BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK boys and girls this question goes against the grain.

Everyone who has upgraded there suspension is happy and that is understood but what I would like to know is how many people have NOT upgraded in anyway and have had no problems in staying stock?

I would like to upgrade but being retired and frugal does weigh on that issue.

I have had my 99 from almost the beginning (+15 yrs) and have 85K miles and still feel the bikes seems ok cornering and I ride the Beast (LOL) like an 800 Lb. sport bike. :)

Comments, opinions and concerns are always welcomed.

Later

Steve A

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My front shock went at about 60K. I just replaced it with the stock unit, as much that I was just going to replace just the front as it was that it was about 1/2 the cost (IIRC) of the the other shocks. Figured it was designed for the bike and I didn't feel like the stock unit wasn't doing the job.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My front shock went at about 60K. I just replaced it with the stock unit, as much that I was just going to replace just the front as it was that it was about 1/2 the cost (IIRC) of the the other shocks. Figured it was designed for the bike and I didn't feel like the stock unit wasn't doing the job.

I wonder what the costs were for your stock shocks?

Maybe a combination of new stock shocks and Hyperpro springs?? Something to think about, after all I have been running on stock all of this time...

Thx Steve A

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
My OEM Shocks lasted until about 50k miles (maybe they shouldn't ave lasted that long :wink: ) on my '01 LT. I then got a "new" OEM set off of a bike that was wrecked at 10k miles. I then installed the "new" shocks with the Hyperpro Springs.

Holy Cow..... What a difference, and a fraction of the other aftermarket setups (Ohlins, Wilbers). May not have been as good as the others, but the Hyperpro Springs made such a huge improvement over the OEM Springs, I was very satisfied. I for one believe that the weak link on the OEM shocks are the springs. The HP's are much more stout.

Putting the springs onto the shocks can be a challenge. I got a local tire shop to do it for me, and they charged me $40.

Rode the bike with that setup until about 95k miles.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
On my 2000 LT I replaced the stock shocks at 30K because I was bottoming out on every little bump riding 2 up. I went to Kyle Racing and Dan Kyle (owner) set up the Ohlens to fit my weight & riding style. It was like day and night after getting new shocks. I know a lot of folks here have gone with new springs on the stock shock with good results but having a set of shocks built by a guy who races with them is well worth the extra money.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I went with Ohlins at 30K. Got in on a group buy and had them for less than a new set of stock shocks (1,100). I did have them rebuilt at 30 K twice (250 + shipping) and they always felt better after the rebuild. Now I have a set of Wilbers with the rear shock being an ESA unit. Love to be able to change the preload on the fly as I always forgot to when I went two up and I was too lazy to stop dismount and crank it up and I would forget at the next gas stop.

Bottom line is the damping function is usually toast after 30 K.

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Registered
156 Posts
If it ain't broke, and ain't threatening to break you, don't fix it. Saying this, I replaced a "piece of shit" (mechanic's professional summation) front shock with a Wilburs, was greatly pleased with the personal service, and as pleased with the product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
put wilber on mine. what a change my lt is a sport bike! love the way it feels now, do not drag center stand as much. plus it is ez to get on the center stand.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Of the guys that have gone aftermarket shock, are any of you "inseam impaired?"
I'm worried that my 30" won't survive the upgrade.
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts