BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a leak in the rear end of my 2001 LT. It is coming out of the boot that encircles the drive shaft. I changed the oil and the leak started right after that. I think it is a seal and I have picked up a seal to go back in it's place, but I am now got a case cold feet.
Anybody tackled this before and have any pointers?
And can this be done with out tearing the entire rear apart?

It isn't even a drip, but keeps the arm below the boot damp enough to gather up brake dust when I ride for while.

Lewis

·
Registered
749 Posts
Mine has been doing that for many miles. Not damp but just sticky enough to make the dirt stick to it. I have read some old threads that say that is pretty normal and nothing to get excited about until it starts to really drip, if it ever does! I clean it off with some 409 and it looks good for a week or so of daily riding.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Many here have reported similar seepage in that area. It is possible you overfilled the rear end and that may cause some fluid to blow by the seal. My 99 has always collected brake dust due to the rear end oil (seepage) you describe. Try peeling back the rubber boot and see how much oil is in there. If it is less than a half a teaspoonful, button it up and ride.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
patrick2000 said:
Many here have reported similar seepage in that area. It is possible you overfilled the rear end and that may cause some fluid to blow by the seal. My 99 has always collected brake dust due to the rear end oil (seepage) you describe. Try peeling back the rubber boot and see how much oil is in there. If it is less than a half a teaspoonful, button it up and ride.
All right! I was afraid it was the start of the rear end failure I read so much about.

Lewis

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
That seal is prone to leakage. If it is not bad, or even if it occasionally drips a drop or two, just keep riding. You can loosen the band and pull the boot away to clean it out, and see how bad it gets again.

It is not a sign of a problem worse than just the leak itself.

Now if the big seal behind the wheel starts to leak, another story altogether!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
I'll pull the boot back tomorrow and see how much oil is there. Then I'll ride.

Lewis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts