BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I replaced all my brake fluids, control circuits and wheel circuits.
I filled both halves of the rear reservoir full and tightened the caps.

Today when I rode to work I was happy not to have any fault flashes since this was my first time servicing this system. Part way home, however, both lights started blinking alternately. The brakes seemed to work fine so I rode it home to check things out. I also notice the "clunk" in the brakes that must be the loose rear disc I've read about.

When I got to the rear reservoir, the rear half is empty! :eek:

There is no sign of dribbling from any bleeders or any leakage anywhere on or under the bike. Where did all my fluid go I ask?? :confused:

As I did the fluid exchange, I learned how fast that rear half gets sucked empty but I bled all the air out and then four more fills worth of fluid to be sure I had it!

Anyone?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would be looking at the hoses.I bet you have a leak.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
In view of what you last went through on the flush. I would fill it up again and watch it. If you filled it up with the pucks pushed back (like I suggested) and then applied the brakes with worn pads the level will go down. I have seen the early bikes with almost worn out rear pads have an empty rear reservoir and when we installed the new pads the reservoir was then full. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would make sense but I did not push the pucks back! :confused:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I had my 02' brakes bled @ the dealer and rode it home(10 miles). Next day took off for a 180 mile ride and got 2 miles from the house and bingo. Same faults on the lights as you got. Took it back to the dealer and the rear reservoirs were both low.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I would only get concerned if it happens again. I'm betting the fluid found it's way into the nooks and crannies of those calipers when experiencing full-braking force. ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
On Magazine ABS Info

In the latest On magazine, there is a comment that some dealers are not properly filling the ABS reservoirs when blleding or changing brake pads. Then when the pads bed in, the ABS reservoirs are almost empty. It's kind of a trikle down situation from there and could account for the low fluid levels.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I filled it up again today, bled both front calipers quite a bit and no air came out. I took it for a ride and they work great with no faults. Maybe a fluke!

I'll know in a couple days!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts