BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Old geezer magnets: LT's.

5K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  JoeTerry 
#1 ·
When I as in my twenties, I believed that "middle age" began at 35. 50, would definitely qualify for an "old Geezer". Now that I am, I'm "only as old as I feel". Beautiful cliche.
I ask you this: Where are the young, new LT riders? I know there are some, but on this site, the median age isn't too low. About ten years ago the motorcycle industry was concerned about the statistic that not too many of the under 40 crowd were starting to ride, certainly, not enough to replace the over 40 getting out. When we were teens, even in the suburbs there were still many places to "legally ride" mini bikes and such. So we started. This may be a rehash of an old thread, but having tried the "search forums" 13 times now, I've never seen anything but "0 results found".

#2 ·
I could never afford a bike like the LT in my 20's. In my 50's I have the time and resources to have the bike that not only fits me (I make my R80RT look like a mini-bike), it's the best bike I could own!

Have fun,
Jer

#3 ·
jers99lt said:
I could never afford a bike like the LT in my 20's. In my 50's I have the time and resources to have the bike that not only fits me (I make my R80RT look like a mini-bike), it's the best bike I could own!

Have fun,
Jer
+1
I always wanted a bike like the LT even when I was 20 but didn't have the resources to afford it and take care of it so I went with the inexpensive cruisers from Honda and Kawasaki, etc.. Now in my 40's I get what I want, sorta like the old guy and the sports car cliche.

#4 ·
I'm 33 and have owned 5 different bikes prior to purchasing my new to me LT. I must say most enjoyable motorcycle I've ever owned. :thumb: But all of you more mature riders are correct, I couldn't afford a new LT with a family and small children so I found a nice used one worth the money. Couldn't be happier.

#6 ·
According to Cisco's World Technology Report, September 2011, 2/3 of college students would rather have an internet connection than a car.

Given that more people would choose a car over a motorcycle it's no wonder that almost all the people I meet on the road riding motorcycles are "old geezers."

Just like me.

--Bob

#7 ·
There are other mitigating factors...between 26 and 30, the Wife and I dropped a good 80k between two Corvettes. Then she got pregnant and the toys got covered up for a good 6-8 years. I was 'too afraid of the risks' back then to even consider motorcycles.

Flash-forward to when I turned 40, and the motorcycle was _incredibly_ affordable, compared to the equivalent performance in a sportscar ($9k vs. $45k), and it was an excuse to start making decisions that 'weren't the wisest'...call it a mid-life crisis if you want, but it was the first truly selfish purchase I'd made since before the kids were born. the fact I couldn't HOPE to afford a sportscar after all the various bubbles popped has an effect, too.

#8 ·
Yep, it seems the newest 18-30 group would rather sit in front of a monitor than go anywhere. :wack: When they do travel most want to do it in a rolling living room. Mine haven't gotten MC endorsements yet but do ride pillion with me and enjoy it. Let's tout the benefits of experiencing the countryside not just viewing it from a bubble. ;)

#10 ·
I grew up riding motorcycles (built my first by mounting a Briggs & Stratton engine on a bicycle at age 11). In my mid-twenties we had our second child and decided maybe I shouldn't be bombing around on a motorcycle with two babies at home. So I sold the bike for a down-payment on our first house. Fast forward fifteen years (1994 at age 40)...bought another bike and been riding ever since.

For me, it was more lifestyle than economics that kept me off of bikes until later in life.

#11 ·
BennyBob said:
Yep, it seems the newest 18-30 group would rather sit in front of a monitor than go anywhere. :wack: When they do travel most want to do it in a rolling living room. Mine haven't gotten MC endorsements yet but do ride pillion with me and enjoy it. Let's tout the benefits of experiencing the countryside not just viewing it from a bubble. ;)
I think it really depends on where you are in life. In my teens, Dad would occasionally take me to the western slope of Colorado to go camping and fishing...and it didn't really do anything for me. Between 15 and 39, I hardly set foot in the hills, mostly because the main East West interstate (I-70) is a freekin' parkinglot on the weekends.

Last year I took three days and rode the million dollar highway (afoiding I-70 entirely). It was a life changing experience...it seemed like every five miles I'd be thinking "This is the prettiest thing I've ever seen", then I'd crest a ridge and it would get better. My only complaint at this point is that I really can't share it with the wife...no place to shuck the kids for three or four days at a time.

#12 ·
I sold my last dirt bike to buy my first car and realized that it was probably safer for me to be in a car than on a bike (i like to go fast and really didnt care about much of anything back in my 20's). I wanted to get back to riding but didnt trust myself. when i was 40 i went to see my dad and he gave me his 94 r1100rs. i rode that for about 2 years and decided i wanted to ride ALOT more and had missed it very much so we took a test ride on a 2000 LT. within 20 minutes my wife tapped me on the shoulder and said "we gotta have one of these". happened to run across a great deal on a loaded 05LT :bmw: about a year later and managed 14000 miles the first year of ownership. :dance: :dance:
Most of the younger guys i see riding are either riding HD or sportbikes. Seems like everyone would rather think they are "cool" :histerica than comfortable. I personally would rather be comfortable and ride, ride, ride. :bmw:

#13 ·
My nephew has an LT. He is 28 years old. Of course he has me and another friend, both of us older, on LT's.

#14 ·
I would not consider myself a geezer at 60 :D
But in '79 my 1st bike burgundy Kaw 1000 ST influenced by my work buddy who was stepping up to the Kaw 1300. I rode that bike to Kansas City and knew then it was time to trade speed and raw power for touring. So my next step was GL1200 LTD in '86 an antique now by some standards. Fully enjoyed. The LT is 2 years young and so am I as it has opened up new horizons for me including this forum.
ride safe :bmw:

#15 ·
Bought my first bike when I was 15, a Suzuki TS 125 enduro. Kept till I went in the Navy at 17. A few years later I bought a Honda Interceptor 500 then a Nighthawk S and my last Honda a 1988 Hurricane 1000. Sold that last one when I came back to New York from the military. No bike from 1990 till 2010, twenty years and I had no real thought of buying another one. Kids, family and work took precedence. Then one day driving along and I saw the BMW logo on a motorcycle shop, had never seen a BMW motorcycle shop before, and something made me turn into the lot. I went in and saw a beautiful blue KLT that I thought was brand new. I found out it was a 2002, not a scratch on her. Loaded with all the options, most I didn't even know you could get on a motorcycle. I thought about it all the way home and my wife said I was crazy. Well fast forward one week. Alot of talk to the wife about the dream bike I always wanted and how it was karma that made me look to my right, and I rode her home. The wife still thinks I'm crazy but I smile alot more. :bmw:

#16 ·
Brings back lots of memories reading about how some of you ended up as an "old geezer" with an LT. My first bike was a Honda 550 Four in the mid-70s, straight out of college. Once hooked, I moved up to a CX500. Loved the technology! That led to a GL1000 with Vetter front and back, and that's when my world opened up! Toured constantly, and man what a chick magnet!!! I was never lacking for a passenger. Then, in the early 80's, I saw a new R65 and had to have it. Sold the Wing and never looked back. Marriage stopped the touring, but not before honeymooning on the R65 for 2 weeks. The R65 was traded in on a R80RT, but family responsibilities ended the riding, and the Beemer was sold. Fast forward 30 years...Kids grown, more income, new wife with a better attitude, found a GL1500SE at a good price and took the MSF course over. It was great riding again, but the Wing was NOT a Beemer. Finally, several months ago, I was looking at old airheads on eBay, but my wife did her own searching on Craig's List, and found our 2000 LT locally. Drove 2 1/2 hours to look at it, and after the test ride I was hooked! Rode it home in 40 degree weather, loving the seat and grip heaters.

So I guess I'll wear the "old geezer with an LT" moniker proudly. I don't know anyone on this forum, but you all have brought a smile to my face. As Bob Hope used to say ...."Thanks for the memories". And thanks to BMW for building such an awesome bike for us old guys to enjoy. :bmw:

#17 ·
Here's a young LT'er! I'm 24 and just rode my '99 LT from CT back here to Southern CA. I have no explanation why there aren't more younger LT'ers out there.

I guess younger riders are looking for cheap thrills. for less than $5k, you can often buy motorcycles faster than $100k+ cars! I had an FJR in college and guys my age said I had an old mans bike.

At a rest stop I then asked my friends girlfriend if she was sick of his CBR1000 seat and holding onto her purse. She hopped off his bike, through her purse in my topcase and rode with me for the rest of the night :).

For me, it's not just about going fast 0-60. But traveling and seeing the country in comfort! I have the best of both worlds now. Nothing beats the LT at long distance touring!

No excuse money-wise for not buying an LT. They've been around for 13 years! When you're younger though, you have a lot going on in your life and no money. A college student eating Ramen and trying to get a start on their life may not have time to enjoy the pleasures of touring that an LT excels at. Luckily there are plenty of years ahead for them to come around!

