BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I got some info on people concerned about a surfacing engine noise on the 1250...What has become of that?

Beemer moma fix it?

It disappeared?

has become accepted?

What happened with that issue?

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Both of my RTs make engine noise. Then I know the engines are actually running. I love both the '17 and '19. Best RTs ever. My most difficult problem is deciding which one to ride when I head to my garage.

If there is a Harley nearby I cannot hear my RT's engines.

Reactions: taran1900

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very real for me, I did find a partial fix for it that helped but it is still there. Enough for me to be selling the bike next month and accepting a huge loss on the overall deal. I loved my 1200 but buying the 1250 was the biggest motorcycle mistake I have ever made.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Very real for me, I did find a partial fix for it that helped but it is still there. Enough for me to be selling the bike next month and accepting a huge loss on the overall deal. I loved my 1200 but buying the 1250 was the biggest motorcycle mistake I have ever made.
Could you explain further on the issue and your partial fix?

Sorry to hear you have to take a financial bath to get out of something that is a problem rather then you just wanting something new.

After the LT, when I got on the RT I was like WTF is this motor blowing up? Then when I got the GS it also is noisy but since I have inspected it at 59 miles, 600, miles and every 6000 after I pull covers, check cam and cam timing, and just look around at all I can. I really dont know why they are so noisy but I see no evident wear including the cam lobes so I just go with what everyone says is normal.

I have no plans to own a 1250 but I sure would like to know more about this noise.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Wow that is some story. What noise(s) are you referring to that the 1200s didn't also have?

·
Registered
309 Posts
He might be talking about a noise that sounds like the bike is pinning or pinking (depending on which side of the pond you are on). Mine does it sometimes, but I just ignore it. It runs fine and I wear ear plugs so I don't notice it really. Still love the 1250 over my 1200, but I accept its a motorcycle and have owned many Harleys so engine noises don't bother me, especially as I have a 3 year warranty :)

Some GS owners have reported a loud clicking sound from the left hand cylinder on ticker, which has resulted in an engine swap, but not sure how big an issue that is, only a few reported in the UK.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
He might be talking about a noise that sounds like the bike is pinning or pinking (depending on which side of the pond you are on).
It's 'pinging' on this side of the pond. My '16 has always made this noise as did a new '16 I test rode after taking delivery of mine and wondering that that pinging-like sound might be, and I know many others can relate to it as well w/ R1200RTW (apparently different w/ GSW due to how sound is reflected off of fairing pieces etc). My dealer thought it might be the throttle/actuator making the noise. I know people of tried high octane ethanol-free gasoline which had no impact on the noise.

·
Registered
483 Posts
... My '16 has always made this noise as did a new '16 I test rode after taking delivery of mine and wondering that that pinging-like sound might be, and I know many others can relate to it as well w/ R1200RTW (apparently different w/ GSW due to how sound is reflected off of fairing pieces etc). ...
Mine does it too sometimes. I always run top tier brand high octane fuel, so I don't worry about it. Besides, I usually listen to music in my helmet, so I can't hear it anyway.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Besides, I usually listen to music in my helmet, so I can't hear it anyway.
I don't hear it since using 29dB ear plugs properly inserted and me too-I am almost always listening to music thru a Sena 10R and the ear plugs actually improve sound I assume is from serendipitously filtering out the correct interfering frequencies. Unfortunately going thru those ear plugs I have to have volume set to 1 click below maximum, but at least there is no distortion to speak of that seems to start at the max volume setting. For short errands I often skip the plugs and music and then I can hear the so-called pinging sound which manifests between about 2800-3800rpm only during acceleration which of course just reinforces the perception it's pinging! Very satisfied it isn't though, thankfully.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's 'pinging' on this side of the pond. My '16 has always made this noise as did a new '16 I test rode after taking delivery of mine and wondering that that pinging-like sound might be, and I know many others can relate to it as well w/ R1200RTW (apparently different w/ GSW due to how sound is reflected off of fairing pieces etc). My dealer thought it might be the throttle/actuator making the noise. I know people of tried high octane ethanol-free gasoline which had no impact on the noise.
I never heard it on my 1200 and it doesn't happen either on our 2015 RTP. My 1250 was the first time i have come across it. But it doesn't bother me :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have hears of couple of videos featuring the engine noise on the 1250/s...I ain't no engineer, but that does not sound right to me

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have hears of couple of videos featuring the engine noise on the 1250/s...I ain't no engineer, but that does not sound right to me
I'm persuing it through the dealers at the moment. I sent them audio recordings of the noise which, I'm 100% sure is pre ignition or pinging. The fist time it went in for investigation, I got the "they all do that" line. I put my earplugs in and forgot about it.
On a recent slowish tour two up and loaded I rode without earplugs.
Shocking stereotypical pinking when under load. Aborted a few overtakes out of mechanical sympathy. I've had piston crowns destroyed by pre ignition and I'm not riding round listening to my 16 grand engine self destruct..
The gruppen fuhrer is investigating.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Wierpig, let me know how you do on this issue. I got my eye on a 2021 but I ain't buying that engine with that quirk....that ain't right.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Sorry for you problems with a new bike. Something is wrong and BMW should step up. Here is the difference between ping and detonation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They have not stepped up. After me producing video recordings of the noise ( with good audio) they are still unable to replicate the noise. I know when I collect it it will do it straight away. I don't have time for all this shit. I'm looking for alternative bikes, even though the Rt really suits me. I can't ride round listening to that noise. Poor design and worse customer service.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They have not stepped up. After me producing video recordings of the noise ( with good audio) they are still unable to replicate the noise. I know when I collect it it will do it straight away. I don't have time for all this shit. I'm looking for alternative bikes, even though the Rt really suits me. I can't ride round listening to that noise. Poor design and worse customer service.
I feel your pain bro! I am an RT fan meself but I am currently riding a Wing. I tour cross country and I already got stuck on the road with a BMW GT quirk which took BMW ages to acknowledge and fix...now they have tranny problems.
The Wing is a 300,000 miles guarantee pretty much trouble free. But I prefer the RT.

However, I am on the sideline for the 2021 RT waiting and see if BMW grows some integrity about this model. Its a beautiful bike no doubt, but there ain't no telling what that engine noise could possibly cause hauling arses up and down the US at 90mph.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not wanting to insult anyone, but could it be your riding style -- too low a RPM for the conditions? Does it do it at higher RPM?
Could a shop, dealer or otherwise retard the timing a tiny bit? Also, carbon build up can cause pinging....run some Sea Foam through it according to the instructions on the can.

My 2016 RTW is "noisy" but has ~60,000 miles and otherwise runs like a top. But I usually keep it in a lower gear because I like the "right-now" power.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been riding 45 years. 15 on boxers. I know they are prone to pre ignition, that's why they put knock sensors on them, forget all that "for using lower grade gasoline" bollocks. They are tuned on a knife edge to conform to euro 4 standards (5 soon, god help the new 1250 owners) and produce good on paper torque and power values.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts