BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the group, been in the shadows for a few years..

I purchased an '02 1200lt (107K) last year knowing the rear seal was bad. I drove her out Cali putting on a few thousand miles and had a blast around the curves of Kings Canyon. The clutch was like an old rubber band, wind it up enough it'll get you going. Well I've got this month off and time to take her apart. I'm kinda of a half-assed full-assed person so I've pulled the engine and tranny out of the bike together. The breather tube is shot and the top of the engine looks like the San Andreas tar pits so figured I'd clean that nicely. And it's only like 2 more screws so why the hell not. >:)

To my issue the clutch slave cylinder was "full" of gear oil, and the push-rod is covered end to end in it. Is there just the one seal at the rear of the tranny for this? What seals the front? I've looked at pictures a bunch and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Is there a spec for that seal depth in case the current one is wrong? My Clymer manual doesn't show up till midweek :grin:

Cheers
Gary

'98 R1100RT current
'02 K1200LT in progress
'02 K1200LT donated

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Hello all, new to the group, been in the shadows for a few years..

I purchased an '02 1200lt (107K) last year knowing the rear seal was bad. I drove her out Cali putting on a few thousand miles and had a blast around the curves of Kings Canyon. The clutch was like an old rubber band, wind it up enough it'll get you going. Well I've got this month off and time to take her apart. I'm kinda of a half-assed full-assed person so I've pulled the engine and tranny out of the bike together. The breather tube is shot and the top of the engine looks like the San Andreas tar pits so figured I'd clean that nicely. And it's only like 2 more screws so why the hell not. >:)

To my issue the clutch slave cylinder was "full" of gear oil, and the push-rod is covered end to end in it. Is there just the one seal at the rear of the tranny for this? What seals the front? I've looked at pictures a bunch and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Is there a spec for that seal depth in case the current one is wrong? My Clymer manual doesn't show up till midweek :grin:

Cheers
Gary

'98 R1100RT current
'02 K1200LT in progress
'02 K1200LT donated

Welcome Gary and yes, that is the only seal for the slave area so if you have gear oil on the push-rod, the seal in the slave cavity is most certainly bad.

In the tools>> technical>>files area on this forum, there is a document called LT Special Tools and that has the specifications for all the special tools you would need to do the clutch and seals. There are a couple on this site that loan out these tools for the cost of postage so if you are not able to manufacture the tools, you might be able to borrow a set or use the diagrams to measure however, two of the seals are critical in set depth or they will surely leak. The slave seal is one and the output shaft is the other. There are 3 other seals to be concerned about, the main engine seal and the input shaft seal plus there is an O-ring behind the clutch housing nut that causes many people grief due to its poor composition.

Let us know if we can be of assistance in your effort.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I think you'll discover that the gear oil is coming through the transmission seal and not the clutch slave seal.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Just to be clear on where your oil is coming from and the seals involved, I am posting a couple pictures so there is no confusion. The seal where the slave screws in is the culprit and the first picture. The shaft that contains the push-rod then extends through the transmission and out the front of the transmission and there is a seal there ( input shaft seal ) however, any oil leaking there would go into the clutch housing and not travel back up the push-rod to the clutch. The push-rod extends out the hole in the second picture into the diaphragm spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Some people drill a tiny weep hole in the bottom of the cast for the slave cylinder and one under the clutch for oil from the Oring or rear main seal. If you ever blow out a slave cylinder you can find it before it pumps fluid down the shaft.

Reactions: tvguy and Patric

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Be sure to replace the seal AND the slave cylinder! The tiny bearing in the slave piston will fail with the slightest provocation, or seemingly for no reason at all. Once that bearing gets tight, the piston spins in the cylinder, immediate fail and brake fluid in the clutch.

Reactions: Patric
1 - 6 of 6 Posts