Just my 2 cents.

#18 ·
mcydrake said:
Here's a young LT'er! I'm 24 and just rode my '99 LT from CT back here to Southern CA. I have no explanation why there aren't more younger LT'ers out there.

I guess younger riders are looking for cheap thrills. for less than $5k, you can often buy motorcycles faster than $100k+ cars! I had an FJR in college and guys my age said I had an old mans bike.

At a rest stop I then asked my friends girlfriend if she was sick of his CBR1000 seat and holding onto her purse. She hopped off his bike, through her purse in my topcase and rode with me for the rest of the night :).

For me, it's not just about going fast 0-60. But traveling and seeing the country in comfort! I have the best of both worlds now. Nothing beats the LT at long distance touring!

No excuse money-wise for not buying an LT. They've been around for 13 years! When you're younger though, you have a lot going on in your life and no money. A college student eating Ramen and trying to get a start on their life may not have time to enjoy the pleasures of touring that an LT excels at. Luckily there are plenty of years ahead for them to come around!

Just my 2 cents.
Officially nominated for Post of the Week. :yeah:

I don't have much history in this game. I bought my first bike 7 years ago at age 48. A Honda Shadow 650, I had that for a month before trading it in on a 2005 K1200LT which I had until last September (120k miles) before trading THAT in on an '09 LT. The '05 lives on in North Carolina, where the new owner is still enjoying it. Life is good on the LT.

#19 ·

This IS the post of the week; priceless, steal your buddies girlfriend 'cause she knows who the stud is......................hum a sport bike or a comfortable bike that will fly? :D

#20 ·
jzzmusician said:
According to Cisco's World Technology Report, September 2011, 2/3 of college students would rather have an internet connection than a car.

Given that more people would choose a car over a motorcycle it's no wonder that almost all the people I meet on the road riding motorcycles are "old geezers."

Just like me.

--Bob
I work with young people every day I and I see this also. About 10% the the HS seniors in my classes do not have a driver's license and have no plans to get one. When choosing a college many (including one's with a DL) give one of their top criteria as being "a place where I don't need a car." Most of them regard cars as boxes to get them from point A to point B and they care more about the sound system than anything else.

There are some who have an interest in scooters, but mostly the electric ones. They just see cars (motorcycles are not on their horizon) and driving as something that has to be done but is in no way enjoyable. Many of them can however field-strip a bicycle and put it back together in less time than it takes most people to read an issue of People. It's all a matter of priorities.

#21 ·
Its all good. My grandfather could have reminisced about the good old days when folks were holding on to horses as their favored means of transportation. He was around to see the first sputterning cars interfere with the serenity of travel. Times change, people change and its all good. If the younger set isn't following in our footsteps toward the love of motorcycles they are certainly following our mode of embracing whatever is new and whatever is different from the previous generation.

As long as nobody tries to tell me I can't keep on riding or otherwise pursue happiness in the manner of my own choosing, I will be happy to be an old geezer.

#22 ·
NCCCC1 said:
When I as in my twenties, I believed that "middle age" began at 35. 50, would definitely qualify for an "old Geezer". Now that I am, I'm "only as old as I feel". Beautiful cliche.
I ask you this: Where are the young, new LT riders? I know there are some, but on this site, the median age isn't too low. About ten years ago the motorcycle industry was concerned about the statistic that not too many of the under 40 crowd were starting to ride, certainly, not enough to replace the over 40 getting out. When we were teens, even in the suburbs there were still many places to "legally ride" mini bikes and such. So we started. This may be a rehash of an old thread, but having tried the "search forums" 13 times now, I've never seen anything but "0 results found".
I went from an LT to an RT and feel (and look) ten years younger :histerica :D :histerica

#25 ·
Yep, jobs, kids and no $$$ took me away from the MC for a number of years. I figured why by a Yugo when you can afford a Cadillac, so LT for ME it is!

#26 ·
Back in the 60's and 70's I rode Triumphs pretty much exclusively. I remember when the Honda K bike (4 cyl) came out. I could not imagine riding anything that big and bulky. Rode my Triumph coast to coast and never thought of doing it on anything else.
While I do have and really enjoy the LT, when the time comes that my wife won't ride with me, the LT goes. I just sold my FZ1 and already miss it.
At 63, I still like to go fast - faster than the LT will go. Except the 2 up, the LT just won't cut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.