BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil under bike and after cleaning underside of front end, drips appearing on bottom two left hand bolts of pump cover.
Removed connectors for oil pressure and water temperature, oil in cover for water temperature switch. Noticed open hole where cables from switches disappear. Is this supposed to be open? Manual mentions a cable hole but not plug or seal for it...
I'm not good mechanically and my pet tech is away for three weeks, any advice?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
The hole is OK, normal. I would first clean up the area very good and then watch it for leaks. It looks like the source of your leak may be higher up on the front cover. Those bolts you circled are on the water side of the oil/water pump so no oil should be there.

Reactions: DaveIves

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
The hole is OK, normal. I would first clean up the area very good and then watch it for leaks. It looks like the source of your leak may be higher up on the front cover. Those bolts you circled are on the water side of the oil/water pump so no oil should be there.
I would check for the most common source of oil on an LT engine ... failed breather tube. That will let oil run all over the engine and it looks like yours has a lot of light oily/dirt residue on the front of it. That is consistent with a breather tube letting oily mist waft around the engine.

Reactions: kbob12 and DaveIves

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check for the most common source of oil on an LT engine ... failed breather tube. That will let oil run all over the engine and it looks like yours has a lot of light oily/dirt residue on the front of it. That is consistent with a breather tube letting oily mist waft around the engine.
Numpty here! Where do I find the breather tube?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Numpty here! Where do I find the breather tube?

On the left side of the engine above the block and inside of the throttle bodies. If you have a Clymer manual, you should be able to locate it easily. If not, you should buy one. :grin:

Another place to look is the microfiche diagrams at MaxBMW or Bob’s BMW.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Breather tube here.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
With a good LED flashlight, you can look in over the front fender between the radiators and see the top of the engine without taking off any Tupperware. If it is covered with oil, then the breather tube is probably in the process of cracking and disintegrating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts