BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't have bet it could be true for a million dollars, but low and behold, much to my surprise when I finally got around to taking my expired battery out of the monster ('01) today I was completely bowled over to find that it was the original factory battery, oh my god, I've never changed the battery on that bike! That's over 6 years that battery lasted, I wouldn't have believed it could be possible if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. It seams like I'm constantly changing battery's, but obviously it's been on the other two bikes repeatedly. If I could buy those Italian battery's here I sure would. Those Yuasa battery's I've been using never seam to last me more than 2 or 3 years. Well, I'm of to battery hunt, hopefully I can get it up and running for tomorrow if I don't run into any other problems due to my neglect :(

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
RaffyK said:
Lisa:

See if you can find Optima batteries. They are real good and last a long time. :)
Sold at Batteries Plus, but I don't know how good their pricing is...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny you both mentioned Optima, my roommate just told me today not buy one! Only lasted 6 months in the Porch and less than 2 years in the Mercedes, maybe they make better motorcycle battery's? Have you guys had good luck with them in your bikes/cars? They seam to be a bad word around here.....

Thanks for the help, Lisa

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Search for Odyssey Batteries.
Military spec construction, sealed, extreem duty rated (can even get metal jacket surround).
I have one in my LT for 2 years now, OK so far and will install one in the GS before Alaska trip.
I have a Odyssey PC535 still in the box for my Harley, 3 5/8 inch wide, 6 5/8 long and 6 1/4 high I'll sell you if it fits. Terminals on top w/side mount adapters included.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the trick

the trick from my experience to a healthy batter is ... RIDE!. I had a 5 year battery on an old goldwing because i commuted and rode the bike regular. my new method of riding... i'm an old fart... i ride less frequently... finds me needing a new batt every y2 years/

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had an Optima on my Harley that lasted less then 1 year. It was always kept on a Battery Tender, too. Perhaps, the Battery Tender has an adverse affect on the gel cell type of battery??

Whatever, I went back to a stock factory Harley sealed battery. So far, I've had it in the bike for a couple of years with no problems.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Doug but thats way to big, mine meausures 2 5/8 wide by 5 1/8 long and 5 7/8 high. It's true, this is what I get for not riding, even short rides makes'em last longer.
Thanks for all the imput everyone! Lisa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts