BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I did my first oil change on my relatively new to me 2000LT. I changed the oil at the 6000 mile interval. When I was determining the oil level I discovered that my oil window was so dark that I could not see the level until I used a strong flashlight and put the bike on the side stand. My question is will the BMW 15-50 oil have enough detergent in it to clean up the sight glass? If not, what are my options?

Robert

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
From my limited experience, no, it won't clean the glass (plastic). You need to change the glass, which is VERY easy to do. A search should show you the various options some of us have used.
I used a pencil tip soldering iron to melt a hole in the plastic, pulled it out and popped a new one in.

(edit), just had a thought. Before tearing down an engine, I'd add ATF to the oil and run about 500 miles. Amazingly clean. When you get your hands greasy, just for fun rub ATF on your hands. Clean as a whistle. So, was wondering if adding ATF to your oil would clean the window. Personally, I wouldn't try it on my bike. Just wondering out loud.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fpmlt said:
From my limited experience, no, it won't clean the glass (plastic). You need to change the glass, which is VERY easy to do. A search should show you the various options some of us have used.
I used a pencil tip soldering iron to melt a hole in the plastic, pulled it out and popped a new one in.

(edit), just had a thought. Before tearing down an engine, I'd add ATF to the oil and run about 500 miles. Amazingly clean. When you get your hands greasy, just for fun rub ATF on your hands. Clean as a whistle. So, was wondering if adding ATF to your oil would clean the window. Personally, I wouldn't try it on my bike. Just wondering out loud.

I did change the leaking sight glass on my wife's R1100RSL. I just ran a screw into the plastic and yanked it out. No big deal, put it in dry and crossed my fingers. No problems in about 15,000 miles. As far as adding ATF to the engine , I have no problem with that as I bought a long block for a pickup a long time ago and watched then run in the engine with an electric motor driving the engine with gallons of ATF used as a lubricant. I also blew a oil pressure sender on my commuter beater and ran through 13 quarts of oil til I was down to my last two quarts of ATF. I got home with no harm to the engine at all.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
When I was a few years younger, my Dad had me changing oil in his vehicles.
Always 4 qts oil, 1 qt ATF. Tore into one of his Chevy 350 w/300k on it.
No measurable wear on bearings.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts