BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On board computer has been blank (no readout) since I changed the battery. Have tried re setting following the owners manual but NO zip zero results. Any suggestions on how to make this little guy come alive??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
bugged said:
On board computer has been blank (no readout) since I changed the battery. Have tried re setting following the owners manual but NO zip zero results. Any suggestions on how to make this little guy come alive??
First step: Check fuse F5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obc

Thanks Mark
I did check fuse and it is OK or intact.Next!
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
obc

Checked fuse with my volt ohm meter and it indicated continuity besides I could see fuse filament was intact.
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
bugged said:
Thanks Mark
I did check fuse and it is OK or intact.Next!
Bob
Ok :) -- fuse F1 next.

I expect this fuse will also be ok. Next step after that is to disconnect the battery for several minutes, then reconnect and check the BC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Do not trust your eyes

bugged said:
Checked fuse with my volt ohm meter and it indicated continuity besides I could see fuse filament was intact.
Bob
Never trust your eyes for fuses on this bike. Always, always, always check with a VOM. And then replace it anyway. Seen them where they were good to the eye, good with a VOM, and the bike acts funny when it is running. DAMHIK. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BC failure

mneblett said:
Ok :) -- fuse F1 next.

I expect this fuse will also be ok. Next step after that is to disconnect the battery for several minutes, then reconnect and check the BC.
Thanks again for response:I have done that several times (disconnected battery) knowing that most puters will reset themselves if power is interrupted.Any further suggestions?
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
bugged said:
Thanks again for response:I have done that several times (disconnected battery) knowing that most puters will reset themselves if power is interrupted.Any further suggestions?
Bob
Bummer. Last thing I can think of is to check whether you have voltage at the BC harness. If you want, I can check the electrical schematic at home tonight to tell you which are the power and ground lines to check. Unfortunately, the connector is under the left side of the nose fairing, as shown in the attached pic (above the black box. I doubt it will be reachable without removing the nose (*maybe* by removing the dome over the dash and reaching down into the nose, but I doubt it; fortunately, nose removal isn't that hard). One way or the other, the nose probably will have to be removed, because if power and ground test good, I believe you'll be in the market for a replacement BC unit :( One of the LT boneyard vendors should have one.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OBC Failure

mneblett said:
Bummer. Last thing I can think of is to check whether you have voltage at the BC harness. If you want, I can check the electrical schematic at home tonight to tell you which are the power and ground lines to check. Unfortunately, the connector is under the left side of the nose fairing, as shown in the attached pic (above the black box. I doubt it will be reachable without removing the nose (*maybe* by removing the dome over the dash and reaching down into the nose, but I doubt it; fortunately, nose removal isn't that hard). One way or the other, the nose probably will have to be removed, because if power and ground test good, I believe you'll be in the market for a replacement BC unit :( One of the LT boneyard vendors should have one.
Thanks Again Mark, just realized that the OBC has lost it's illumination when the ingnition is switched on. Is this a possible clue that somehow the OBC has lost one or more of it's inter connections?? Power? all fuses prove to be ok Is there a wiring cable connection somewhere that could be open and I can check?
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
bugged said:
Thanks Again Mark, just realized that the OBC has lost it's illumination when the ingnition is switched on. Is this a possible clue that somehow the OBC has lost one or more of it's inter connections?? Power? all fuses prove to be ok Is there a wiring cable connection somewhere that could be open and I can check?
Bob
Loss of illumination is pretty suggestive of loss of all 12V to the BC. The question is whether the power loss is on the bike side of the BC plug shown on the pic, or inside the BC unit itself -- which unfortunately still requires a voltage check at the plug.

I had one additional thought -- you *may* be able to extract the BC unit itself from the dash by removing the dome and reaching in to squeeze the top and bottom retaining clips -- the BC unit then comes out the front of the dash (toward the driver). If there's enough slack in the cable, you then may be able to reach the release tabs on the cable plug without removing the nose.

Last thought: Here's one of the few places where "throwing parts at it" may be easier for you than a thorough diagnosis. My expectation is the problem is a fault in the BC unit -- the harnesses just don't often fail unless there's other direct damage (ham-fisted installation of farkles, etc.), whereas the BC units have been known to pack it in. You may want to consider just buying (or better yet, borrowing with an option to buy :)) a BC, and just plug it in and see what happens. Not my usual approach, but I'm too A.R. to be flexible enough to go this route. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
My computer failed while riding in the rain. I suspect a fouled contact somewhere. Hope its not the unit. (99 lt - 21000 at failure) :(
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top