BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am going to buy another K1200LT this weekend (had one about 3 years ago) and just wondered if there is much difference between the newer more powerful version compared to the old 98hp version in general riding terms. I'm looking at both and am erring towards a 2002 model with 8,500 miles on it rather than the 2004 model with 20,000miles. Power stands are great I'm sure, but I never had a problem with the manual one.

Any feedback would be helpful as the price difference is considerable (£3,000), and I would like to know what extra I'm getting.

Also if you are in the market for a mint 06 R1200ST (non ABS) PM me as it's killing my knees and shoulders, hense the desire to sit up and take the world at a slower pace again.

David

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
On US models the 2002 was the first "upgrade" version of the LT. Changed the brakes, comm system, etc. The second upgrade happened with the 2005 model. Extra HP, shorter rake, Zenon light, courtesy lights, power locking side cases and topcase, and the power centerstand. The 2004 model in the US is the same as the 2002 model. One difference between 2002 and 2004 is the bearing upgrade in the final drive. 2004s are less prone to final driver failure. My regular ride is a 2002 but I have significant miles on a 2005. I ride mostly two-up. I did not see any major difference in power between the two, the power centerstand is quite finicky on anything other than level surfaces forcing you to use the sidestand,(I always put it up on the centerstand) and I found the shorter rake to give the bike a tendency to turn in on itself in slow speed manuevers. I am sure the latter issue is not that critical and even preferable after one gets used to it. I prefer my 2002 the way I have it set up. If I was going to get a replacement, I would definitely get a 2005 or newer model. Newer means everything is newer. Hoses, plastic, technology, part availability, etc. My only concern is that they do not come in any decent colors and I understand the last model in the current version(2009) will only be available in black. On the other hand, the 2002 might be the best value for your budget after you consider the model type(Custom, Elite, Standard?) and the value of any accessories included.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
David,

If you are saying that the 2004 model you are looking at has the more powerfull engine and the hydraulic centre stand then I would highly recommend that you got it, as in my opinion it is worth the extra 3000.

Simon

·
Registered
185 Posts
2000 LT, better gas MI, can bleed the brakes, ABS issues that may hassle you. Has worked for me so far. No rear end issues yet!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
simoncharles said:
David,

If you are saying that the 2004 model you are looking at has the more powerfull engine and the hydraulic centre stand then I would highly recommend that you got it, as in my opinion it is worth the extra 3000.

Simon
The 04 in Europe is the equivalent to the 05 in the US, but £3000 (nearly $6,000, or 3,740 EUR) is a lot of dough...

·
Registered
938 Posts
DLBass said:
Hi All

I am going to buy another K1200LT this weekend (had one about 3 years ago) and just wondered if there is much difference between the newer more powerful version compared to the old 98hp version in general riding terms. I'm looking at both and am erring towards a 2002 model with 8,500 miles on it rather than the 2004 model with 20,000miles. Power stands are great I'm sure, but I never had a problem with the manual one.

Any feedback would be helpful as the price difference is considerable (£3,000), and I would like to know what extra I'm getting.

Also if you are in the market for a mint 06 R1200ST (non ABS) PM me as it's killing my knees and shoulders, hense the desire to sit up and take the world at a slower pace again.

David
I would have some concerns about buying an ultra low mileage LT that is 6 years old. Sitting is not good for the seals on these bikes. Especially the rear main seal.

I purchased a US '03 with 800 miles on it in 05 (only two years old) and the seals went after about 20K miles. I would much rather have the bike with 20K miles on it.

If you want the added features, go for it. If not, then don't.. That is really what it comes down to. You should test drive both versions. But, again, be leary about very low mileage on an older bike. Alot of sitting and no riding.

·
Registered
256 Posts
DLBass said:
...just wondered if there is much difference between the newer more powerful version compared to the old 98hp version in general riding terms. ...hence the desire to sit up and take the world at a slower pace again.
In my world, riding a 2002LT, I have never wished for a "newer more powerful version" of this machine. Of course, I used to have a K75RT instead of the "more powerful version" the K100RT.

To me, using my value systems, the power increase is not worth the extra cost. There may be other features you value, and in the end, you will figure out how to spend your money.

Best Wishes.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I have a 2000 that is ridden, on average, once a week. My rear engine seal is leaking. About the only time the bike hasn't been ridden weekly was the time between when it was made and when I bought it in Sept of 2000.

Bob

·
Registered
637 Posts
TikTak said:
Hey Bob,

It was my understanding the "03+" had the bearing upgrade? Or was it "04+"?

(I ride an 03)

John
You are right, the upgrade happened in production month 7 in 2002 and I who have a 2003 LT which was produced in month 09 2002 have the new upgrade. thus 2003 bikes are one of the best when it comes to least problems. Much becouse the 2003 have the low HP engine but same dimentions and upgrade in FD as the larger HP engine has and thus less stress on the parts. :bmw:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input people

I've pretty much decided on the 2002 SE that I have first option on. Full BM history, and already fitted with autocom etc. and 8,600 on the clock.

Regards David

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey dave,

I also purchased a low mileage 03 LT (12,500on the clock) so this is my plan.
Couple things,

Ride it!!!!!

Keep an eye on fluids (clutch). If a seal does go you might see it drop before it too late.

Ride it some more!!!

Drill the weep hole.

Ride it further!!!!!!! :bmw:

John

·
Registered
331 Posts
Absolute no brainer. Go for the newer model. Two completely different bikes. I would never under any circumstances do back to the old one, NEVER.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Giles (Zippy),

It may seem a lot when compared to the price you pay for an LT in the U.S.A., but not compared to the prices of new bikes in Europe, especially Denmark and Finland.

David,

Before making a firm desicion, try riding both bikes. The newer one is supposed to be easier to handle at lower speeds due to the frame layout, it has better lighting, which still isn´t brilliant ( no pun intended ) and you should try the hydraulic centre stand. Also make sure that the throttle cables on the older model are in the newer, improved position.

I agree with the previous comments about the bike sitting around and not being used.

I also think you will find the newer one easier to sell than the previous model when and if that occurs, as depreciation will be faster.

Good luck,

Simon

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
TikTak said:
Hey Bob,

It was my understanding the "03+" had the bearing upgrade? Or was it "04+"?

(I ride an 03)

John
The bearing upgrade occurred during the second half of the 2002 production year. Quite a few 2002 models have the upgraded bearing. There is a serial number chart somewhere in this site's archives that shows when that occured so you can look it up. 2003 should be all the "new" 17 ball design. They eventually went back to the 19 ball design with another manufacturer in late 2004 production. This is my own research.

The 2004 model is the same as the 2002 model in the US.(The models are different in Europe sometimes like no cruise control.) The horsepower upgrade and everything else started with the 2005 model. The 2006 model added a few more options. Nothing new for 2007 or 2008 or 2009.

I agree with the a bike sitting around without being ridden is a risk. If the money is comparable I would go for the 2004 with 20K versus the 2002 with 8.5K. These bikes aren't really broken in until about 25K. One thing to remember about most BMW bikes and especially the LT is they are not like Harley, BSA, Triumph, or even Honda in that they should NEVER leak oil. Even a small leak means you have problems and expense coming your way very soon. If possible I would get the seller on the 2004 to spring for the 24K service before you buy as a way of checking it out. Absolutely a 12K on the 2002 if you go that route or gain some significant reduction as it's going to need the 12K plus have the coolant, brake fluid, and all oil vessels renewed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi All,
I just put a deposit on a 2003 LT with 4500 miles on it. I was reading in the forum that beware of older models with little miles. I am buying from a bmw dealership that only handles bmw bikes. They took the bike thu an inspection and assured me that the bike is sound. should I still be worried about this purchase. the cost of the bike is 13000 out the door vs. 25000 for an '09.

any thoughts would be helpful.

E.

·
Registered
637 Posts
13k for that bike sounds resonable, especially coming from a dealer.
I bought a 03 LTe From a florida dealer in february and it had 14200 miles on it. The price on that was the same as yours. So if everything is ok and you have some additional farkles then I`d say good buy :bmw:

BTW Welcome to the forum, you will find it pleasurable and very informing :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
captaine said:
Hi All,
I just put a deposit on a 2003 LT with 4500 miles on it. I was reading in the forum that beware of older models with little miles. I am buying from a bmw dealership that only handles bmw bikes. They took the bike thu an inspection and assured me that the bike is sound. should I still be worried about this purchase. the cost of the bike is 13000 out the door vs. 25000 for an '09.

E.
Have you checked book value? I think that's on the high side even for a dealer. My '03 LTE with 320 miles I purchased from a dealer in '04 was $17,500. I'd at least try for at least a one year warranty and 12K service.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Tallyho said:
The bearing upgrade occurred during the second half of the 2002 production year. Quite a few 2002 models have the upgraded bearing. There is a serial number chart somewhere in this site's archives that shows when that occured so you can look it up. 2003 should be all the "new" 17 ball design. They eventually went back to the 19 ball design with another manufacturer in late 2004 production. This is my own research.
I have been wondering about this. It seems to have become accepted that there was a bearing "upgrade" in 2002. Others seems to argue that this was simply a change in suppliers. And if this was in fact, an upgrade, why did they go back to the other design? Was it a "downgrade" ?

I am beginning to think it is wishful thinking to help owners sleep better at night :sleep:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
captaine said:
Hi All,

E.
'03 is a good year but $13K is high (bike is probably worth no more than $10K, so you decide how much the dealer should make.) A bike sitting for 5 years isn't good. Read rglassma's thread about "Time to find another ride" to see what can happen. Which dealer is it? I like the suggestion to have them throw in an extended warranty, or get them to commit to cover any seal related repairs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts