extended warranty.
Frank

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
For Satellite radio ... The "In Line" FM modulator is the way to go :clapping:

When you take your second ride, Think SPIRITED and rev it up some .... smiles for miles !!

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
DakotaDude said:
The LT will also run stronger after a good break-in period (about 8-10K miles).
Fixed it for ya :bmw:

I have owned 3 LTs and all of them kept getting smoother, better mileage and stronger until past the first valve check at 12K. As a matter of fact that has been true of our boxers and the new slant fours as well. The real key to breaking a BMW in is to "ride it like you stole it". Use a lot of throttle early to get the combustion pressure up and help seat the rings. The cylinders on a BMW are coated with Nikasil and very hard. Don't be afraid of high RPMs - the LT doesn't even begin to sing until you get past 6K

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Ken,
I came out of a 2001 Ultra into my 2007 LT. In addition to everything that has been said in this post, my decision was ultimately based on my riding style. While I really enjoyed my Ultra and still think there is no sound like that of the V-Twin, I really tired of dragging chrome and wallowing around the twisties on the Ultra. The LT is just a superb riding machine, especially when you keep it above 5000 rpm. It really becomes a different animal then and will amaze you at the power and handling. My SO rides with me frequently and we have done some 3000 mile tours. In her mind, there is no comparison and she absolutely prefers the LT. So, make your decision on your preferred riding style and you won't be disappointed.

You've already made the most important discovery when owning an LT...the experts on this site. Their knowledge and willingness to share it will save you thousands of $$ in maintenance costs. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again for all of the comments. With regards to some of the comments asked, it is mainly foe me but would like to take my wife on some trips. She never felt comfortable on the Ultra. I was thinking of bringing her tomorrow for a test ride but am a little apprehensive having her on the bike as I am not used to it yet.

The reason that I tried the GS, RT, and then the LT was because I wanted to try them all and my dealer really believes in giving you the keys and saying see ya later. I tried the GT and I did not like the riding position or the wind protection. I tried the RT and I did like that. When I got back to the dealer the service manager said try the LT. He said he had used the demo the last few days and said it was amazing. I said it was trailer truck but as long as I was here, why not. I gave it a ride and I was really amazed by it. The lack of power doesn't bother me as I am not buying it for speed. I have a Ducati that is 165 HP and weigh's 368 lbs. I can get my speed fix from that. If I didn't have the Duc, I would probably consider the RT instead of the LT, but luckily I am able to have two bikes.

When I take out the LT in the morning, I will take it out for a nice ride making sure that I get on it as well.
Ken

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Remember... keep r's over 2k at all times while moving.. you'll be at the start of the power curve.. hang on.. something that big will seem slow... it isn't. The wind protection, etc. change your perception .... be careful.

Remember, too, this is an AUTOBAHN machine.. it will do whatever you want... all day.

Then when you want some "twisty fun" it will smoothly go through places that makes the Hogs squeel....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts