BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assumed that since my LT was a '05 the windshield fogging issue was resolved. But when I went out to the garage today I saw what appeared to be a film on the shield. I thought it was just from sitting the the garage. But when I tried to clean it the film seemed to be between the outside and inside layers. It is me or is this the fogging issue I have read about? Will BMW cover it under warranty?

Also, I may just go with a Cee Baileys .... how difficult to swap shileds? How do those chrome thingies come off?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK .... just found the notes on the windshield on ths HOW page. I think I got the fact that the chrome thingies just pry up and there may be a cracking noise. Wonder if it's a good idea to order a spare set of these just in case? Anyone know the cost?

·
Registered
664 Posts
They are pretty cheap if I remember correct... Something like $23 for both, but I'm not 100% positive. I would absolutely go with the Cee Baileys windshield. It is far superior to ANYTHING else out there. That was the best improvement to the bike I've made. Mine is going on it's third year and it is still crystal clear. I got the #2 in the stock height with a little tint. If I ever need another one I will get it a few inches shorter.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
GSinNC said:
OK .... just found the notes on the windshield on ths HOW page. I think I got the fact that the chrome thingies just pry up and there may be a cracking noise. Wonder if it's a good idea to order a spare set of these just in case? Anyone know the cost?
I use a nylon windshield tool, but you could make something like it out of a sturdy spatula handle. Grind it to a radius so it will fit under the chrome covers. While lifting the cover have a small screw driver in the other hand to push in on the metal tabs. The covers will come off without the "cracking" noise.

I have a Cee Bailey #2, -2" which is the stock shape and 2 inches shorter. I like the windshield's height and I also like the slight tint.

Good luck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ed, the windshield is under warranty so go to the dealer and have them order you a new one.. The one from the factory is made in Germany and is known for its fogging... The warranty one is made in the US and doesn't fog..I just went through this too..............Regards Pete

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
ErnieA said:
I use a nylon windshield tool, but you could make something like it out of a sturdy spatula handle. Grind it to a radius so it will fit under the chrome covers. While lifting the cover have a small screw driver in the other hand to push in on the metal tabs. The covers will come off without the "cracking" noise.
Ernie, that sounds intriguing. Having just changed shields again I could use a tool like that. Can you post a pic?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
hschisler said:
Ernie, that sounds intriguing. Having just changed shields again I could use a tool like that. Can you post a pic? Thanks.
Sure. I got mine from the Snap-on Tool Distributor that frequents our facility.

It is 3/4 inches wide, 1/4 inches thick and 8 inches long.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
petepeterson said:
Ed, the windshield is under warranty so go to the dealer and have them order you a new one.. The one from the factory is made in Germany and is known for its fogging... The warranty one is made in the US and doesn't fog..I just went through this too..............Regards Pete

Thanks! That is what I had hoped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts