BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still experimenting with The GoPro Hero camera. So far I really like the quality and versatility. Almost everything I have shot to date has been done in 30 fps with the 170 degree wide angle view and camera mounted on handle bars.

I want to try some 60 fps, side body panel and luggage mounting options. Unfortunately, I am running out of riding weather quickly. Low temps don't bother me, but don't care for frozen roadways.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceDreyfus?feature=mhum#p/u/0/7bINdf8NBaw

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Lawrence;

Looks a fun commute. Been quite some time since spent time in N.E. Kansas. The camera seems to work very well..............Have fun with it and do B-Safe............... :cool:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a great commute. Actually, I normally bypass the Kansas Turnpike and take US 24/40, but on the day I recorded I took I-70 all the way from Lawrence, KS to KC, MO.

Thanks,

Lawrence

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cfell said:
Looks like a friendly Troll booth operator...

Thx for taking along for the ride!
I've resisted getting an electronic toll pass because I love visiting with the toll operators. I gotten to know most of them and some of their spouses! For the most part they are great folks!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
I've resisted getting an electronic toll pass because I love visiting with the toll operators. I gotten to know most of them and some of their spouses! For the most part they are great folks!
Agreed, Lawrence... they pulled all the "operators" out of our booths and are using "photo recognition" software to nab the toll... less human interaction...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Just scored me a GoPro off of Craigslist ... I get it today! I stole it! :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cfell said:
Agreed, Lawrence... they pulled all the "operators" out of our booths and are using "photo recognition" software to nab the toll... less human interaction...
I totally agree...

I have developed quite a fond relationship with some of them over the last 20 years of my commute. I don't see the same person every day, but over the course of time you become familiar with their extended family members and what's going on in their lives... I quite like it! It had a human element to my 2-hour round trip commute!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Love the GoPro...
here's a little run from last weekend downunder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDlAWa_CRo

Mounted on my co-pilot shelf, but with a skelton housing so I can feed USB power to it from the side. That gets a lot of wind noise. The ride part is zoomed in in the edit. Shot 720p at 50fps.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cws said:
Love the GoPro...

Mounted on my co-pilot shelf, but with a skelton housing so I can feed USB power to it from the side. That gets a lot of wind noise. The ride part is zoomed in in the edit. Shot 720p at 50fps.
Great video! Awesome road!! Did you shoot with the open back or closed back?

Congrats!! Lawrence

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Did you shoot with the open back or closed back?
It's what they call the "skeleton" housing, Lawrence.
It has cut-outs on the sides so you can access the SD card slot and also the USB & Monitor ports. I've set up a power tap from the front dash light to a 12V-5V usb adapter (cigarette lighter type) and power the camera via the USB cable. That way I can fill a 16Gb video card without running out of battery power. I've also got the full waterproof housing with both backs (for surfing or rainy weather).
Note to anyone thinking about buying one.. you don't need any more than a Sandisk Ultra II SDHC 15Mb/s card. That's the max data bit-rate that the camera uses, so no point buying more expensive 20 or 30 Mb/s cards, there's no benefit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cws said:
Love the GoPro...

Chris,

I experimented with some suction cup mount positions. The last one, on the windscreen was surprisingly quiet and a nice view!

I'm definitely going to get a skeleton case for charging while running!

Lawrence

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Hi Lawrence.
Loved the shot coming into Lone Star Lake, that looks very pretty.
The suction cup mounts look like a good idea... I was looking around under the front fairings of the LT for a place to put the sticky mounts, but nowhere really seemed right. The suction cup might be the answer.

Was the last 1/2 shot at 1080P? It looks like it was with to the reduced angle of view.... or did you zoom in in the edit?
Lots of posterisation on youtube at 360P playback, what size did you edit/render it at?

I guess one thing you have to watch when posting, is shots where you're going over double lines or through stop signs.... (I edit them out! ;-P )

You know what, I knew I shouldn't have bought the skeleton case, I think they are good for in-car or somewhere out of the weather.
Instead I should have gone with my first idea, get another full-waterproof case and just dremel a hole in the side for the usb-power cable, with a silicon "bung" to help keep any water entering from the side. The cases are the same price, and there's really no need to access the SD card side while its in the case.... less chance of a sudden rain-shower getting the camera wet (that happened a couple of weeks ago!)

Looking forward to more posts!
cheers, and best wishes for the festive season
Chris

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Chris,

I also love the Lone Star Lake area. It's a great little fishing/swimming Lake in our County. We have a much larger reservoir (Clinton, which you only see the dam as I am driving over) but Lone Star is quite beautiful and peaceful. It's also a great bicycle ride out that way as are most of the paved county roads near us.

I shot the whole ride at 960p (r4 mode) and uploaded it at 640. Nothing fancy. I am going to try some 60 fps filming on the University campus in our town (Kansas University)... it's quite pretty and has great roadways around the very gorgeous campus... my plan is to take the same 2 mile course shot in 4 different positions, then edit them together.... we'll see how THAT goes!

You know, I didn't even pay attention to the line crossing and stops... oops!! I'll pay more attention next time (to both riding and editing!!

Take care and I wish you the best for a lovely holiday season as well!

Lawrence

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: On board GoPro Hero video - mounts

A nice mounting position for camera forward or back (as in this case)

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Very nice Lawrence, makes it that more enjoyable to watch!
cheers

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Very nice footage indeed, Lawrence! :)

Chris - question for you - did you use a video stabiliser to get the picture so smooth? Or is the Old Road that smoothly surfaced?

Here is another video that I shot on the GOR over the Christmas break.

Ride video link

Cheers
Tony

1 - 20 of 21 Posts