BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(First (serious) post), ABS, $2800.WOW. FD, slave cylinder, shift linkage. What else? The great thing is that the used price of LTs has gone down where the average Joe can afford one, the bad news, the average Joe cannot afford to fix one. I got this great 03 with 36k, but I am retired, on fixed income. I know, if you can't afford to fix one then you should not buy one. I see that now since I have been on this forum. Love the bike, I will just ride it and hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Doesn't mean everything is necessarily going to happen to you. Shift linkage is not a bad deal. If you can learn to do the basics yourself it won't be so bad. Attend a tech session or two or some CCRs that will help. I know someone who hosted a tech session just so he could learn the how to from others. Good idea.

·
Registered
679 Posts
On my 2000 LT, the tires wore out.....the headlight burned out.....the...the....did I mention the tires wore out? :rotf: :histerica Seems like the choices are: Ride it and deal with it, or get rid of it and buy a brand new bike that has a bullet proof warrenty and stop worrying! :cool: :dance:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Shotgun,

You are reading way too much (on this forum and maybe others) about the LT's possible failures. People tend to post when they have had a bad experience. Chances are good that the things you are reading about will never happen to you. However , when you do have a problem with your LT you can find the answer here.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
My LT keeps burning fuel... It may be related to the miles I put on it! :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You are hearing all of our collective bitching. Fact is, most of us ride incredibly long distances without issues. Use what you read as a guide for the maintenance you should plan on doing. If you drill the weep hole for the slave cylinder, clean and lube the shift linkage (as a couple of examples) before the potential 'problems' surface life will most likely be good. Relax, and enjoy the ride. If you're not mechanically inclined check out 'Tech Parties' held in you're area. Many of us enjoy wrenching on these wonderful machines and would be glad to help you fine tune your bike.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
80,000 miles of worry free miles on my LT before it was totaled. Had to fix the Shift linkage once but that was it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Once I drilled the weep holes and replaced the clutch plate my biggest problem is that I'm always wanting to ride! :bike:

·
Registered
418 Posts
117,000 miles on my 2001 LT (purchased new in AUG 2000).
Burned through about 20 sets of tires, Ohlin shocks rebuilt twice.
Replaced the wing rubber bumper, once, after a drop.
Regular maintenance.
Heated grips had to be replaced, once.
Otherwise, keep the tire pressure and fluid levels up and just ride it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My LT has one major flaw. The older I get, the heavier it gets.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had to change my brake pads once, oh and the tires twice now. The one reoccurring major problem though is that I keep driving it, and I have yet to find a way to wipe the grin off my face afterwards.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Just relax and stay up to date on preventative maintenance. Change the fluids, including hydraulic and do what has been suggested above.

50,000 trouble free miles over 8 years and a member of the 96% club.

·
Registered
335 Posts
On my first LT I had no major problems in more than 40K miles. It was down one time for for about three days and one hour due to mechanical failure, and that was three days waiting for parts to arrive from Bob's BMW and one hour to replace one broken element in the shift linkage. If the same thing ever happens to me again on my newer LT, I believe I can cut that one hour in half.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Biggest problem with BMW's in general is the owners they like to

B itch
M oan
W hine

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
While comming across west Texas, at 80mph, I had to stop every three hours for gas.

Around 8 years ago I looked at how often I drove my car and decided it was cheaper to rent a car, whenever I needed one, than it was to own one.

For me the major problem with the LT is the tires are very expensive.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good Show. I have a 2000 LT with 123,000 miles on it. Had the FD overhauled at dealers (had not failed but generating chips and noisy) and they botched it. Had the same problem at 115,000 miles, found someone that understood how to do the job properly. Only have 8,000 miles on this one but all seems well. The highest maintenance item for the beast is tires, they seem to need to be replaced every 20,000 miles or so. Otherwise, no significant maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I had 60,000 trouble free miles in 4 years on my 03LTE until I totalled it. That 8 miles I drove after the clutch slipped and that 40 miles from Gateway to Grand Junction when the FD went out really throwed a kink in things............ :histerica

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I like the rest had no serious issues with my LT during the time I owned it...
I think I had to replace the rear master cylinder brake line... $20.00 at the hydraulic shop for a custom stainless steel replacement...

I did the slave cylinder weep hole drill pro-actively ( before my clutch went out ) And never had an issue... Final drive was fine as well.. According to the statistics.. If your drive hasn't failed by 60K miles.. It likely won't.

My issue was with the sheer weight of the beastie... I just got tired of having to be perfect all the time at slow speeds... I wanted to relax a little.. So I sold my LT and got a CLC...

Then I got an RT...

Then I got a GS..

Then I got an R65.....

So you see, It's really more of a sickness than anything else.. Get one and you'll want all of them...

John

·
Registered
269 Posts
Throw out bearing and trany rebuild. $5000. Will continue to ride and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts