BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in putting an on board air compressor where the canister was. Has anyone done this and, if so, can you upload some pictures so I can get an idea of setup? I would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I am interested in putting an on board air compressor where the canister was. Has anyone done this and, if so, can you upload some pictures so I can get an idea of setup? I would be eternally grateful.
This is something I have also been considering. I believe jzeller has done this but not sure if he has any pictures. I think I remember him saying that he removed the plastic coverings of the compressor to save on space.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
have a look at the last one on this list click me if this guy hasn't done it no one has :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
I never took pictures but it was a Thomas compressor (like in Ari's pictures) and it is mounted to the saddle for the canister. I had run lines to both the front and rear but took the front one out as I had to make the removable line longer to reach the Bushtec tires anyway. The rear line is stored in the dead area (out side the seal but out of view) of the right saddle bag near the front. I used regular air line QDs and cover it with a rubber cane tip to keep dirt out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, but why would you want to? On harley, it was to inflate and deflate air shocks, but i don't think they make an air shock for the LT do they?

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, but why would you want to?
If you ever had to fix a flat tire on the road ,... you would know.

A few of my friends & I took a ride to Radisson Quebec a few years ago. Radisson is just off James bay. James bay is on the south end of Hudson's bay.. kind of across James bay from Canada's Polar Bear provincial park...

Anyway, One guy got a nail in his rear tire a few hours south of town. We pulled the nail out, plugged the tire & inflated it with a Thomas compressor. From when he thought he had a problem to the time we were back on the road was like 15 minents. :wave

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, but why would you want to? On harley, it was to inflate and deflate air shocks, but i don't think they make an air shock for the LT do they?
No but it is real handy when you need to air up a flat tire that you just pugged. And you 200 miles form anything.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
To add to what John said, it also frees up space in the panniers for other items that you wouldn't have if you carry around a pump like I do. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Here's a couple of photos of a Thomas pump that I installed under the top case back in 2008.
It's a 125 series (125ADC56/12). I ordered it from Warden Fluid Dynamics in Greensboro, NC. I installed it with a Coil hose from Coilhose Pneumatics.
I chose this model because the starting current was a little lower than the 115 series (although not by much). It's wired to the unused alarm connector which goes to the horn, brake light & alarm fuse (#3, 15 Amp).

A little simpler than Ari's installation ... I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here's a couple of photos of a Thomas pump that I installed under the top case back in 2008.
It's wired to the unused alarm connector which goes to the horn, brake light & alarm fuse (#3, 15 Amp).

A little simpler than Ari's installation ... I think.
Rand, good idea using the unused alarm connector to power your pump. I'm installing a NAPA fuel pump for an aux fuel tank and was contemplating on where to power it from until your post. The NAPA pump I'm using draws 5 Amps.

Couple questions: 1) where did you ground your pump, and 2) where did you locate the on/off switch for the pump?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
438 Posts
There's a photo there of the switch. It's under the seat right near the hook for the helmet lock cable.

I don't really remember where I grounded it.........But I think I grounded it to the frame at the helmet hook (right near the switch).

It works.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's a good switch location for the compressor application since you'll be off the LT while using it. My requirement is for a switch location that I can access while riding in order to transfer fuel on the move. I'd like to avoid drilling plastic, but that may be wishful thinking.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yeah, I dunno... Like so many things I never thought of before, I installed an air compressor in the cannister location years ago after reading posts here. Much discussion on the subject on this site over the years.

The pump eventually crapped out when I was trying to inflate a flat on another bike.
I now carry a bunch of CO2 cartridges.
KISS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts