BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the bike and it has an old GPS unit on it.....from searches I have found out that Garmin doesn't update this model anymore. To begin with it's a very tedious unit, especially with no book, all I have learned on looking addys up is thru trial and error.
My question, the unit will run on batteries or 12VDC, if I put rechargeable batteries in, will they charge. Just thinking if I didn't need to pack some AA's would make things simpler....and me, I like simple and cheap. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Pretty sure that is a StreetPilot III and it will run on batteries. Makes a good door stop too. It will work and get you home, but it is very slow and will frustrate you to death when it recalculates.

Ebay has them for $25.00. Spend $100-200 dollars and get one that you will use and enjoy.

I'm not sure about the rechargeable batteries.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
FrankNitti said:
Just bought the bike and it has an old GPS unit on it.....from searches I have found out that Garmin doesn't update this model anymore. To begin with it's a very tedious unit, especially with no book, all I have learned on looking addys up is thru trial and error.
My question, the unit will run on batteries or 12VDC, if I put rechargeable batteries in, will they charge. Just thinking if I didn't need to pack some AA's would make things simpler....and me, I like simple and cheap. ;)

I really like my Nuvi 550. Even though it is in the Nuvi series it is advertized as waterproof. I have used mine for a year and a half with no problems. I did buy lifetime maps for it. I think I paid about $220.00

Robert

·
Registered
494 Posts
No the batteries will not re-charge.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If you have the cord for it there is no need to use batteries a it will run off the bike battery.

Loren

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
A little Garmin history (more than you wanted to know) of the Street Pilot:

The first Garmin StreetPilot was introduced at CES 1998. It featured a 240x160 black and white screen and a database of nearby services and attractions, with on-screen routing. A revised model with 240x128 color screen, the StreetPilot ColorMap was introduced soon after, adding information on services available at highway exits. The devices used 8MB or 16MB cartridges, onto which mapping data was loaded from the user's computer, at a chosen detail level (8MB covered the Atlanta Metropolitan Area at high detail, or a greater area at highway-level detail).

The successor model was the StreetPilot III in 2002, which had a 3.85" 305x160 color screen and added voice prompts, so that drivers would no longer be required to look at the screen for instructions. It came with 32MB or 128MB (Deluxe model) data cards, on to which the user would load his required mapping, plus a base map featuring major highways.

The 2610, 2620, 2650 and 2660 models were introduced in August 2003, with 3.7" 305x160 color screens, and featured for the first time touch-sensitive screens, as well as a CompactFlash Type II slot. The 2610 and 2650 models were supplied with maps on CD plus a 128MB CF card, while the 2620 and 2660 models had no CDs, because maps were pre-installed on the 2.2GB Microdrive. They also added multi-stop route optimization. The 2650 and 2660 were required to be fitted to the car by a professional installer, and had a reversing light sensor, speed sensor, and angular direction sensor, to boost the system's accuracy, plus dead reckoning capability. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
In many ways I like the old Nav III's better than the newer models, especially the toggle wheel that lets you make selections without taking your eyes off the road, and always works unlike some finicky touch screens. The thing eats batteries though. Don't have a cable to connect to your bike? Make it yourself, check here:
http://www.pfranc.com/

Make your own updated maps here:
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
FrankNitti said:

Check for a PM about the BMW manuals and not the Garmin one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts