BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd query, but one of you guys will surely have an opinion... :rolleyes:

One of my work colleagues, who has a Hardly Able-son, just asked me what kind of oil or lubricant to use inside the throttle & clutch cables and what method do I use, cause he's about to install new ones.
:eek2:

I politely informed him I ride BMW's, we don't "oil" or "lubricate" our cables, as that would screw them up, maybe not initially, but certainly as dust and grime builds up and the lubricant gets clogged....

Apparently its discussed a lot on the HD forums, and there's lots of "magic" tools and lubricants for sale to do this seemingly necessary task....

I suggested he contact the cables supplier for his advice... as it wasn't something I had any knowledge of.
Since a few of you guys are previous and/or concurrent HD owners... are they blowing smoke out of his arse, or is there some truth to this myth?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,178 Posts
I used to "oil" the cables on my GT-750 regularly. But the BMW cables have teflon coating on the inner cable and oil will mess that up.

My Suzuki did not have that coating and needed regular oiling. I used a thing that looked like a syringe only instead of a needle fitting on the end it was open. There were split rubber bushes that would go over the outer cable sheath and then insert into the syringe. A hose clamp would sort of seal the damn thing and then you could squirt the oil into the cable. I think I got it from a J. C. Whitney's Catalog.

But this is what most people are using today.

Attachments

Reactions: Patric and cws

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Jez is correct. BMW cables are teflon lined and no lube is recommended. Cable change out on some sort of basis is the way to go. Yes, I use to ride HD and yes, lube was a regular duty.

Reactions: Patric and cws
1 - 3 of 3 Posts