BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 has a new front tire and the '08 not so new. I want to use the '99 wheel and tire for a trip on the '08.

The wheels are a different part #. The only difference I can see is the '08 left side brake disk mounting post are taller than the '99. The difference corresponds to the diff between the '99's cast abs ring and the thinner stamped sheet metal one on the '08. The diameter and the tooth count are the same.

If I keep the '99 cast abs ring with the '99's wheel and just change the discs (BMW vs Brembo) , I believe all measurements will be correct and a swap will be ok.

Have I missed something?

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Richdude said:
My '99 has a new front tire and the '08 not so new. I want to use the '99 wheel and tire for a trip on the '08.

The wheels are a different part #. The only difference I can see is the '08 left side brake disk mounting post are taller than the '99. The difference corresponds to the diff between the '99's cast abs ring and the thinner stamped sheet metal one on the '08. The diameter and the tooth count are the same.

If I keep the '99 cast abs ring with the '99's wheel and just change the discs (BMW vs Brembo) , I believe all measurements will be correct and a swap will be ok.

Have I missed something?
Sounds like huge PITA. Swap wheels and rotors?? Just buy a new tire...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red_5 said:
BMW = Brembo

take a look at the inside housing ;)
Sorry, I miss your point. Brembo (not =) BMW. That's why the Brembo rotors stay with the Brembo caliphers.

Ted, I didn't ask what you would do or even if it was a good idea. I simply wanted to know if anyone knows why it should not be done.

There must be somebody who bent a rim and used or tried to use a different year wheel.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Richdude said:
Sorry, I miss your point. Brembo (not =) BMW. That's why the Brembo rotors stay with the Brembo caliphers.

Ted, I didn't ask what you would do or even if it was a good idea. I simply wanted to know if anyone knows why it should not be done.

There must be somebody who bent a rim and used or tried to use a different year wheel.
I bent an 05 rim and replaced it with an earlier model, BUT both model years used the BMW calipers so they were essentially the same wheel.
The part number for the wheels themselves are different for a 99 from a latter model and do not include ABS ring, rotors, bearing, or spacers, so I would think the wheel are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
to my knowledge, at least for the last 10 years, the BMW calipers are made by Brembo, the only difference is the BMW cover on the outside, the inside cover should have "Brembo" on 'em

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Red_5 said:
to my knowledge, at least for the last 10 years, the BMW calipers are made by Brembo, the only difference is the BMW cover on the outside, the inside cover should have "Brembo" on 'em
Although Brembo manufactured the calipers, they are actually 2 different types used and they are not interchangeable between model years (99-01 I believe, and 02-current). The outside branding just makes easier to differentiate the models.
With the Brembo models you need to remove the calipers to replace the pads whereas there is no need with the BMW branded calipers.
Also the front pads are different and cannot be mixed between the older and newer calipers.
Interestingly enough the rear pads are interchangeable.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
The rotor pad offset is not the same for early to the late brake systems. I'm not sure If the caliper or the fork mount is the reason for the different offset. But it is a lot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red_5 said:
Red, actually the '99 Brembos and the '08 BMW brakes are different although they are probably both made by Brembo. The calipers and disks must be kept as a set and not interchanged. The '08 brake disks are slightly larger and I don't think the '99 calipers will go on.

Concerning the interchangeability of front wheels, I believe they are, as long as the wheel and the toothed ABS ring are kept as a set. I tested the '99 wheel with its ABS ring on the '08 and fit and function are good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
just trying to clarify the mfg was Brembo despite the logo's...
I would never suggest not putting the right parts on, especially with brakes.
It probably would have been better to have kept my big mouth shut because it really didn't add anything other than confusion, and for that I apologise.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Red_5 said:
just trying to clarify the mfg was Brembo despite the logo's...
I would never suggest not putting the right parts on, especially with brakes.
It probably would have been better to have kept my big mouth shut because it really didn't add anything other than confusion, and for that I apologize.
No worries! You learn by asking questions or trying answers.. like we all do! ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Earlier callipers were manufactured by Brembo, as per the name on casting.
Later callipers with BMW name on casting, are manufactured by Tokico.
Regards
Stevie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts