BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a cross reference list for the 88mm x 3mm "O" Ring on the oil filter plate? The closest BMW dealer isn't close at all and if I go into a UJM dealer or auto parts store and ask for one by size I usually just get a lost/confused look.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I've never had replace mine on either of my LT's. 193,000 miles on my 2004 & 120,000 miles on my 2000.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Does anyone have a cross reference list for the 88mm x 3mm "O" Ring on the oil filter plate? The closest BMW dealer isn't close at all and if I go into a UJM dealer or auto parts store and ask for one by size I usually just get a lost/confused look.
If you feel the need to periodically replace that o-ring, Max BMW will ship it to your door but as stated, it is not necessary to swap it out on every change. Just don't over-tighten those bolts thinking you are making the seal tighter.

Reactions: Patric and beech

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't always change it either. But I just changed the oil and it's got a drip. If I'm going to pull the plate back off it doesn't make sense NOT to replace the "O" ring. I'll try loosening and re-torquing the plate first. I'd rather not have to drain the clean oil.

Yeah, I know there are lots of sources where I could get them by mail, but it also doesn't make sense to pay near as much for shipping as the part costs if I can just drive a mile and walk into a store.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I don't always change it either. But I just changed the oil and it's got a drip. If I'm going to pull the plate back off it doesn't make sense NOT to replace the "O" ring. I'll try loosening and re-torquing the plate first. I'd rather not have to drain the clean oil.

Yeah, I know there are lots of sources where I could get them by mail, but it also doesn't make sense to pay near as much for shipping as the part costs if I can just drive a mile and walk into a store.
If you have a drip then I see your dilemma. No shops south of town? I guess I am lucky having both the Northside shops fairly close. Marietta would be closest to you I expect. Not terribly convenient. Good luck with the re-torque.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I'm riding North (@800mi), leaving Thursday. Kinda like to have this fixed before then. Auto parts stores carry bulk seals but 88mm won't be real common. Much easier with a part number.

I've also got a Triumph, similar vintage as the BMW. Triumph uses many of the same vendors as Kawasaki. Nissan brakes, levers etc. I can cross the oil filter with Honda, Kawa, Fram, STP...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
If you have a drip then there is a spot of dirt in there with the o-ring. Torque has nothing to do with sealing that plate. Remove and clean it thoroughly and re-install.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
This brings up the Sunday night syndrome. Drop something and can't find it, don't have the proper obscure part or whatever. Spend $40 dollars and buy some stuff, screws, threaded clips, orings for the filter cover, orings for the final drive plug if you need them that sort of stuff. I don't know if you have ever dropped the little pin clip for the transmission linkage while doing your annual grease job, but they can be hard to find on the garage floor. A little stash of crush rings is cool too. An oil filter or two, air filter (Euromotorelectric has OEM filters cheap) This stuff gives you confidence to go ahead with jobs and no problems. My buddies bust me for having too much stuff for bikes, but they come asking if I have something. :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jzeiler - while I knew you were most likely right and I was in denial, I was hoping I wouldn't have to drain the oil again. But I also know "O" rings get hard and flat with age. This my second oil change since I got the bike. I don't know when the ring was changed last.

So, I did drain the oil. Cleaned the surfaces, put the oil back in - and I've still got a drip. Gotta call then make the drive to the dealer when they open tomorrow

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
jzeiler - while I knew you were most likely right and I was in denial, I was hoping I wouldn't have to drain the oil again. But I also know "O" rings get hard and flat with age. This my second oil change since I got the bike. I don't know when the ring was changed last.

So, I did drain the oil. Cleaned the surfaces, put the oil back in - and I've still got a drip. Gotta call then make the drive to the dealer when they open tomorrow
Bummer. At $3.12 each, buy 2 if they have then and keep a spare :) Something I should also have on hand but I don't. I think I did replace it on my first oil change 4 years ago so not all that old.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I know Dave has never changed his but I always buy the filter "kit" that comes with an o-ring and two useless crush washers (and one useful one). So I have about 10 of those old o-rings hanging on the faucet on my deep sink since I always put the new one on. But in many other applications I have re-used o-rings many times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts