BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, how many of us belong to AARP?

Been thinkin about it to save some $$$ on hotel rooms. What is YOUR experience, is it worth joining????

BTW, I prolly got a few years yet to qualify!!!! heh, heh, heh....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think the AARP discount is any better then AAA. I carry a AAA card - since I am way to young for the other(eligible in three months)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe it's not a concern for you but...have you checked out thier political affiliations lately?
I'll let you look into that and step away.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i plan to join, but not for the discount. i support many of their political objectives. i figure one day soon my wife and i will need affordable medicine and healthcare.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'm a member and have been for awhile. Hell, I even have an official Medicare Card. Anyway, The AARP to me is a lot like the NRA and AMA. I don't always agree with everything they do but overall I believe they do much more good than harm. Oh yea, I use the discount at hotels too. Sometimes the clerk actually asks to see the card!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Macker said:
Maybe it's not a concern for you but...have you checked out thier political affiliations lately?
I'll let you look into that and step away.
I agree, EXTREMELY Liberal. BTW: It's not just lately; they have always been that way.

I can't support those “FOR PROFIT” originations that lower the standards of our wonderful country.

I’ll use my AAA and such.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
how many of us joined AARP

justincase said:
I can't support those “FOR PROFIT” originations that lower the standards of our wonderful country.
gee, after five years under bush, i don't see how it could get much MORE wonderful. is it possible to be TOO wonderful?

<snicker>

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree Bush is no Ronald Reagan, but he's doing well.

At least we don't have to be embarrassed like we were under Clinton, and/or Carter.

I know you don't care for Bush, many don't like him (kinda how my side felt during the Clinton years). I respect your opinion even when we don't agree...

I'm happy to see you also share a good sense of humor.

Reactions: gunny

·
Registered
749 Posts
Gary......who is going to pay for your medicine and health care...it ain't free, you know! Your kids and mine will be paying for it, that's who.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hawg said:
Been thinkin about it to save some $$$ on hotel rooms.
Have you tried negotiating directly with the hotel, some time you can get a better deal than going through the chain reservation system.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
justincase said:
I respect your opinion even when we don't agree...
in the immortal words of william f. buckley junior ... if you were right i'd agree with you!

heh heh. thanks for the kind thoughts.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Daman858 said:
Gary......who is going to pay for your medicine and health care...it ain't free, you know! Your kids and mine will be paying for it, that's who.
don't mean to put words in your mouth, but i think the bigger question is, "should more of our discretionary tax revenue be spent on the good of our own people."

the answer to THAT question is, i think, YES.

i love tax breaks as much as the next guy, and i'd LOVE it if we could enjoy a high standard of living while paying less taxes. but if we insist in waging foreign wars we should not also be in the business of cutting taxes.

look at it this way. you want an LT, but you just got laid off from work. so you take out a second mortgage and buy the LT anyway.

you can do it but what you are doing is mortgaging your future. and more than once. foreign governments, notably the chinese and the japanese, own our debt. you can make the argument that it is in their interest to extend us credit, but i sure don't get the warm fuzzies when the U.S. operates in the red this way.

add katrina and escalating energy prices and pretty soon you are looking at some pretty serious financial straits. if civil war breaks out in iraq (looks like 50/50 chance right now) things will get ugly fast.

short answer: affordable healthcare is expensive. but no more so than some of the other pricey endeavors we've taken on lately. i think the answer is to spend money wisely, not extravagantly.

republicans used to be fiscally responsible. remember? reagan was. it is very unfortunate that bush seems to embody the worst of both parties. a tax-cutting, war-mongering big spender. heaven help us.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I hate to quote Barney Frank but....

Barney and I don't exactly see eye to eye on too many things but he had a great quote.

"If you think medical care is expensive now, wait till its free"
Barney Frank - D-MA

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
Hmmmm,

KBandit said:
heaven help us.
And all this time you claimed to be for the separation of church and state

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Card carrying member for years. They make my wife's medicines a LOT cheaper.

I will not get into politics and health care, but I will say this. Today I had a young (20 year old) man from Kwait coming to my office for a general check up (he is a student at ASU) and told me that he did not know anything about medical insurance or how it works as health care is absolutely free in his country. Enough said.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I camp most of the time, and really don't have that much experience on what AARP membership saves in that regard, but . . . I'm a member and like their publications, and the fact that they seem more interested in protecting me than in falling in-line with either political party.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't belong. Don't like thier politics. Best way to get a good discount, I have found, is negotiate it yourself. Have been to very few hotels/motels that won't do that, especially if you roll in about 7-8PM and they have empty rooms galore.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Justin,

Hey, Paully...whaaat...I want my cut You Son-of-a-!*[email protected]!

Love the Avatar. My favorite show (The Sopranos, for those of you who don't watch). The only reason for having HBO!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Macker said:
Justin,

Love the Avatar. My favorite show (The Sopranos, for those of you who don't watch). The only reason for having HBO!
I agree with the Sopranos are good...But another reason for HBO is, without a doubt, "CURB your Enthusiasm" (yes I know, the David’s are to the left of John_Heinz-Kerry/Clintons...maybe even left of Howard Dean)...But Larry is very FUNNY. I choke on some of the political humor...even though I admit it is funny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts